Bruce and Walker 14ft Shooting Head Rod.

Storkus

Reaction score
Received delivery of new B&W Shootinghead rod yesterday, fished this morning and boy o boy what a great piece of kit, I had on a Rio 9/10 38 gm outbound shooting head on, it was a dream, ease of distance with a very tight loop, OK is a little heavier than some but the action and performance made up for it,
I have been a Loomis fan for many years but thanks to B&W this is the best I have ever used, As I was in the market for a 14fter I tried them all at Fawcetts casting day but went back to the B&W. (Brilliant)

Sounds good indeed.
I used to have a B&W Powerlite Speycaster 14' 9/10 and regret selling it. I thought it was too heavy and not helping the bad back senario. However I now know that it was just a case of balance, or lack of it.
I would be very interested in one of these SH rods, can you tell me what reel weight balances it out?

Thanks
Chris

onelastcast

Reaction score
14ft shooting head rod

Have to agree with silverleapers a superb rod if i was looking for a 14footer that would be the one ,it really is great from a customers point of view when a shop like fawcetss arrange a day on the river and are supported by the manufacturers they stock.Icant think of anywhere else where for example in this case a14ft rod you can try rods by Bruce and walker ,sharpes,Hardy, Loomis, vision, Loop,greys with no hard sell it really is worthwhile to test them back to back on the river.Like I say the bruce and walker was no1 for me with the Loop cross s1 also a nice rod onelastcast

silverleaper

Reaction score
Sounds good indeed.
I used to have a B&W Powerlite Speycaster 14' 9/10 and regret selling it. I thought it was too heavy and not helping the bad back senario. However I now know that it was just a case of balance, or lack of it.
I would be very interested in one of these SH rods, can you tell me what reel weight balances it out?

Thanks
Chris

I tried 2 reels and the best balance was a Hardy Cascapedia,this is quite a heavy reel, I feel this is what you need but when balanced the outfit is brilliant and feels no heavier than any other rod and the performance makes up for it, yes I also suffer from a bad back but fished all day and had no problems (apart from no fish) this is normal
Well done B & W

Storkus

Reaction score
I tried 2 reels and the best balance was a Hardy Cascapedia,this is quite a heavy reel, I feel this is what you need but when balanced the outfit is brilliant and feels no heavier than any other rod and the performance makes up for it, yes I also suffer from a bad back but fished all day and had no problems (apart from no fish) this is normal
Well done B & W

Thanks for the feedback Silverleaper.

Tony Parker

Reaction score
ye i agree with everyone who has one lovely rod well built casts great when i ordered mine i asked them to make mine with a shorter handle and conventional scroll which i prefer this is the rod you would use in norway or russia

silverleaper

Reaction score
I,m sure you will enjoy the rod let us know how you get on, lost a good fish on mine last week but it handled it brilliant till it came off at the net (just my luck)
:mad:

Flyholme

Reaction score
Bruce & Walker Shooting Head Rod

How are you guys getting on with the B&W shooting head rod...:) I am in the market for a 14' rod, mainly for shooting heads and occasional Spey. I have a Guideline LPXe 13' which I find lacks feel and a bit short for bigger rivers. I've looked at all the usual suspects and this B&W stands out as something a bit different and potentially great, so interested in feedback.

Last edited:

duff angler

Reaction score
Duff ANGLER

I HAVE ONE USE WITH THE RIO 38G S/h fantastic. Dose not like 650gr skagit. It loves the s/h.

bäschwatz

Reaction score
SH rods

Hi
I'm not experienced , so i tryed used B&W rods at first.
I don't know something about the SH series, but i have one 14 Norway, build with parts of different rating.
7-9 the tip, 9-10 the middle section and 11 the end section. Great rod for 50 gramm skagit lines. Because of the amount of needet running line, i'm using a big spinning reel for stormy days.
Cheers Thilo

bankwheel

Reaction score
Looked at one of these in Mortimers today, it is one of the nicest rods I have ever seen, the finish is superb and at a great price at the moment.
Any more users of this rod willing to share their experiences?

cake

Reaction score
Anymore user reviews/opinions on this rod? Can it handle Skagit lines?

bankwheel

Reaction score
There must be something very secretive about this rod:confused:

No one wants to give any info on them

silverleaper

Reaction score
Look back in the thread and a few have used a skagit, I aint and at moment don't have need , just tried 42gm Guideline scandi goes great

luney

Reaction score
Fawcetts casting day

I managed to get my hands on this rod on Sunday and to be honest I was a bit disappointed. It felt heavy and a bit of a poker. I spoke to Brian i believe and we had a chat about the rod. He informed me that it was a middle to tip rod leaning more to tip, I would not disagree with that. Better casters than me may totally disagree with what I have said. I can only comment on how it felt to me.
HOWEVER
I later found out they had a 12 foot 4 inch shooting head rod for a 31g line this rod was for me the best rod I cast that day. Casting and shooting line was effortless it really made me smile, a completely different animal than it's big brother. That day I had cast rods from hardys , vision, zpey and loomis. At I think £630 sheets it is not cheap but neither are the sintrix and the loomis rods of this world, and I much prefered it.

Regards Luney

PS thanks to Fawcetts for the hospitality the food and tea and coffee was very welcome, especially the cakes:eek::eek:

silverleaper

Reaction score
Gave the 12 a go and yes if you need a small rod this is the answer,well finished as all B&W handmade rods are, and once I got used to the action, cast a great line, I don't think it casts as easy as the 14 but perhaps thats my style as my friend handled it great, what suits one don't allways suite another.
Thanks again to Fawcetts for a great day regardless off the wet weather

j.mac

Reaction score
Bruce & walker s/head rod

So anyone using this rod whats your thoughts on it

Andy R

Reaction score
mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border
I've just bought one of these from eBay, looks mint apparently only used a couple of times. I shouldn't have really, but I fancied it at £281 plus postage I thought a good buy.

I know b&W rods well, and most of the time they tend to respond to a heavier line ( by one size) will my guideline RTG shortcut heads in #10/11 be too heavy for it? I've not a complete set of the lighter #9/10 heads.....how about a windcutter or a skagit?

I'm hoping to try it in anger on the north Esk at the end of the month ( if there's any rain) a 14 foot rod is about right on the north Esk in normal conditions...

Any advice from any owners of this rod?

bankwheel

Reaction score
There has been very little written about this rod, I read somewhere that it goes really well with the recommended 38g heads. It's a beautiful rod to look at but I've never cast it. Would love to here owners thoughts though

cake

Reaction score
I've been advised that like other B&W rods, a heavier size line works better i.e. ~ 42g :confused:
What do owners think?