Border Esk 2021

Martin the fisher

Reaction score
Hearing a 6lb springer was taken from a private beat just below Canonbie, if true it looks to be the first fish from the Esk, reports of a fish or two spotted on the Canonbie beat also.

Mick_G

Reaction score
When would be best to start fishing the border esk around Langholm? Going to make more effort to fish it this year once restrictions ease.

Many thanks
Mick

Martin the fisher

Reaction score
When would be best to start fishing the border esk around Langholm? Going to make more effort to fish it this year once restrictions ease.

Many thanks
Mick
Mick

Best time to start properly fishing is after the second flood in May, fish will be caught before then but not in numbers!
Let me know if your thinking about a visit and I’ll give you the latest info !

Mick_G

Reaction score
Mick

Best time to start properly fishing is after the second flood in May, fish will be caught before then but not in numbers!
Let me know if your thinking about a visit and I’ll give you the latest info !
That’s very kind of you and greatly appreciated!

fingers crossed for being able to get out after the 26th!

mick

Martin the fisher

Reaction score
A couple of salmon taken from the tidal beats this week, also some seatrout starting to appear around Canonbie, the next bit of water should see fishing improve all along the river.

Martin the fisher

Reaction score
6 fish off the tidal beats today despite the conditions
Fishing methods should be restricted down at the tidal beats, those fish are caught time and time again, with the current conditions they cant move upstream.
Should be fly only at low levels.

The odd decent seatrout coming out of the Canonbie beat at night, but to be far this season is an absolute disaster so far, can not understand why the powers that be are not investigating the severe lack of salmon and seatrout.

Praying for rain !

barbonboy

Reaction score
I was on the Burnfoot water last week. A few nice fish showing, salmon, and sea trout. All I could manage was a decent grayling.

Scierra

Reaction score
Fishing methods should be restricted down at the tidal beats, those fish are caught time and time again, with the current conditions they cant move upstream.

Prob why Burnfoot catch return looks so good with repeat takers shrimp & worm take the majority

Mick_G

Reaction score
Hi Martin, worth trying up around skippers bridge if there’s water in now?

can’t wait to get back over when it gets a lift!

cheers
Mick

Scierra

Reaction score

The odd decent seatrout coming out of the Canonbie beat at night, but to be far this season is an absolute disaster so far, can not understand why the powers that be are not investigating the severe lack of salmon and seatrout.

Praying for rain !
Martin
Good to here you grassed a 10lber (y)

The Burnfoot beat will be getting plundered with worm and shrimp till the end of the season . it will never change down there , CCR river should not be allowed to fish the worm , deep hookers

Last edited:

dave_n

Reaction score
I think I'm on Burnfoot on Monday as part of a rod share. As Martin says, they are on the move so looking forward to it

Martin the fisher

Reaction score
Fished last night, lovely water, first cast salmon on !

Unfortunately shook the hook after a minute or so, but seemed fresh and around 8-10lb, how do they come loose after such a savage take is beyond me, landed a 3lb seatrout, loads of other plucks and pulls, finished at 9.30 pm, home for a beer!

A great evenings fishing, wandering around some of my favourite spots.

dave_n

Reaction score
Shared a rod today at Burnfoot...second cast was into a decent fish which decided it didn't want to play.
Lots of fish milling around and quit a few fresh ones. Enjoyed seeing a few fish for a change and managed a little sunburn too!

Martin the fisher

Reaction score
Perfect today, lovely water, a nice grilse for me early doors, other anglers amongst the fish today too.

Fishing running in good numbers after the last lift, should be worth a cast tomorrow and wednesday.

Mick_G

Reaction score
Looks like a good lift today! Hoping to get on tomorrow afternoon which might be a bit optimistic as apparently it’s over 4ft at canonby…..

Scierra

Reaction score
Burnfoot Beat had a decent day Yesterday , Monday 11th with 32 fish grassed ,
Good no's similar to Beat 9 on the Thurso to 2 rods Fly only ,
Burnfoot mostly caught on worm shrimp and spinner and up to 10 rods or more

Cascade

Reaction score
Burnfoot Beat had a decent day Yesterday , Monday 11th with 32 fish grassed ,
Good no's similar to Beat 9 on the Thurso to 2 rods Fly only ,
Burnfoot mostly caught on worm shrimp and spinner and up to 10 rods or more
I see Burnfoot beat caught 486 fish in 2020!!
Sounds like a classic low water beat?