Brexit

salarchaser

Reaction score
I could land a 50lb salmon on the Wear, hit a hole in one while playing in the British Open or score with Rachel Riley. However, due to the very low probability of any or all of those actually happening, I would be naive in thinking they could.
Apples and oranges.
You're likening something statistically improbable, depending on luck and outside your control with something driven by process and decision making, all of which is within your control.
Poor logic.

Walleye

Reaction score
If you’re right, all you’re illustrating really is that any problems we had with being a member of the EU were down to us, not them. Though I’m looking at the things we didn’t take part in - bigger things than a one-off procurement programme - and still thinking you’re wrong. You just need to have more faith in Britain... Stop talking her down... ;-)

Mmmhh, it's because I have faith in Britain as a global trading nation that I wanted out.

The problem with the EU was always the political direction they were taking. It was never palatable for UK voters. Even in the first referendum, voters were reassured there was no political agenda and it was only a trading bloc. How did that work out?
If we opted out of treaties that was the EU's problem, not ours.

Walleye

Reaction score
Apples and oranges.
You're likening something statistically improbable, depending on luck and outside your control with something driven by process and decision making, all of which is within your control.
Poor logic.
The control in that situation is an illusion. In reality there was no option for any of the big EU countries to go it alone. It would have meant disunity in a union at a time of crisis.

salarchaser

Reaction score
The control in that situation is an illusion. In reality there was no option for any of the big EU countries to go it alone. It would have meant disunity in a union at a time of crisis.
In your opinion. 🤔

Another topic for having to agree to disagree as we will never know.
Looking forward, it is of little relevance.
Have it as a 'win' for brexit.

Birkin

Reaction score
Seems a bit disingenuous given your post at 8824.

Lets just agree we may or may not be in the position we're in r.e. vaccine because we're out.
Also, we may or may not have been in the same position if we'd stayed in.
Either way, its not a victory for brexit.

Straw for sale. ;)
How is the post disingenuous. It doesn’t mention Brexit being a victory but that we ordered the vaccine early.
Lots of Lapwing, Fieldfare and Redwing on the field today. 🤙

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
In your opinion. 🤔

Another topic for having to agree to disagree as we will never know.
Looking forward, it is of little relevance.
Have it as a 'win' for brexit.
When the people of Germany start to turn on the EU the end of it becomes a question of when not if.

salarchaser

Reaction score

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
Unclear why germany has televance on this point.
If Germany leaves the EU all that's left of it is France. Macron won't hold a ref on it becuase he knows the French would vote Leave. However, if Macron loses to Le Pen next year that will be France out of the EU. So all this discussion about EU may become Otiose anyway.

Regards

NHP

salarchaser

Reaction score
If Germany leaves the EU all that's left of it is France. Macron won't hold a ref on it becuase he knows the French would vote Leave. However, if Macron loses to Le Pen next year that will be France out of the EU. So all this discussion about EU may become Otiose anyway.

Regards

NHP
So we were debating brexit and whether or not it was beneficial in aquiring early supplies of vaccine.

Once again I ask, what relevance has germany to that?
We agreed that brexit and its impact on vaccine contracts couldnt be proven one way or another.
Your post is a further level of abstraction, the relavance of which to the UKs supply of vaccine I fail to see.
Outside that context, you are probably right.

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
So we were debating brexit and whether or not it was beneficial in aquiring early supplies of vaccine.

Once again I ask, what relevance has germany to that?
We agreed that brexit and its impact on vaccine contracts couldnt be proven one way or another.
Your post is a further level of abstraction, the relavance of which to the UKs supply of vaccine I fail to see.
Outside that context, you are probably right.
Sigh. Well the reason the German people are so P/off is becasue they feel the EU utterly failed them on Vaccines. Germany started going it alone but the EU told them to stop (as they did with other EU countries). You can agree with yourself all you want that GB's position on vaccine has nothing to do with being in or out the EU but it turns out the German peoiple disagree with you (as does almost every other commentator in the UK, Eurpoe, USA and beyond) including rejoiners, and I'd add reality.

I hope that is relevant enough for you.

Regards

NHP

salarchaser

Reaction score
Sigh. Well the reason the German people are so P/off is becasue they feel the EU utterly failed them on Vaccines. Germany started going it alone but the EU told them to stop (as they did with other EU countries). You can agree with yourself all you want that GB's position on vaccine has nothing to do with being in or out the EU but it turns out the German peoiple disagree with you (as does almost every other commentator in the UK, Eurpoe, USA and beyond) including rejoiners, and I'd add reality.

I hope that is relevant enough for you.

Regards

NHP
Sigh.
As has been repeatedly stated, bothe scenarios couldnt be run so we will never know.
Ah well, I still dont see the relevance of this more abstract dimension.
Sigh.

pol_angler

Reaction score
Back to reality - Germany reports 500 odd new cases today, the UK likely will triple that. Coronavirus cases are falling dramatically across all countries and it has got bugger all to do with vaccination.

When (if ever) we see more daily cases on the continent than here, only then UK strategy/gamble could be claimed as success.

Birkin

Reaction score
Back to reality - Germany reports 500 odd new cases today, the UK likely will triple that. Coronavirus cases are falling dramatically across all countries and it has got bugger all to do with vaccination.

When (if ever) we see more daily cases on the continent than here, only then UK strategy/gamble could be claimed as success.
You will probably find that most of the new cases across europe including the UK will be of younger people so the death rate should fall along with the number of infections. Probably people who have not been vaccinated yet.

Walleye

Reaction score

Germany below
1613149289100.png

UK below
1613149392325.png

It is obvious that the rate of reduction in daily cases is far greater in the UK than in Germany.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score

pol_angler

Reaction score
Germany below
View attachment 56958

UK below
View attachment 56963

It is obvious that the rate of reduction in daily cases is far greater in the UK than in Germany.

I fail to see what's apparently so obvious to you. For clear comparison, some sort of mathematical formula involving ratios would be needed. I there is no such, I'll make one in spare time.

pol_angler

Reaction score
Based on recent three days highs and lows average.

UK 63763 high vs. 13141 low, 20.6% gives reduction in infections by 79.4%

Germany 31553 high vs. 5725 low, 18.31% gives reduction in new cases from high to low by 81.69%

I repeat my question. Where do you see that 'obvious' higher than Germany reduction rate in new cases?

SOS

Reaction score
Hasnt anyone told her she's still in the UK and the UK is out of the EU?

Yes she has been told, but she does not listen.

U.K to ban bottled water from E.U countries in retaliation for E.U ban on our shellfish,its not like we do not have enough water of our own.
Maybe she will insist on only Evian bottled water to be drank in Hollyrood parliament buildings.