Bruce and walker switch rod

MikeRol

Reaction score
B&W - Switch.

Hello there (and my first post!!)

I have this rod.

I use it to fish on the river Wear for sea trout and a bit of summer salmon fishing after work, while I'm waiting for the sun to set and the sea trout fishing to start. It's an excellent rod, as you'd expect from B&W, and loads well with an OPST skagit @ 375 grains with an appropriate head or a scandi line - I use the rio short scandi on it. For sea trout I use the Guideline Bullet line #8 as single handed. Only thing on the single handed I have noticed is that it is a deeper loading rod than what I was using previously so I had to slow my casting down a touch to get it to perform. I haven't come to a place that I can't cover on the Wear with it as yet.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Paul White

Reaction score
What I don't understand about Bruce and Walker is that they only supply rods with a cloth bag, no tube. Why is that?

Also this switch rod is 3 piece, why not 4?

For the price they are charging, I would expect a rod tube at least!

I bought one of their Salmon and Seatrout 10' #7-9 rods in 1991 and converted to a switch by B&W, it is amazing with a Rio SSVT #5:D

Paul

Guest002

Reaction score
i have a couple of switch rods....

one an 11ft6 #8/9wt - but I would say anything over 10ft is really a small double hander as unless you are built like a tank you are unlikely to want to single hand cast it ! Or maybe others on this forum have stronger right wrists than me :p

my other is a 9ft #6 switch. This IS as switch rod as you can remove the ( bendy !!!!) handle and can single hand cast all day or double hand cast

just my thoughts :D

lefthandup

Reaction score
What I don't understand about Bruce and Walker is that they only supply rods with a cloth bag, no tube. Why is that?

Also this switch rod is 3 piece, why not 4?

For the price they are charging, I would expect a rod tube at least!

I bought one of their Salmon and Seatrout 10' #7-9 rods in 1991 and converted to a switch by B&W, it is amazing with a Rio SSVT #5:D

Paul
I may try and get a hold of one of these lines Paul.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Does anyone think there will be much difference between this rod and their 11'3...apart from maybe a shorter bottom handle ?

Reaction score
Hi I have the switch rod which is superb but more a short double hander I'm using a barrio 8/9 switch line which goes great but I wouldn't cast it single handed for long , lots of power it takes the rio ssvt 8# as well .

I had the b&w seatrout rod different rod altogether I used a 7# double taper if memory serves me no problem to overhead
Cheers Patrick

WEB83

Reaction score
B&W - Switch.

Hello there (and my first post!!)

I have this rod.

I use it to fish on the river Wear for sea trout and a bit of summer salmon fishing after work, while I'm waiting for the sun to set and the sea trout fishing to start. It's an excellent rod, as you'd expect from B&W, and loads well with an OPST skagit @ 375 grains with an appropriate head or a scandi line - I use the rio short scandi on it. For sea trout I use the Guideline Bullet line #8 as single handed. Only thing on the single handed I have noticed is that it is a deeper loading rod than what I was using previously so I had to slow my casting down a touch to get it to perform. I haven't come to a place that I can't cover on the Wear with it as yet.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Hello, I’ve just bought this rod too. Which weight Rio SSVT do you use?