Bruce and walker powerlite

Stevieob76

Reaction score
I have just bought a powerlite 12ft 4 8/9.Was wondering if anyone else has this rod and what line works well on it. Was thinking a rio scandi outbound(think it's the integrated short head line) any knowledge would be appreciated

grayghost

Reaction score
I have that rod but have not used any scandis on it, just skagits. It is a pretty powerful rod with a strong tip, so takes a pretty heavy line. I've use skagit lines from 570 grains up to 625 grain and I perfer the later. I know this doesn't answer your question but may give some insight into your search. Good luck!

thestump

Reaction score
i have this rod and struggled to find a line that suited,i then went on to troutcatchers.co.uk and ordered a #9 cortland short belly spey line ,search over a perfect match and spey casts and overhead casts like a dream, all for the princeley sum of £62-97

Stevieob76

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I seem to have bought a rod that might be a bit more than I had bargained for. Will look into that cortland option.

Rockpool

Reaction score
Rio's current Line Recommendations for this rod are 460 to 520 grains for Scandi and 525 to 575 for Skagit.
Although I've never found these Rio recommendations to be very reliable I've found them to be ok for the B&W I've had in the past.

The Cortland #9 line recommended above is 550 grains for a 46' line so the upper end of the Rio Scandi recommendation at 520 grains, which would be the #8/9 Scandi Outbound at 38', may be ok.

But you won't know for sure until that first cast !

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I have just bought a powerlite 12ft 4 8/9.Was wondering if anyone else has this rod and what line works well on it. Was thinking a rio scandi outbound(think it's the integrated short head line) any knowledge would be appreciated

I don’t have that rod, but do have the Powerlite 13ft’ 8-10, the 15ft #10 in 3 and ‘delux’ 4 piece, the 11’3” 7-9, the Walker 13’6” #8, and the 12’4” 30gramShooting Head rod.

Everyone’s casting style is different and each rod has a wide grain window, but in general I fish at least a size up.

For example, I was enlightened this year to what my Walker would handle. I use the 34g Gaelforce Integrated, or a 540g Rage, or Guideline 37g multi tip. At the suggestion of a very capable instructor, I tried a 10/11 AFS and was amazed at how well it went. I have since been fishing 9/10 lines off it anf will try a 10/11 AFS next season.

I think the Rio recommendations are mostly based on the stated rating, rather than any particular experience with the rods.

For your rod Personally I would look at lines from 580-640 grains and a 2nd hand Rage to asses what weights you like, but that’s only my opinion and I’m no casting guru.

If you don’t want to do some experimentation yourself, I would email James Chalmers and ask for his Gaelforce recommendation and / or check out B&W North America, or Speypages:

https://www.speypages.com/threads/bruce-and-walker-124-powerlite.145402/

The above thread and others on Speypages mention the Nextcast Winter Authority or FF 8/9 - the 45ft WA 8/9 weighs in at 630 grains…..

Enjoy

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
Absolute gentleman no bullshit and honest opinion.
I have met James numerous times and tried lines with him until the right one matched the rod.
If your in Scotland go and see him at the quarry in Kilsyth.

Stevieob76

Reaction score
Really. Am just around corner from there.He must have known old Peter. Definitely give him a shout.

luney

Reaction score
I don’t have that rod, but do have the Powerlite 13ft’ 8-10, the 15ft #10 in 3 and ‘delux’ 4 piece, the 11’3” 7-9, the Walker 13’6” #8, and the 12’4” 30gramShooting Head rod.

Everyone’s casting style is different and each rod has a wide grain window, but in general I fish at least a size up.

For example, I was enlightened this year to what my Walker would handle. I use the 34g Gaelforce Integrated, or a 540g Rage, or Guideline 37g multi tip. At the suggestion of a very capable instructor, I tried a 10/11 AFS and was amazed at how well it went. I have since been fishing 9/10 lines off it anf will try a 10/11 AFS next season.

I think the Rio recommendations are mostly based on the stated rating, rather than any particular experience with the rods.

For your rod Personally I would look at lines from 580-640 grains and a 2nd hand Rage to asses what weights you like, but that’s only my opinion and I’m no casting guru.

If you don’t want to do some experimentation yourself, I would email James Chalmers and ask for his Gaelforce recommendation and / or check out B&W North America, or Speypages:

The above thread and others on Speypages mention the Nextcast Winter Authority or FF 8/9 - the 45ft WA 8/9 weighs in at 630 grains…..

Enjoy
Tried the wee shooting head rod at a demo day on the Lune quite a few years ago, didnt want to put it down a joy to cast👍

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Tried the wee shooting head rod at a demo day on the Lune quite a few years ago, didnt want to put it down a joy to cast👍

I love it, was that at the Fawcett’s day? I hope they do one in 2022. I fancy a 4 piece Walker or ‘Summer Run’, and it’s hard to try them out beforehand.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I quite fancy one of the trout speycasters , but note that they’re rated for ‘ salmon ‘ lines.

