Boris backs trees - really?

meyre

Reaction score
Radio 5 live this am has Mr Johnston wisely suggesting the way to stop flooding is to keep the water in the hills...with trees...Has sensible thinking broken out?

Handel

Reaction score
Radio 5 live this am has Mr Johnston wisely suggesting the way to stop flooding is to keep the water in the hills...with trees...Has sensible thinking broken out?
Only if he is also planning to buy out a load of hill farmers.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Unfortunately for Mr Johnson, the problems on our hillsides cannot be sorted by a few trees, or even a few million trees. Moorland restoration is a bit more complex and hugely more expensive than planting a few trees.

A start maybe, but no solution to the problem.

meyre

Reaction score
Well quite a number may go when the tariffs are set.....that doesn't mean anyone will plant any birch....was he thinking of paying my hill top cousins money to become gardeners?

ibm59

Reaction score
I can see where this is headed.
Mark my words , it’ll all end in tears and snotters

Handel

Reaction score
Well quite a number may go when the tariffs are set.....that doesn't mean anyone will plant any birch....was he thinking of paying my hill top cousins money to become gardeners?
Nah too slow, plant something quicker growing............acid run off, what's that?

charlieH

Reaction score
was he thinking of paying my hill top cousins money to become gardeners?
Quite possibly, if policies from the previous government are carried forward.

Tree-planting in England falls 71% short of government target | Environment | The Guardian

"Michael Gove, the environment secretary, has promised a national campaign of tree-planting, with pledges from the government of £50m for 10m new rural trees and £10m for 130,000 urban trees by 2022."

We're supposed to be doubling the area under woodland, apparently.

Tree planting in UK 'must double to tackle climate change' | Environment | The Guardian

Last edited:

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Very heavy rain falls on already waterlogged ground, and houses built on flood plains flood. This will happen regardless of whether more trees are planted or not. Or am i missing something?

charlieH

Reaction score
Very heavy rain falls on already waterlogged ground, and houses built on flood plains flood. This will happen regardless of whether more trees are planted or not. Or am i missing something?
Even at this time of year, when the trees aren't actively growing and drawing up water, they do still help to alleviate the problem. The soil almost certainly won't be saturated deep down, and tree roots create fine channels that allow rain to penetrate deeper into the soil more easily than it might otherwise do - especially when compared to ground that is regularly worked by machine and so is likely to have developed a pan below the surface. If you were to walk across an arable field, and then through a mature wood next to it, I think you would notice a difference underfoot.

Some of the rainfall will go to replenish the water table, especially in areas where the underlying rock is porous (e.g. chalk or limestone), but even aside from that, getting the water deeper underground will slow the rate of runoff and hence reduce the problem of flooding.

You're right that it won't entirely eliminate the problems that arise when housing is built in inappropriate areas, but it will help a bit.

Linloskin

Reaction score
Hmmmm,
Speaking as someone whos local river has been hugely affected by mass afforestation in the headwaters... trees aint always good!
Mass conifer afforestation planting requires drainage channels and ditches and also dolloping for the trees - all resulting in increased run off as the rainwater is channeled down the drains or tracks from the excavators. Sitka spruce and other conifers also scavenge air pollution and result in acidifcation of the watercourses... then the is the overshading and siltation!!!

Native trees planted by hand - yes that is only good - mass afforestation of the headwaters will only lead to the destruction of the river.

LL

tealblue

Reaction score
Wouldn't believe anything that comes out a politicians mouth especially around election time:mad:

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Borris does not know much about trees (or much really). It was only a few years back when they were levelling forests for HS2 that he said, "There is no such thing as ancient woodland as there are no trees over 50 years old'. Man is really not to be trusted. Lie down in front of bull dosers to stop the new run way. Good way to end up 'dead in a ditch".

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Jo Swinson says a lib dem government will plant twice as many trees as a Conservative government will.

Oh dear lord!

Last edited: