Burl wood single hander

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
This is the first rod I've built with a bought handle.
I really liked the burl wood handle and matching reel seat. Its hard to see in the pics but its sort of translucent green and gold wood. It has a see through sort of 3d finish to it.
The rod is a wee 9ft 7 weight tip action and I usually just highlight the stripper guides with a band of colour but decided to highlight all the guides with a gold band.
This is for me to use. I chose a 7 weight so all my lines match it and fancy trying to land a grilse on it in the summer. I will have my 10ft set up with my usual wee tubes and think I will set this up with a hitch fly and take both to the river.
20210207_130454.jpg
20210207_130440.jpg
20210207_130412.jpg
20210207_130249.jpg
20210207_130202.jpg
20210207_130155.jpg

westie4566

Reaction score
Another stunning piece of work Gordon, (y)

I've seen these grips before and loved the look of them but did wonder how good they'd be wet? Would they start sliding about in your hand?

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Another stunning piece of work Gordon, (y)

I've seen these grips before and loved the look of them but did wonder how good they'd be wet? Would they start sliding about in your hand?
Thanks Andy,
I don't think it will get slippy when wet mate. But with our weather I'm sure i will find out soon enough.
Have you been back out yet you lucky git?
Although with this weather I'm not too fussed i can't get out at the moment haha.

westie4566

Reaction score
Thanks Andy,
I don't think it will get slippy when wet mate. But with our weather I'm sure i will find out soon enough.
Have you been back out yet you lucky git?
Although with this weather I'm not too fussed i can't get out at the moment haha.
Was supposed to be out yesterday, wasn't feeling great so gave it a miss. Out this coming Friday though.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Was supposed to be out yesterday, wasn't feeling great so gave it a miss. Out this coming Friday though.
Fingers crossed for you mate.
I'm not going to get out until second week in March at the earliest. I'm self isolating for 2 weeks on Friday before the op on my knee on the 26th then I will need at least a week to heal.
Good chance I will need an op on my shoulder now too. Its a mess. The tendon I've ripped in it has caused the bursa sack under collar bone to swell up. I've got a big lump on it. I really hope it doesn't stop play this season.

westie4566

Reaction score
Fingers crossed for you mate.
I'm not going to get out until second week in March at the earliest. I'm self isolating for 2 weeks on Friday before the op on my knee on the 26th then I will need at least a week to heal.
Good chance I will need an op on my shoulder now too. Its a mess. The tendon I've ripped in it has caused the bursa sack under collar bone to swell up. I've got a big lump on it. I really hope it doesn't stop play this season.
Best of luck wi the op Gordon, I doubt you'll be missing very much. With a bit of luck you'll be raring to go when the weather improves.

If ye cannae fish this season, I'll just have to borrow your rods :p :p

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Thank Andy,
I've already started handing them out to people that can actually use them the now.
Chris connelly is off with the 12'9 to try

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Wouldn't mind a go Gordon! (y) What line rating is it again?
9/10 I had a 600 rage on it and it worked really well. I'd say it had a near 3/4 action to it. It flexes past the middle and returns quick. I found it nice to use as you can feel it loading easily.

Hoolet

Reaction score
That’s a beautiful looking rod, all the builds you’ve shown have been very impressive.
Are you taking commissions?

Hoolet