BW Walker 15' Salmon #10-12

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
Going through some of my old mans old salmon gear with bit of a lump in my throat, time to get rid and make way for newer stuff. Any thoughts on this rod?
8DAB4ADE-6F23-4D07-B7D1-87FE19DD5A93.jpeg

noeyedeer

Reaction score
My first Salmon rod was the B&W Norway 10-12. Can't tell from the pic if that one is a Norway model or not.
Still got it - cost me next to nothing on eBay tbh (got a bargain!) and it will throw any line I can find to put on it.

If I was ever anywhere where I thought I'd hook an absolute monster, I'd probably trust this rod over any other........

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
My first Salmon rod was the B&W Norway 10-12. Can't tell from the pic if that one is a Norway model or not.
Still got it - cost me next to nothing on eBay tbh (got a bargain!) and it will throw any line I can find to put on it.

If I was ever anywhere where I thought I'd hook an absolute monster, I'd probably trust this rod over any other........

There are no markings to suggest it’s the Norway. I think the model is the Walker - Salmon?i know my Dad had a couple of Tweed fish over 20lbs on that very rod, I was there for one of them.

jtkccc

Reaction score
If you look on the 'Rods' forum sub forum B&W you will find more info. Bit sketchy my understanding but think they made the Walker and the Bruce with different actions. I have an old 14ft glass B&W, I must of been a bit stronger in those days!

Rennie

Reaction score
Stewart4wd. In its day that was "The" Salmon rod of choice, the 15ft Walker .Probably more popular than the Hardy of the day, B+W sold uggins of them.
Stronger with a much better action than the Bruce range of rods and better finish than the Expert and Norway ranges with better carbon and tweaked actions by comparison. A damn fine all rounder and an exceedingly capable rod to boot.Sadly as all rods from an earlier era, heavy and slower and deeper loading than the current stable of rods. Again sadly, there's loads out there some in amazing condition too and classic although they were I doubt there will be much call for them unless there's some one who really wants one, I wouldn't go as far as to call one vintage either!.I would presume cash value wouldn't be too much at best whatever you could get for it, I'd expect some offers to be rather insulting!.You could do far worse than loading it up with a DT 11 and giving it a cast from time to time, fine way to remember your dad!.
Pedro.

p.s, noeyedeer I had the 15ft Norway myself, a fine strong rod, the second strongest rod B+W produced at the time.The Strongest being the Expert HD, and thats according to B+W themselves!

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
If you look on the 'Rods' forum sub forum B&W you will find more info. Bit sketchy my understanding but think they made the Walker and the Bruce with different actions. I have an old 14ft glass B&W, I must of been a bit stronger in those days!
Yeh that post is actually in the B&W sub forum! Had a quick scan through but didn’t see anything directly related to that rod but yeh I remember that now about the different actions.

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
Stewart4wd. In its day that was "The" Salmon rod of choice, the 15ft Walker .Probably more popular than the Hardy of the day, B+W sold uggins of them.
Stronger with a much better action than the Bruce range of rods and better finish than the Expert and Norway ranges with better carbon and tweaked actions by comparison. A damn fine all rounder and an exceedingly capable rod to boot.Sadly as all rods from an earlier era, heavy and slower and deeper loading than the current stable of rods. Again sadly, there's loads out there some in amazing condition too and classic although they were I doubt there will be much call for them unless there's some one who really wants one, I wouldn't go as far as to call one vintage either!.I would presume cash value wouldn't be too much at best whatever you could get for it, I'd expect some offers to be rather insulting!.You could do far worse than loading it up with a DT 11 and giving it a cast from time to time, fine way to remember your dad!.
Pedro.

p.s, noeyedeer I had the 15ft Norway myself, a fine strong rod, the second strongest rod B+W produced at the time.The Strongest being the Expert HD, and thats according to B+W themselves!
Thanks Rennie, I knew a few folk on here would be knowledgable about them. I wasn’t expecting it to be worth more than spares value really but I’ve got that and a Hardy Graphite 7/8 10’6” from about the same era and a few other cheaper rods of varying lengths and weights. The rods are free to a good home if anyone wants them, I think he’d have liked someone to catch another fish on them or at least try! I’ve got plenty of my own.

