"Bubble float" fishing....

MikeCC

Reaction score
....or fishing the bung..whatever you like to call it.

Was at my local fishery today, reckon there were probably about 15 or so guys there, looked like 3/4 of them were all fishing a bung. Is the art of 'fly fishing' per se really not that fashionable any more? Im not saying its right or wrong, just that more traditional tactics of fly fishing for trout seem to be a thing of the past. I personally prefer to work a fly and work my way round the fishery. I'd rather have 2 or 3 fish that i've worked for than sit in the same spot on my tackle box watching a float. Im sure for these guys its all about hauling out 20 fish per session but I cant see where the satisfaction comes from.

skyhook

Reaction score

Was at my local fishery today, reckon there were probably about 15 or so guys there, looked like 3/4 of them were all fishing a bung. Is the art of 'fly fishing' per se really not that fashionable any more? Im not saying its right or wrong, just that more traditional tactics of fly fishing for trout seem to be a thing of the past. I personally prefer to work a fly and work my way round the fishery. I'd rather have 2 or 3 fish that i've worked for than sit in the same spot on my tackle box watching a float. Im sure for these guys its all about hauling out 20 fish per session but I cant see where the satisfaction comes from.
It's used in Ireland for Salmon by some anglers where it allowed, usually big slow stretches. Each to their own it's maybe a stepping stone for some before they migrate to fly fishing.

barbonboy

Reaction score
The bubble, and fly, is deadly in the right conditions. Still used a lot in Ireland, especially on parts of the Moy.

Loxie

Reaction score
The world of Stillwater trout angling has changed beyond all recognition in the last 20 years. The idea of a season has been turned on its head; fisheries open in the winter and close in the summer. The quality and size of fish, the relative cost, catch and release and flies and tactics are all unrecognisable to the trout fisher of half a generation ago. Blobs, bungs, snakes and spinning on large reservoirs are not for everyone. There is a slow homogenisation of all angling and a seperation from fishing. It is inexorable and I guess you either embrace it or not.

andy345

Reaction score
The world of Stillwater trout angling has changed beyond all recognition in the last 20 years. The idea of a season has been turned on its head; fisheries open in the winter and close in the summer. The quality and size of fish, the relative cost, catch and release and flies and tactics are all unrecognisable to the trout fisher of half a generation ago. Blobs, bungs, snakes and spinning on large reservoirs are not for everyone. There is a slow homogenisation of all angling and a seperation from fishing. It is inexorable and I guess you either embrace it or not.
Agree with you there, but just to add today fashionable flies are made with products for either cleaning the car or the kitchen floor.......

simonjh98

Reaction score
Bubble and fly can do things a fly rod cannot in some stretches. Fishing the massive tidal stretches of the foyle which are canal like with massive banks is a good example. In the spring of 2018 I had 14 fish landed from the Finn before May 10th, 12 fell to the bubble and fly.

When the majority of anglers refuse to leave their homes because the water is 'too low' , it is prime bubble and fly conditions. This is when the method really comes out to play and it is surprisingly easy to pick up fish in the low water when they are backing up

noeyedeer

Reaction score

Can you clarify if you mean:

- Bubble and fly on a river (actually banned AFAIK on many UK waters)
or
- Trout fly fishing a stillwater using a buoyant device above the flies
or
Both?

For anglers thoughts on the 2nd option, better to visit the sister forum FFF, where it has been debated to death many times! 😀