Canadian Affair & rods

Karl-K

Reaction score
When I’ve fished BC before I’ve used the guides rods, but taking my own this time. I haven’t invested in travel rods so taking 2 or 3 x 4 piece rods in a bazooka type tube, if I’m reading Canadian Affairs luggage allowance properly, I think you can take a rod tube up to 20kg free of charge, just wondered if anyone has previously taken a rod tube with this carrier and how did you get on?

Birkin

Reaction score
A rod tube is classed as sporting goods and as you say you are allowed up to 20kg on top of the 23kg of hold luggage and 8 kg of cabin luggage. I traveled from Manchester to Vancouver with Canadian Affairs who use Air Transat as the carrier and the planes have plenty of leg room and serve a nice glass of wine with your meal. Very French.
Once you have checked in both pieces of luggage your main bagage goes through in the normal way and you then take your rod tube to a different loading and security check.
On arrival in Vancouver you pass through passport control and then to the baggage carousel to pick up your luggage. Once you have this there is another pick up point to collect the rod tube.
If you are travelling in a group it is worth sending someone who gets their case first over to the rod tube retreival area.
I have travaled over 9 times and only had a problem ones when my tube did not arrive at the pick up place in Manchester on my return. After filling out a form at the airport my tube arrived at my home address 3 days later.

Karl-K

Reaction score
Thanks for the info👍, we did book an extra bag, but it looks like we can use this for extra gear, clothes etc