Brown Trout

Teessider

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if BADAC is any good for brown trout as there seems to be a lot said of sea trout and salmon and little all else. Just a new member on this forum not long returned to fishing just last season. after about god knows how many yrs.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Hi,
I have the odd go for trout on there when the salmon gets tough going when it's low water.
There's some superb trout fishing to be had but patience and finding the good ones are the difficult part although there's an abundance of your run of the mill 1/2 pounders.

I've had trout up to 4lbs on the dry fly though but it's a waiting game for these fish unless you're nymphing.

There's certain parts that hold crackers though .

Teessider

Reaction score
Hi Lefthandup
Thanks for the quick reply appreciated i have not long joined the club just before xmas. Only managed to get a few grayling about 4in on dry fly only managed to get one session in. But due to lock down never got chance to go back. But looking about on internet Just seen lots about Salmon and seatrout. so was wondering if it was any good for browns. Again thanks for reply and i now know i have not wasted my money on joining.

Lynnzer

Reaction score
Hi Lefthandup
Thanks for the quick reply appreciated i have not long joined the club just before xmas. Only managed to get a few grayling about 4in on dry fly only managed to get one session in. But due to lock down never got chance to go back. But looking about on internet Just seen lots about Salmon and seatrout. so was wondering if it was any good for browns. Again thanks for reply and i now know i have not wasted my money on joining.
So have you managed anything yet? Bishop up to Escombe were good for me in my youth. Says he almost 75 now.

Teessider

Reaction score
So have you managed anything yet? Bishop up to Escombe were good for me in my youth. Says he almost 75 now.
To be honest i have found it quite hard going i missed loads of takes. Have managed to land a couple but small, Very weary fish they know the score have seen some lads fishing bait mainly worm and catch. but i have stuck with the dry flies. Have also managed to meet some nice people on the river. I am also a member of Derwent and have had a good season on there up to now all small stuff but good sport. I have been on the page bank section quite a few times and tried further down past bishop opposite direction to Escome did try once up next to the Saxon church but blanked there also. I am finding the river hard to be honest.

Last edited:

Tees88

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum & Bishop. This forum is mainly just for Salmon & sea trout so is heavily focused on them, but people on here do still fish for trout occasionally. There are many members on here who are part of Bishop or will have fished their water at some point in the past. So there is plenty of experience on here when it comes to the Wear/Bishop. Trout are naturally very wary so stealth is the key along with presentation, Grayling aren't as fussy so are easier to catch. Focus your energy into your approach & presentation, pattern wise whether nymphs or dries will be the age old patterns or my personal favorites would be; Soft hackle dry, Deer hair emerger, Jingler, F fly & some Paraduns. When it comes to nymphs I like PTNs in various sizes, Duracell, Perdigons & some Czech nymphs. I would possibly suggest either sticking to dry fly only for the moment & solely focus on that or the Duo method is a good all rounder and the dry fly will act as an indicator for you & will catch fish when they're not feeding on the surface. Hatches on the Wear can be very sporadic unlike other rivers. Which IMO is the issue with the trout numbers/size on the Wear. The trout are there, but I think in low numbers & size. If you haven't seen Jonathan Barnes videos I would definitely recommend watching them, you'll get some brilliant tips and most of his videos are done on the Tees, so easily transferable to the Wear. Hope that helps (y)

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
I would agree with all of the above.
Just remember that we are in drought conditions with high daytime temperatures and bright sunlight... Not ideal for catching brownies during the day.
Concentrate on first light and look for a spinner fall or last light for the same or a sedge hatch👍

Teessider

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum & Bishop. This forum is mainly just for Salmon & sea trout so is heavily focused on them, but people on here do still fish for trout occasionally. There are many members on here who are part of Bishop or will have fished their water at some point in the past. So there is plenty of experience on here when it comes to the Wear/Bishop. Trout are naturally very wary so stealth is the key along with presentation, Grayling aren't as fussy so are easier to catch. Focus your energy into your approach & presentation, pattern wise whether nymphs or dries will be the age old patterns or my personal favorites would be; Soft hackle dry, Deer hair emerger, Jingler, F fly & some Paraduns. When it comes to nymphs I like PTNs in various sizes, Duracell, Perdigons & some Czech nymphs. I would possibly suggest either sticking to dry fly only for the moment & solely focus on that or the Duo method is a good all rounder and the dry fly will act as an indicator for you & will catch fish when they're not feeding on the surface. Hatches on the Wear can be very sporadic unlike other rivers. Which IMO is the issue with the trout numbers/size on the Wear. The trout are there, but I think in low numbers & size. If you haven't seen Jonathan Barnes videos I would definitely recommend watching them, you'll get some brilliant tips and most of his videos are done on the Tees, so easily transferable to the Wear. Hope that helps (y)

Thank you for your reply i appreciate your experience and will watch the video's.

lax0341

Reaction score
There are really good trout and grayling in the BADAC stretch . But hard to catch in the summertime.
IMO the best months for it are April, May and September and November for the grayling.

Teessider

Reaction score
There are really good trout and grayling in the BADAC stretch . But hard to catch in the summertime.
IMO the best months for it are April, May and September and November for the grayling.
Thanks for reply appreciated.