Border Esk 2021

Mick_G

Reaction score
Myself and my brother fished just below skippers bridge on Saturday just gone, river seemed a perfect height, we had a pull each which may have been brownies but never seen a thing in 6 or 7 hours fishing, it’s turning out to be a tough river to crack for myself!

mick

keirstream

Reaction score
Burnfoot Beat had a decent day Yesterday , Monday 11th with 32 fish grassed ,
Good no's similar to Beat 9 on the Thurso to 2 rods Fly only ,
Burnfoot mostly caught on worm shrimp and spinner and up to 10 rods or more
Heard 1 rod had 20 on shrimp?

Martin the fisher

Reaction score
2 rods had 20 between them , 12 & 8, no mention what 32 anglers methods caught
25 from the Mound pool, more than likely most on shrimp
I believe almost all caught on the shrimp or worm, not great catching late season fish in them kind of numbers. You might as well go stockie bashing!

These fish now have to run nearly the whole length of the river to spawn, shrimp and worm should be banned from end of August, any method allowed at Burnfoot all for the sake of catch numbers and ticket sales.

Scierra

Reaction score
I'm guessing the most successful rods bag a good "peg" and work away at it all day to amass their catches ?
That's my experience of fishing there..
I believe almost all caught on the shrimp or worm, not great catching late season fish in them kind of numbers. You might as well go stockie bashing!

These fish now have to run nearly the whole length of the river to spawn, shrimp and worm should be banned from end of August, any method allowed at Burnfoot all for the sake of catch numbers and ticket sales.
Exactly never truer words said, worse than any Angling Association Club, shocker bashing gravid fish allday , bet there are a few multi catches there too, as they have been grassing gravid fish there since mid August , how many deep hooked on the worm ? I've fished the Moud pool and 2 shrimpers got lodged in the pool and never moved, fished the beat once , never again though , time the shrimp and worm was banned on all British rivers, the most unsporting way to catch salmon more so shrimp prawn and worm , howking gravid fish day after day , get a life , we need these fish to spawn,
I wonder how many fish were caught on the opposite bank too ?
Beats me why so many fish hold up in this tidal water most of the season , why don.t they run the river to sanctuary on the E & L AA waters ?
Maybe get the catches up and live in hope of CCR being dropped ,

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
It must be quite an income stream for the owners, 10 rods per day and up to £55 per rod and seemingly heavily booked for September and October, possibly earlier as well ?

£17K income for October alone !!

Scierra

Reaction score
It must be quite an income stream for the owners, 10 rods per day and up to £55 per rod and seemingly heavily booked for September and October, possibly earlier as well ?

£17K income for October alone !!
The last time I spoke to the Owner there were 7 syndicate rods fishing 1 day per week , 49 syn rods , & £450 each back then ?
4 fishpal rods sold per day throughout the season , all sold now
Also Longhtown AA were allowed to fish the top few pools down to Wilkies,
Desperado fishing

BMiller

Reaction score
I don’t know what has changed but many years ago when I fished the Border Esk the cream of the autumn fishing was the Willow Pool, Cauldron and Netherby. We used to catch fish at Tinnans but nothing like these quantities. I wonder why the fish are holding on the tidal water and not moving upstream?

wormo

Reaction score
fair play to the comments on banning the worm especially at this time of year but why ban the shrimp ?
it does not do any more harm than than any other method infact imo less as they are hooked in the front of the mouth or scissors
would we be shouting to ban the fly if someone rocket up an howked 20 out in a day ?
if its the ethics of fishing for coloured fish then mabe we should ban the lot

Cascade

Reaction score
fair play to the comments on banning the worm especially at this time of year but why ban the shrimp ?
it does not do any more harm than than any other method infact imo less as they are hooked in the front of the mouth or scissors
would we be shouting to ban the fly if someone rocket up an howked 20 out in a day ?
It sounds too easy to hammer salmon trapped in a pool in low water using the shrimp? Can't be good for anglers on the rest of the river to have so many fish being caught on one beat.

wormo

Reaction score
Too True!
The beat owners should consider the welfare of the fish and the river as a whole, not just look after their individual beat.
I can see your point
but if you owned the beat and relied on ticket sales would you really see it that way ?
unfortunately it is a business and although ethics suggest to us gravid fish shouldn't be pressured this way , in reality they are breaking no rules
mabe time for a season time change to protect the dwindling stocks , Tweed is a prime example living off a long gone run
I would also say that the twice I fished there the EA were there checking things out

Scierra

Reaction score
I can see your point
but if you owned the beat and relied on ticket sales would you really see it that way ?
unfortunately it is a business and although ethics suggest to us gravid fish shouldn't be pressured this way , in reality they are breaking no rules
mabe time for a season time change to protect the dwindling stocks , Tweed is a prime example living off a long gone run
I would also say that the twice I fished there the EA were there checking things out

The Beat owner owns a farm , the fishing will be 100% more profitable as no outlay , no ghillie, watch out for the bullocks that roam allong the riverbank, cars especially.