ArchieL

Reaction score
I would not be selling it and as Rennie said i would keep it and get a line for it and bring it out a few times each year when there is fish about and you have a good chance. I bet if you had a fish on that rod then your beer and whisky that night would taste mighty sweet and bring a tear to your eye.. No point selling as the offers will be low. I would love to be able to take out all the fishing gear left to me by my late grandfather but i would be arrested within minutes of opening the box as it was all ripping gear and large trebles he left me :)

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
I would not be selling it and as Rennie said i would keep it and get a line for it and bring it out a few times each year when there is fish about and you have a good chance. I bet if you had a fish on that rod then your beer and whisky that night would taste mighty sweet and bring a tear to your eye.. No point selling as the offers will be low. I would love to be able to take out all the fishing gear left to me by my late grandfather but i would be arrested within minutes of opening the box as it was all ripping gear and large trebles he left me :)
A line for it?!!! I’ve got a bag of his Shakespeare Beaulite reels and spare spools all with lines. All must go, I’m literally running out of room for his old stuff plus all of mine! I know none of it will ever see the light of day again if I keep it.

Elibank

Reaction score
I have two 15’ Walkers, 100% Carbon, #10/12, and I still use them on our Tweed week with a DT11 - I suffer from cramping in my hands and a DT is more comfortable than a head and thin running line. Funnily enough, they have 24” long handles, but when I decided to buy a 14’ version, the handle measured 28”......Used it twice in 1996, it hasn’t seen the light of day since.

70 this year, so I can’t see much changing with regard to my favourite rods, even though our guests take the p1ss about my terrible chuck and duck casting, but if you can hit the far bank, why buy a £700 Rod? Mine were both bought second hand for £120 and £140.

Reaction score
Got the very same hanging up in the garage.A very powerful rod but unfortunately of little value nowadays.Still liked using it and if we get any back end fishing this year may well dig it out!Richard.

gaula

Reaction score
I bought the same rod from John Norris about 35 years ago, it was a great rod, very powerfull, in those days, everybody was using
d/t wetcell 2s etc. after a few years I bought a Hardy Gem 15', followed by more Hardy's, then, about 4 years ago, I had a hankering
for another Bruce & Walker , I went and bought a (Walker) 15'6''. well,nothing has changed, what a great rod it is, ideal for the big
rivers. I use a Mackenzie multi tip 10/12 line on it. I also have a Hardy Zephrus 14'6'',which I like, but the Walker is my favorite, the
trick is, don't rush the rod, just slow your casting down a little, and the line flies out. I am 77 this year,and still love using it.

p.s. as said in earlier post, I would keep the rod, and have the occasional cast with it. you won't regret it.

Richardgw

Reaction score
Seeing this thread made me dig out my old 15ft B&W Walker to see how it compared to my modern rods. When last used it was with a DT11 but it couldn’t reach the sort of distances my modern 13ft’ shooting head outfit can.

Problem was what line as my DT11s have long gone. Having moved over to shooting heads I tried the following:

Rio Scandi 9 Intermediate body (29 grams) + 18ft/12gram sink tip. Excellent giving easy casting to 35 yards including with a 2 inch copper tube.

Rio Scandi 10 Floating body (32 grams) + 18ft/12gram sink tip. Not quite as good as the intermediate but it still worked very well.

Compared to modern rods the Walker has a slow action with a slow recovery and is noticeably tip heavy. This made me slow my casting stroke to allow the rod to work and this approach seemed less stressful on my shoulders than my lighter and much faster actioned Guideline AWM 14ft 9 inch. What I particularly like about the Walker is the ease that its powerful tip lifts a deeply sunk head to the surface ready for the next cast; doing so far easier than the Guideline.

