Cancun Mexico 2020

sewinfly

Reaction score
Has anyone fished Cancun off the beach on the fly,species, etc
Looking possibly next year, but not sure what area yet.

Cheers

Sewinfly................

David R

Reaction score
Hi sewenfly I did a bit of flyfishing in the lagoons with a tour guide flyfishing tours a think it was the fishig was amazing catching barracudas these are some fish to catch but if your of the beach I suppose you could catch red snappers etc there also hard fighters I was told good luck!!

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
We stayed in an all inclusive resort on Rivera Maya a few years ago, near Playa Del Carmen. I caught bonefish on the fly before breakfast most mornings. There were also a couple of milkfish and some others I could not identify. I was fishing blind, rather than conventional sight fishing, wading out as deep as I dared, then casting back towards the beach and into likely looking areas. Nothing huge, average about a pound but even a half pound bonefish puts up a good scrap. Especially when a big barracuda decides it wants it for breakfast! That was scary. This thing came flying past me and grabbed the bonefish right in front of me.
The problem is most of the beaches are part of individual resorts and security will move you on. I fished early in the morning to avoid the security guards. If you can find somewhere quieter I am sure you could do ok.
Tight lines!

westie4566

Reaction score
That was a plan of mine that was scuppered many moons ago!

Was due to go to Cancun in May 2009, had it all sussed re the the lagoon/beach fishing and the relevant permits secured.

Two and half weeks prior to our departure the blasted swine flu thing started.....so holiday cancelled.

Ended up spending 10 days, last minute, down in Hurghada snorkelling round the reefs. Whilst not quite the same it was still a bloody good holiday. The fish there and their variety was stunning.