I think that B&W’s recommended grain weights for those rods are on the heavy side, but still pretty close to what we could expect from the matching single handed lines; i.e. 3 line weights up from the DH rating.

For example, the 3 wt Trout Spey recommends lines from 225-280 grains. The 6 weight single handed rating Barrio SLX comes in at 210 grains.

My 11’2” #3 Meiser Highlander S ‘switch’ has tighter recommendations of 250-275 for Scandi lines i.e. Touch & Go speycasting. The Skagit recommendation is from 250-400grains!

FWIW; on that Meiser, while both lines work ok; I find the Barrio SLX #8 at 270 is a bit too heavy and the #7 SLX at 230 is too light. An Airflo Switch Streamer is way too heavy IMHO at 300 grains.

FYI, Meiser do Trout Spey / Switch blanks down to DH #2

ibm59

Reaction score
I think that B&W’s recommended grain weights for those rods are on the heavy side, but still pretty close to what we could expect from the matching single handed lines; i.e. 3 line weights up from the DH rating.

For example, the 3 wt Trout Spey recommends lines from 225-280 grains. The 6 weight single handed rating Barrio SLX comes in at 210 grains.

My 11’2” #3 Meiser Highlander S ‘switch’ has tighter recommendations of 250-275 for Scandi lines i.e. Touch & Go speycasting. The Skagit recommendation is from 250-400grains!

FWIW; on that Meiser, while both lines work ok; I find the Barrio SLX #8 at 270 is a bit too heavy and the #7 SLX at 230 is too light. An Airflo Switch Streamer is way too heavy IMHO at 300 grains.

FYI, Meiser do Trout Spey / Switch blanks down to DH #2
I understand that , but why cloud the issue ?
Named ‘ trout spey ‘ rods , then rate them with trout weighted lines.
They’re not the only guilty party in that respect though.

luney

Reaction score
I love it, was that at the Fawcett’s day? I hope they do one in 2022. I fancy a 4 piece Walker or ‘Summer Run’, and it’s hard to try them out beforehand.
Your right it was, good turnout by the manufacturers and retailers. Buffet wasn't bad either 😂😉

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I understand that , but why cloud the issue ?
Named ‘ trout spey ‘ rods , then rate them with trout weighted lines.
They’re not the only guilty party in that respect though.

I don’t think they are clouding the issue, DH rod, DH line rating. 😉

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Even with " trout " in the job description ?

I‘m long enough in the tooth to look , and see the difference.
Others aren’t.

That’s a fair point, but they are trout rods and they do have the grain weight for confirmation as does Meiser. I doubt there will be many folk getting their custom-built rod home and spooling up with a Rio Gold #3.

But if there is, I’ll gladly make them an offer for their used rod 😄.

keirstream

Reaction score
Really. Am just around corner from there.He must have known old Peter. Definitely give him a shout.
Yes, he knew Big Peter well.
B & W rods definitely benefit from at least one line up from the stated rating.
When the Powerlite range came out I got a 15ft 10wt version and it was a beast of a tool.
Coupled up with an 11/12 Rio Accelerator or a Wet Cell 11, it was the 1st of the "modern" tippy
fast actioned type of D.H. rod I.M.O. and it got big licks on the Tummel at the time when spring fish averaged mid to upper teens and 30s were not
uncommon. Ask Jimthefish, he caught most of them.:D:D
However, like most B & Ws, it was quite a heavy rod and when the super light (by comparison) LPXes and Le Cies appeared on the market the Powerlite got dumped.(y)
Biggest difference was that B & Ws did not have a propensity to break as soon as you put a line through them.:ROFLMAO:

Richardgw

Reaction score
However, like most B & Ws, it was quite a heavy rod and when the super light (by comparison) LPXes and Le Cies appeared on the market the Powerlite got dumped.(y)
Biggest difference was that B & Ws did not have a propensity to break as soon as you put a line through them.:ROFLMAO:
Is it weight or lack of balance due to B&Ws powerful heavy tip sections that make them feel (tip) heavy. My Guideline 15ft AWM is a little lighter than my early 90s 15ft Walker, but not by much – 2 or 3 ounces. However because of a very light tip section the Guideline feels much lighter in hand as a modern 10/11 reel brings the balance point to the top hand. Not so with the 15ft B&W where with such a reel the balance point is up towards the butt ring.

I have and use a 9.5ft Hardy Fibalite spinning rod bought in 1975. I used to find it tip heavy and it would make my forearm ache particularly when using a fixed spool reel. Five ounces of lead inside the butt cured this bringing the balance point back to my top hand. As a result the rod feels lighter in use than it did prior to the addition of the lead.