All in all I will be using the Walker again particularly in heavy water when using full sinking heads and heavy tubes.

Richardgw

Reaction score
Well I’ve been out with this rod again and started with the same Rio 9 Intermediate set up I tried last year. Although this cast well there was no feedback telling me the rod wanted a heavier head so I tried the following and really enjoyed myself.

Rio 9 Intermediate body (23ft/29grams) + 18ft/12gram S3/4 tip + 15ft/10gram tip – total head 56ft/51grams

Rio 9 Intermediate body (23ft/29grams) + 10ft/11grams S3/4 tip + 15ft/10grams S6 tip - total head 48ft/ 50grams.

These brought the rod to life particularly the second set up which I found easier from the bank - river too high for wading. Using a single spey cast the line flew off the tip shooting yards of running line and turning over a weighted 2 inch tube as if it wasn’t there. Rolling the long heavy 3D sinking head to the surface at the end of the swing was so ooo easy and the slow though action gave me so much time to set the D loop it is almost impossible to mess up a cast unless the line caught in bankside brush.

I also tried a Rage 600 with a 15ft/10gram tip and whilst it went out and turned over it didn’t have the feel of the other two set ups. I think a 660 Rage with tip would be better.

Whilst the rod is about double the weight of a modern Far East 15ft ‘er and noticeably tip heavy, it doesn’t feel heavy when casting. As for fishing the fly around, holding the rod slightly higher up the blank (per Falkus) largely alleviates that tip heavy feel. I used it for about 3 hours and enjoyed the experience. What is more I felt no more tired than had I used another more modern rod.

I bought this rod new in 1990 and had originally pensioned it off around 2010. It was DT11s in those days. Although my spey casting has improved since I think it is modern line design that is the key reason for the performance I am now getting. I’ve another line to test next time out but I can see me acquiring a couple of long heavy 11/12 heads specifically for this rod. All I need now is a fish or two.

bassfly

Reaction score
Must get my 15ft Expert out again now I have a better understanding of casting. This was my first salmon rod bought second hand for £80 together with a Wetcel 2 and at the time a brute to cast. My mate has a Hardy ? 18ft and after a lesson about 5 years ago with a 70 ft Spey line I can now cast his beast as well and with a 90 ft head.
A nice change now and again.
Now where did I put that wetcel 2, it on a 200 D somewhere.

ACW

Reaction score
Must get my 15ft Expert out again now I have a better understanding of casting. This was my first salmon rod bought second hand for £80 together with a Wetcel 2 and at the time a brute to cast. My mate has a Hardy ? 18ft and after a lesson about 5 years ago with a 70 ft Spey line I can now cast his beast as well and with a 90 ft head.
A nice change now and again.
Now where did I put that wetcel 2, it on a 200 D somewhere.
if you cant find it you could have mine ,too unfit to use a big rod these days !

Isisalar

Reaction score
It's very strange that B&W rods are so revered on here but don't command much value in the marketplace.
However, their coarse fishing hexograph range seem very rare, as are the salmon rods but when they come up for sale the command prices up a thousand pounds.
I did spot 1 hexograph salmon rod but it was still well under £500.
Very odd.

Rennie

Reaction score
I’m a Bruce n Walker fan, having owned several and still do.
However by n large the Hexograph range left quite a bit to be desired as fishing rods, drawing far too much from the days of Split Cane.
Sadly they’re 10 a p these days, even ones in top nick!.
Why on earth the Coarse models command high prices is beyond me, again I think it’s a glance back to Split cane rods and the Hamps. Avon and Mr. Crabtree. Modern kit is far superior!.
Having said all that, if they have the actions and performance you seek, then why not. Each to their own.
Pedro.

Salmo9

Reaction score
Was watching an old skool Derek Brown Spey casting video last night and was impressed how well he threw a cast using a double taper line. Looking at the reel seat I think his rod might have been an early Daiwa. You could see the wrist snaps and abrupt stops he applied on his forward stroke and the line sailed out and unfolded above the water.. pure class.