Can't decide. Help!

DonnieH

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have the usual wading jacket but looking for a packable (I have seen the other threads) but don't want to spend a lot on something that will only be pulled out the bag on sunny days when there is a temporary downpour.

I'm a 44" chest in suit jackets etc and given many are common sizes I am leaning towards an XL as it will be thrown over gear I may already be wearing.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to these:-

Wychwood Light Waterproof Jacket

Savage Gear Salt Pack-Lite

Vass-Tex 175 Breathable Lightweight Smock

Anyone got any of these that can recommend?

P!scator

Reaction score
seriously, Give Philip at Nomad UK a call, the Explorer and thistle jackets are top quality and totaly waterproof, I wore my thistle jacket yesterday on the Spey, rained hard but I was completely dry. I've ordered 2 jackets from Philip now, got good offers, great service and were delivered within a week each time

lowforcefly

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have the usual wading jacket but looking for a packable (I have seen the other threads) but don't want to spend a lot on something that will only be pulled out the bag on sunny days when there is a temporary downpour.

I'm a 44" chest in suit jackets etc and given many are common sizes I am leaning towards an XL as it will be thrown over gear I may already be wearing.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to these:-

Wychwood Light Waterproof Jacket

Savage Gear Salt Pack-Lite

Vass-Tex 175 Breathable Lightweight Smock

Anyone got any of these that can recommend?
I can only comment on the Vass, which I have had for a few years, and so it is possibly an old model.
It is very pack-able, and very waterproof, but the press stud closure at the neck is a real pain as the 'Smock' is a very soft, rubberised, material, which makes the, tiny, very strong, press studs a bugger to line up, and close, with one hand. They are the ring type which you have to get pretty aligned or they will not close, there is a large, baggy, infill piece at the neck, which does stop the water somewhat, so I usually don't bother with press studs unless it really heavy rain, where the baggy infill acts like a funnel.
Remember it is a 'Smock' and can be a faff if it's only showers...it's 'On or Off,' getting at gear underneath is ...somewhat interesting ?
Breathable it isn't very ...if its warm you will leak, a lot...
The cuffs are just elasticated, which I find ride up your fore arm when casting...annoying after a few chucks.
For the price it is... OK?...It is very, very, waterproof... that said I now keep it in the car, in case of an emergency like breaking down, I don't fish in it?
I, since, bought a Loop lightweight...which has better cuffs, better hood, and is zipped....not as water proof though, until I reproofed it, but the style is much more user friendly.

Mel....