Breiddalsa River

Icelander05

Reaction score
This is a late river but the tally just stands at 53 fish. And no fish listed between Aug. 2nd and 8th. Does anybody know what's going on there ?
Icelander05

JohnH

Reaction score
Not a clue......

I was on Breiddalsa 24, 25 and 26 July. River was low but by no means unfishable. I didn't see a single grilse during my time on the river which, considering the beautiful water and time of year, was a concern. A few MW fish trickling off each tide but the numbers were just not building as expected. Jokla, a little further north, was slow but ticking over OK in very difficult conditions. The other east coast rivers were generally having a tough spell and some rain was much needed. Obviously things can only improve from where they are now. It must be extremely difficult for the guides and staff at the lovely Eyja lodge, who i know have a very special relationship with this enchanting river. As MCXFisher said in previous post "we cant always have what we want from nature..."

john8

Reaction score
I fished a few salmon rivers in the northeast part of Iceland the first two weeks of August which is prime time for this area. The returns are way down this year on the rivers in the east and north of Iceland. The rivers on the west coast seem to be having more normal returns. When I was fishing on the northeast there were a few fish trickling in but no real runs of fish entering the rivers. There was an expectation this year of good grilse returns but that was not happening on east and north coast rivers for the most part. With the poor returns of grilse that does not bode well for returns of MSW fish next year to the rivers in this part of the country. Not sure what is happening but it seems to be out at sea.