Bruce and Walker 14ft Shooting Head Rod.

Andy R

Reaction score
mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border
Having used it for a week, I suspect you may be right, I was using guideline RTG distance cut heads, and the new triple density scandi heads 38 gram I think they are....whilst I was getting a great cast, with good distance I had to concentrate to ensure enough tension was being put into the cast to bring the rod to life. I had some 42g short cut RTGs but didn't get chance to use them, but I'll test them out later in the summer if we get some water on the Welsh Dee.

I think a little more weight will make the rod more user friendly, not that its not user friendly...its certainly not as stiff as some rods I have ( stand up loop opti power spey) a bit more weight will make it easier to use and quicker to load.

Last edited:

gpac

Banned
Reaction score
i got one as a gift but have not tried it yet ,anyone know what line would be a good match ?

Chicharito

Reaction score
Finally picked up my Bruce and Walker Shooting head a couple of weeks ago from the factory. Going to give it a go this week with a Rio AFS Outbound integrated shooting head #10-11. I am assured by Brian Potter at Bruce and Walker that it will handle this line
OK.

Attachments

• Paul Edwards 003 (Medium).jpg
    Paul Edwards 003 (Medium).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 699
  • Paul Edwards 005 (Medium).jpg
    Paul Edwards 005 (Medium).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 628
  • DSCN0597-1.jpg
    DSCN0597-1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 645

Reeboker

Reaction score
Thanks, i will get one an try it out .what weight are they .i tried a guideline but it se3med to light , i had to put to much effort in .lovely rods

Chicharito

Reaction score
Thanks, i will get one an try it out .what weight are they .i tried a guideline but it se3med to light , i had to put to much effort in .lovely rods

Not sure really cos I haven't tried a guideline. I would think it's a more substantial rod altogether. Not heavy but certainly not what you would call light.

Reeboker

Reaction score
I meant the weight of the rio line as i think they have been discontiued .the guideline line was to light for th3 rod i thought , i seemed to be putting in to much effort to get the line out . Got mine bought for my birthday lovely finish , just want to match it with right line. Thanks for you3 help it will save me buying lines not suited

Chicharito

Reaction score
I meant the weight of the rio line as i think they have been discontiued .the guideline line was to light for th3 rod i thought , i seemed to be putting in to much effort to get the line out . Got mine bought for my birthday lovely finish , just want to match it with right line. Thanks for you3 help it will save me buying lines not suited

Sorry ! Ithink the new rio lines are pretty nuch the same as the ones they replaced. Also the Gaelforce lines might be worth a look at .
I prefer a heavy line so 41-42 gramme is about right for me.

Reeboker

Reaction score
Thank you i will take your advice and hope it was the line and not me that was at fault.
Tight lines

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Trawling up an old thread, ... but not found much info lately on how the 14' shooting head rod has been recieved now they've been out for a while.

Any owners care to share their thoughts?

simoncassidy

Reaction score
I just bought a new 14ft from Mortimers,a beautifully finished rod but was disappointed that it didnt come with a tube for a £600 plus rod I feel this is very tight fisted of B&W. £200 plus on the B&W website to purchase a tube.Have a leather buckskin one being made for £150 the rod deserves it.Had it out friday evening for a quick throw,B&W recommend 37gr lines I used a 600gr Airflo rage and 10ft polyleader which is 38.8 grams .It threw it but my first feeling was I was blowing the anchor with the polyleader.I slowed everything down and it threw it but I feel it is too light to load the rod. Saturday I got out again this time I used a 660gr Airflo rage and 15ft intermediate polyleader this started to wake it up.I was throwing 100ft plus into the wind with it no problem, The rod never felt tested with this weight line. I am sure this rod will excel with Guideline 4Ds 42gr heads and 18ft tips, I just need water to test the heavy stuff. Anyone one else using this rod and what lines did you find work on it.