Catching fish on the shrimp float or freeline fishing is like shelling peas although the latter takes more skill , Float fishing the shrimp there is no tug is the drug , and I have deep hooked many on free lining a mounted shrimp as the fish have to intercept it as in a fly or flying C .
So why the creation of crow s--t is the shrimp and prawn banned on most Scottish rivers and some English top beats ? Its not cos of the upper class , or fly anglers , its simply not a sporting methods for thes magnificent fish ,
Ban them both more so the worm

Try following a shrimp angler on the mound pool ? you will have to walk around them as they will stand like herrings and fish letting their flost drift up to 50 yds below them. if they start behind you you will have no chance of fishing through the pool again .

Last edited:

wormo

Reaction score
The Beat owner owns a farm , the fishing will be 100% more profitable as no outlay , no ghillie, watch out for the bullocks that roam allong the riverbank, cars especially.

Catching fish on the shrimp float or freeline fishing is like shelling peas although the latter takes more skill , Float fishing the shrimp there is no tug is the drug , and I have deep hooked many on free lining a mounted shrimp as the fish have to intercept it as in a fly or flying C .
Why in the creation of crow s--t is the shrimp and prawn banned on most Scottish rivers and some English top beats ? Its not cos of the upper class , or fly anglers , its simply not a sporting methods for thes magnificent fish ,
Ban them both more so the wormo

Try following a shrimp angler on the mound pool ? you will have to walk around them as they will stand like herrings and fish letting their flost drift up to 50 yds below them. if they start behind you you will have no chance of fishing through the pool again .
sorry m8 I'm not reading that utter pile of **** u just spouted. the kind of utter snobby attitude and ignorance in that whole post is astounding
don't really give two tosses on your reply
utter nonsense

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

davidelemes888.

Reaction score
I can see your point
more caught on fly spinner than worm

fishless26

Reaction score
I will never understand why folk argue about others catching fish on methods which ain't the one they're using and now saying shouldn't fish over gravid fish, in that case no one should fish at all in the uk in the Autumn regardless of method.
I fish whatever method I feel is appropriate to the river conditions because I like catching fish, rather be an all rounder than a one trick pony

Cascade

Reaction score
I will never understand why folk argue about others catching fish on methods which ain't the one they're using and now saying shouldn't fish over gravid fish, in that case no one should fish at all in the uk in the Autumn regardless of method.
I fish whatever method I feel is appropriate to the river conditions because I like catching fish, rather be an all rounder than a one trick pony
I think the issue is the sheer number of fish being caught on the shrimp by one or two anglers. Its not good practice or sustainable to catch 20 salmon a day when salmon runs are in serious decline. I think the relevant authorities should consider the impacts.

In 2020 Burnfoot declared a catch of 487 salmon, I believe the total catch for the river was 613, as reported by EA.

fishless26

Reaction score
I think the issue is the sheer number of fish being caught on the shrimp by one or two anglers. Its not good practice or sustainable to catch 20 salmon a day when salmon runs are in serious decline. I think the relevant authorities should consider the impacts.

In 2020 Burnfoot declared a catch of 487 salmon, I believe the total catch for the river was 613, as reported by EA.
Ok if the fish took the fly more than the shrimp would the answer be ban the fly? The fisherman are only fishing the most successful method on the day, I don't mind catching a coloured fish, yes I would prefer a fresh one but a bend in the rod is a bend in the rod and all fish are in the river to spawn regardless of colour or location.... Can understand the fish dropping milt or eggs while handling them ready to return but then thats a chance you take on any river in the Autumn

Cascade

Reaction score
Ok if the fish took the fly more than the shrimp would the answer be ban the fly? The fisherman are only fishing the most successful method on the day, I don't mind catching a coloured fish, yes I would prefer a fresh one but a bend in the rod is a bend in the rod and all fish are in the river to spawn regardless of colour or location.... Can understand the fish dropping milt or eggs while handling them ready to return but then thats a chance you take on any river in the Autumn
I can't criticise anglers if they are fishing within the rules, but I would criticise the EA for letting it happen. Here in Wales, worm and prawn are now totally banned for salmon and sea trout, and shrimp is currently limited for a short period of 4 or 5 weeks max, and banned completely on some rivers.
Salmon catches on Welsh rivers have plummeted, so serious action was needed......rivers like Nith and Annan have also suffered massive declines, so surely sensible restraints are needed before salmon runs become so small that they disappear and/or angling for them is banned.