Buying an Oracle Switch rod

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm pretty much a newbie to double handed rods, but have a week of fishing coming up on the A'an, and on a beat of the upper Dee.

I've been advised that a switch rod is the tool for the job and see a lot of recommendations for the 11ft Oracle switch. To be honest I'm not surprised that it's a very good rod because I fish with a Shakey 9ft trout rod and can't fault it.

With regard to the switch could someone recommend a 7/8 over a 8/9 or vice versa, and offer advice on line and line weight ( I hear good things about Barrios) and anything else with regards to poly leaders etc, leader length etc.

I hope to order Monday or Tuesday at the latest so any advice before then is much appreciated

Many thanks

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm pretty much a newbie to double handed rods, but have a week of fishing coming up on the A'an, and on a beat of the upper Dee.

I've been advised that a switch rod is the tool for the job and see a lot of recommendations for the 11ft Oracle switch. To be honest I'm not surprised that it's a very good rod because I fish with a Shakey 9ft trout rod and can't fault it.

With regard to the switch could someone recommend a 7/8 over a 8/9 or vice versa, and offer advice on line and line weight ( I hear good things about Barrios) and anything else with regards to poly leaders etc, leader length etc.

I hope to order Monday or Tuesday at the latest so any advice before then is much appreciated

Many thanks

I use the 7/8 shaky 6piece and fish it with a 360gr Airflo Rage head and Airflo 10ft salmon polyleaders( all densities) great set up if your close to ayr and want to try my setup give me a pm and we can arrange a meet

Last edited:

kingfisher

Well known member
Reaction score
I have the Oracle 7-8 and last week on the Spey at Grantown, covered all the water I needed too.
Very good light rod that didn’t stress over the duration of its use and would highly recommend this rod.

I used a 7 weight SSVT on it and it flew out with ease.
Just a pity the fish didn’t play ball!!

kf

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for your advice. Much appreciated! So I ordered a 7\8 from JN and ended up phoning Mike Barrio and he suggested a 6/7 switch line is ideal for it.

Once/ If I get into this double handed casting routine I'll probably look more into shooting heads, scandi, and skagits, all of which are a bit over my head at the minute.

I'll let you know how it goes, and thanks again for your advice.

Prefab Trout

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for your advice. Much appreciated! So I ordered a 7\8 from JN and ended up phoning Mike Barrio and he suggested a 6/7 switch line is ideal for it.

Once/ If I get into this double handed casting routine I'll probably look more into shooting heads, scandi, and skagits, all of which are a bit over my head at the minute.

I'll let you know how it goes, and thanks again for your advice.
Great rod and a solid grounding for moving into bigger rods which can be a bit less forgiving through frustrating experience.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SP8

Reaction score
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I got the 7/8 last backend and tried a couple of lines I had briefly which seemed ok. I got the Shakey 7/9 switch line off a member on here and tried it last week. I thought it was a bit heavy for the rod. Definitely if overhead and also when spey casting I felt the rod could manage a lighter line with ease. Anybody else feel the same? I originally tried it last year on a very windy day on Tweed with a Norris 7/8 integrated head and a 410gr skagit switch both of which flew out

SP8

transporti686

Reaction score
What do you mean about shakey oracle switch 11ft 6/7, please? I want to buy switch for double handed overhead casting. Is it really 6/7 aftma? Many thanks.

Last edited:

Kelt

Reaction score
Hi I have the 7/8 six piece shakey switch rod and I use the Barrio 7/8 switch line . Casts all double hand casts no bother. If I overhead cast I just use both handles just seems natural. With a 5 foot poly leader and a length of tippet it’s a pleasure to use. I find it a perfect combination for summer and low water. Hope this helps.

NEbody

Reaction score
What do you mean about shakey oracle switch 11ft 6/7, please? I want to buy switch for double handed overhead casting. Is it really 6/7 aftma? Many thanks.

If you’re only going to be overhead casting with a relatively light outfit, why do you want a double-hander? I think a 10’ #7 or #8 single-hander would do that job at least as well.

transporti686

Reaction score
I need long casts on Danube river. Not for salmon. I want to use Barrio switch line or outbound short line I think, that I will be able to cast longer with 11ft switch. Am I right or not? For spey casting I have Shakespeare Oracle Spey 12ft 7/8.

Last edited: