Bruce and walker merlin

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
Anyone got one of the above rods in the 11'6". 5/7 weight. Just managed to acquire a very good example of it.
I'm hoping to use it for seatrout fishing and if anyone can point me to a preferred line that would be great.
I'm sure in past experience Bruce and walker usually benefit from overlining but hopefully someone on the forum has one and can help.

Rennie

Reaction score
Just the "Merlin".
The Merlin range of rods were to address the disappointment of the Hexographs for B+W.They were a thicker walled blank with a much smaller central space giving an over all thinner blank altogether.
I had the 16ft 6/9 rod which I was a great fan of.More a traditional actioned ranged of rods in the true B+W way of doing things, quite meaty lower down the blanks.Agree with looking to the upper end of any rods line rating for best results as far as B+W are concerned.
Pedro.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I’ve got the 10,6” #7-8 ‘Merlin Featherlite’ . Goes great guns with a Barrio SLX #7 overhead casting. The SLX #8 works well overhead with the 11’3” Salmon / Sea Trout #7-9 - an altogether beefier tool than your 5-7.

The Barrios are heavy for their stated AFTM weight and we all cast differently, but you may find that info of some use.