Cadence fly rods

chriswjx

Reaction score
If anyone else has been interested in the these new Ian Gordon design rods.

Screenshot_20211120-122829_Facebook.jpg

chriswjx

Reaction score
Just launched on their website.

Very interesting concept offering 2 alternatives for sections 4-5 to change the action and rating of the 1 rod.

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score
I saw the prototypes of this model earlier this year, though I didn't cast them. I did test-cast a Cadence 11 ft d-h prototype which I thought fantastic - and immediately placed an order for one, I was so impressed. I haven't bought a new rod for about 8 years now and up till then haven't wanted to, but the Cascade blew me away and I 'made enquiries' that day. Hopefully the shorter models will be available soon, too.

To describe it, as I remember; Crisp recovery but not stiff, light, sensitive, accurate. As easy to overhead with as to Spey. In the short session I had with it I was covering more water than I could with my other 11 fters and with equal precision. A lovely, lively rod and a joy to play with.
Good luck to them, all really decent guys.
James.

Rrrr

Reaction score
James robbins who owns cadence was brand manager for shakespeare and designed alot of their stuff. Also had a hand in the oracle and agility fly rods as far as i know so got a feeling these could be good.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Sunset_angler

Reaction score
James robbins who owns cadence was brand manager for shakespeare and designed alot of their stuff. Also had a hand in the oracle and agility fly rods as far as i know so got a feeling these could be good.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
James Robbins is an absolute gentleman and I wish him all the best wishes with this venture

Petekd

Reaction score
I had a play with one of the prototypes early this year and was mightily impressed with it, can’t remember which one though but by god it didn’t half throw a line! It was early spring, heavy water and it made light work of the 15’ of T18 and big tube on the end, pinging to the far side of the Blackwater. If I was in the market for a new toy I’d definitely be having a long look at them.

charlieH

Reaction score
This may be of interest to those based near the Wye. Just got a marketing email advertising this...

I might try to go to this, but don't do Facebook which seems to be the only place this is promoted (there's no mention of it on the Cadence website, so far as I can see). Can anyone tell me whether there's any pre-registration needed or can one just pitch up on the day?

chriswjx

Reaction score
I might try to go to this, but don't do Facebook which seems to be the only place this is promoted (there's no mention of it on the Cadence website, so far as I can see). Can anyone tell me whether there's any pre-registration needed or can one just pitch up on the day?

I got this via email (subscribed to their mailing list re: fly fishing when it was first announced). I would presume you should just be able to turn up?

I'll forward you the email I got from them.

charlieH

Reaction score
I got this via email (subscribed to their mailing list re: fly fishing when it was first announced). I would presume you should just be able to turn up?

I'll forward you the email I got from them.
Many thanks Chris - email received. At the bottom it says 'Let us know if you're attending', but when I click this it just redirects me to Facebook. I'll see how things work out nearer the time, and if I can get over there for a couple of hours I'll just send them an old fashioned email!

I really don't need any new rods, but have great respect for Ian Gordon so would be interested to see what he's come up with.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Yep, I figure the Facebook event is more of a social media exposure system, and that they're plenty happy for folk to just turn up.

Just double checked the event in case there was a ticketing system etc and saw this.

1637754589142.png

So think you're safe just turning up on the day.

Isisalar

Reaction score
The coarse rods, and reels, are generally well regarded and if I recall correctly they're sold through Angling direct so should be available easily.

airsprite

Reaction score
James is a friend, so i just spoke to him about this.
Anyone can just turn up at Bigsweir on the day, however it would help if people could confirm via Facebook or Email James at jcrobbins@cadencefishing.com

Ive not tried the rods yet, but i know James and Ian have spent a lot of time getting them right, so they should be something special.

Steve

charlieH

Reaction score
James is a friend, so i just spoke to him about this.
Anyone can just turn up at Bigsweir on the day, however it would help if people could confirm via Facebook or Email James at jcrobbins@cadencefishing.com

Ive not tried the rods yet, but i know James and Ian have spent a lot of time getting them right, so they should be something special.

Steve

Thanks for that Airsprite. I'll send him an email if it looks like I can manage to get there.

sewinfly

Reaction score
Hoping to get to Bigsweir and have a look at the man in action.

10:00 am - 4:00 pm

Sewinfly...............

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Looks very interesting and sensibly priced. They are also set up to supply Ireland with Irish VAT charged at the point of sale so should 🤞 be no Brexit hassle on import.
It will be good to hear on people get on with them especially the shorter lighter line weight models.

chriswjx

Reaction score
This might interest folk. For the price I'd rather my lovely new (to me) danielsson, but it seems a good deal.

Screenshot_20211130-183815_Facebook.jpg

rytenuff

Reaction score
The 15Ft rod. This is a 6 piece rod with a further two options. This would make a total of 10 sections. Would the supplied case be large enough to accommodate all these sections or do you have to decide before you leave the house/car which sections to take? This would be awkward if you were unfamiliar with the river you were intending to fish and did not know which set up would be optimal, especially if your transport needed to be parked some distance from the beat.

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score
From what I recall of the prototypes I saw last year the rod socks were made to take all the sections. I can't imagine their production line models' socks and tubes won't accommodate all the pieces, so you'd be able to choose which to use once you've seen your water.

If you can't see the water and have a walk then probably best to carry all the sections in the tube and set up once by the bank - but at least you're just carrying one rod tube rather than two or three which, presuming you want those options, would be the alternative.

charlieH

Reaction score
I have never known you buy a new rod, do you expect them to be cheap on Ebay anytime soon?

🖕

Maybe not soon, but in time, yes, they'll no doubt start to pop up on Ebay - when something newer and shinier comes along to catch people's eyes. Do you think that rod design moves on so fast that anyone using a five year old model is putting themselves at a significant disadvantage? At least one of my rods, currently residing in a Morayshire garage, is more like 20 years old, but funnily enough it still seems to work OK.