Bruce and Walker 14ft Shooting Head Rod.

Richardgw

Reaction score
I see that on their website B&W advertise a medium fast action 14ft 4 piece shooting head rod rated at 37 grams which they state is proving 'incredibly popular'.

Has anyone tried one and if so any feedback would be much appreciated. :D

Richard

knut

Reaction score
Hi.
I`ve tried this rod a couple of times. I think they were devolped on request from a Norwegian B&W dealer some years ago.There are two dealers here.
Like any B&W rod they can be finished out any way you like, even in pink. B&w are more or less custom rodmakers. Have a look at the web site.
I suspect the SHs rods are based on the 4pce Norways, but the tip is lighter and the butt stiffer. In Norway we often talk of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 actions. The Norways (4pce) in genaral can be described as 3/4 action. Meaning that under normal load they will bend down approx 3/4 of the rodlenght. The SHs are more 1/2 action. I suppose in the UK this will make them midle to tip.
The finish on the rod I tried was superb. B&W cork is better than anyone else in the industry.
The rod was optimized for SHs and did very well with such lines btw 35 to 40 grams. I have not tried sinkers. A line like Rio Windcutter 8/9/10 cast with the whole head and a feet or two overhang, was great fun to cast. Longer lines like Carron 65 9/10 worked, but felt perhaps almost outside the design envelope.

Knut

Bucktail Bob

Banned
Reaction score
anyone tried this rod yet, i would like to see b&w putting some more info on their site ,rod weight, handle length etc

Haven't tried this one yet but heard good things about it but that means nothing till you give it a fling for yourself, i think most of us agree that B&W still make good rods but you are so right when it comes to the site you just think amateurs,not the case but when your looking to take business from the likes of loop and Guideline then you need to try a bit harder, even if you make the best rods in the world you still need to get the buying public attention and this is lacking somewhat with this great rod maker.

DOON ROD

Banned
Reaction score
If they stated that their rods are built to last and bullet proof and hardly ever break then surely that will take custom away from Guideline.........

knut

Reaction score
Hi Knut, can you tell me if the rod comes with a skandi style handle or has it the B&W spey style traditional handle?

Hi.
I just had a look at the B&W web site. The rod pictured there is finished quite different from the rod I tried, but I guess the blank is the same. The one I tried had a very nice matt black finish, black wraps with silver trims, a short black aluminum reel seat, ferrule stoppers and scandi like grip. The grip wasn`t very short and not too thick as some scandi grips tends to be.

Knut

knut

Reaction score
yes the top of the handle looks shorter but not very pretty imo , i suppose as they say you can have it how you like but that adds on more cost to an already expensive rod,

You are right. The price in Norway with the "super finish" exceeds 800£. There is a 13 and 15 ft version as well. Google speycasting.no and have a look.

Knut

DOON ROD

Banned
Reaction score
Knowing Brian and Kate at Bruce andWalker it probably wouldn't cost any extra if you wanted a shorter handle on the rod.

Whats the obsession nowadays with shorter handles anyway ?

Why not just drop your top hand slightly further down the handle ?

My McKenzie Signature has quite a long traditional handle and I still fish shooting heads off it, just by changing my grip.

Folk are way too fussy these days.

Last edited:

j.mac

Reaction score
yes the top of the handle looks shorter but not very pretty imo , i suppose as they say you can have it how you like but that adds on more cost to an already expensive rod,

Jimmy stop being a tackle tart and just buy one :D

j.mac

Reaction score
Maybe nae the shooting head one, might consider a norway though nae frills but a great rod and will handle a wide range of lines:cool:

NEbody

Reaction score
Check the Fawcetts ad in May's Trout & Salmon for what looks like a decent deal unless you want a bespoke finish.

ds42

Reaction score
Maybe nae the shooting head one, might consider a norway though nae frills but a great rod and will handle a wide range of lines:cool:

i,ve got a brand new norway 15ft 10/11 3 piece, seen about 4 hours use today, if your interested jock. just changed motors and struggling to get it in the wee car.

Reaction score
Thumbs up!

Fawcetts are also selling the shooting head rod for£485

Brian Potter brought one of these rods along to the Fawcetts casting day on the Lune this weekend. I had a go with it and thought it terrific. With a 9/10 AFS Outbound the line absolutely howled out. I think it might also go rather well with the 8/9 AFS which should speed it up even more. Definitely worth consideration and Brian says it will handle Spey lines as well, though I didn't try one on the rod.

Denfield Bud

Reaction score
Norway

I was on Cargill the other day with my 15' Norway.
I was taken a back how much line I was able to put out.
I usually struggle with 40yards.
I was using a Mckenzie g2 shooting head and running line.
After a dozen attempts at looping the running line i was able to hold 8 large loops,slowing my cast down I found the line was flying with a ping and jerk on the reel,wanting to do more.
Not everyone's cup of tea but will certainly do for me.
:cool:

roders

Reaction score
I went to the fawcets casting day and had a good 10 minutes with the rod and the 9/10 rio afs. I'd just been using the 14ft loop cross, the 14ft something hardy marksman s and 14ft catapult before it and I have to say it was very good! plenty of easy power. Its obviously heavier than the competition but B&W hadnt helped themselves by putting their seatrout reel on it. I'm positive a heavier reel would have made it feel as light as the others while casting.
Its difficult to explain but the rod had a definate "bomb proof" feel to it, absolute quality............... My mate ordered on there and then ;)
He didnt like the palm swell type lump on the front of the handle so they are building him one with a shorter type scandi handle at no extra cost.
A great rod that would no doubt last a lifetime. I personally preferred the 14 catapult out of these, but I think the b&w is superb.

Rod

silverleaper

Reaction score
14ft Shooting Head

Received delivery of new B&W Shootinghead rod yesterday, fished this morning and boy o boy what a great piece of kit, I had on a Rio 9/10 38 gm outbound shooting head on, it was a dream, ease of distance with a very tight loop, OK is a little heavier than some but the action and performance made up for it,
I have been a Loomis fan for many years but thanks to B&W this is the best I have ever used, As I was in the market for a 14fter I tried them all at Fawcetts casting day but went back to the B&W. (Brilliant)

Last edited: