Bog Roll?

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
Like the bank robber said in the opening scenes of the original Dirty Harry movie, "I just gots to know".

Why do you call it Bog Roll?

Chicharito

Reaction score
Like the bank robber said in the opening scenes of the original Dirty Harry movie, "I just gots to know".

Why do you call it Bog Roll?
[h=2]Bog[/h]'The bog is a colloquial expression in British English for a toilet. Originally "bog" was used to describe an open cesspit and the word was later applied to the privy connected to it. More wide-spread is the usage bogroll, meaning toilet paper. See also tree bog, not to be confused with the swampland meaning of bog.'

[h=2]Privy[/h]The Privy is an old fashioned term used more in the North of England and in Scotland, a possible derivation meaning private place.

Simples!

happy days

Reaction score
In the 70s they were regularly thrown from the terraces at football matches onto the pitch unrolling in flight it was the heady days before flares and smoke bombs :)

Chicharito

Reaction score
In the 70s they were regularly thrown from the terraces at football matches onto the pitch unrolling in flight it was the heady days before flares and smoke bombs :)
Too valuable nowadays even if there was football matches !
Fans would be running onto the pitch to pick them up !

salarchaser

Reaction score
[h=2]Bog[/h]'The bog is a colloquial expression in British English for a toilet. Originally "bog" was used to describe an open cesspit and the word was later applied to the privy connected to it. More wide-spread is the usage bogroll, meaning toilet paper. See also tree bog, not to be confused with the swampland meaning of bog.'

[h=2]Privy[/h]The Privy is an old fashioned term used more in the North of England and in Scotland, a possible derivation meaning private place.

Simples!

In wales it was called 'ty bach', little house, from when they stood alone at the bottom of the garden.

Made (in)famous by max boyce.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...IwAHoECAoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw04FzJWG-v6WqQS0Yz51cCT

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
I've always called it 'Brownie Thumb' however I don't know where I picked that expression up.......

keirstream

Reaction score
We Scots are never happy in the morning until we've had a sit down in the bog, (Also known as having a bog). It is after that process that we use said bog roll. Once that has been done and the ablutions have been completed we are then in a position to take on the world.:)
Robert The Bruce and William Wallace both prepared for battle in this manner.
Another term you might come across is "bogging" used as an adjective.
That means that the room or even house stinks or smells horrible.:nod:

ozzyian

Reaction score
No, it's the result of not using enough of the bog roll or the occasional slip up :lol:
In 'Straylya the wash room is less euphemystically but undoubtedly more accurately known as the s***house (though generally not whilst Sheilas or the vicar are around)

If you had shown clever technique and deployed intelligence to have caught a difficult to catch salmon (for example) an impressed and maybe a little envious ozzy fisherman might say in that laconic and lazy way of talking 'that Ard, he's cunning like the s***house rat'

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
In 'Straylya the wash room is less euphemystically but undoubtedly more accurately known as the s***house (though generally not whilst Sheilas or the vicar are around)

If you had shown clever technique and deployed intelligence to have caught a difficult to catch salmon (for example) an impressed and maybe a little envious ozzy fisherman might say in that laconic and lazy way of talking 'that Ard, he's cunning like the s***house rat'
:lol::lol::lol:

Having had a resurgence in rats in the garden the last few days, I'm hoping they're not that cunning! Took two out earlier this evening with the air rifle. Not quite driven grouse...... hey ho, beggars can't be choosers:lol:

Wee Maggie the BT may be days off being 13 yet still as keen as mustard, staking out the hole waiting for them. She's fit for the dirty wee b'uggers too!

Ach, another job to keep me busy. Look's like some concrete has crumbled on the sewage trap wall...again. Dig down, re-concrete, re fill and the job will be a good one.

Mind you, my boredom is such I may leave it a wee while....the shooting gives me something to do!:thumb:

Walleye

Reaction score
I'm built like a brick shithouse. 6ft 4, 18.5 stone and all muscle apart from the blubber and err "big bones".

The bog is also known in my house, well by me anyway, as the shitter. Some call it the crapper; urban legend about the German inventor of the water closet. In polite circles (for me anyway) one might say to one's host "Az gannin forra cr@p" I guess that's why the swear filter on here blocks the word cr@p.

Thrasher

Reaction score

Another onevalong those lines referring to someone with good eyesight is "they've got een (eyes) like a $hithoose rat".

happy days

Reaction score
In Liverpool its often called khasi roll, the wc is the khasi and a person lacking courage is referred to as a khasi :)

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm built like a brick shithouse. 6ft 4, 18.5 stone and all muscle apart from the blubber and err "big bones".

The bog is also known in my house, well by me anyway, as the shitter. Some call it the crapper; urban legend about the German inventor of the water closet. In polite circles (for me anyway) one might say to one's host "Az gannin forra cr@p" I guess that's why the swear filter on here blocks the word cr@p.
I think that the shitter is the most widely recognized term for the room in America. While some insist it's "the rest room" I never quite got that, rest? Also widely known as the "bath room" but I've not had many guests ever take a bath whille in there.............

Loxie

Reaction score

Thomas Crapper was an Englishman. He didn't invent the water closest but he did make it more practical with a number of improvements including the u bend.

In my house it's the throne room. Or shitter.

Loxie

Reaction score

Is it not a dunny? As in: "she bangs like a dunny door when the plague's in town".

tawsalmon

Reaction score
Probably best that we don’t extend this debate on to the dubious benefits of Izal toilet paper that some of a certain vintage may recall for fear of a pandemic of brown thumbs all round!

OK, I’ll get my coat.....

gaula

Reaction score
Reading these post, reminded me of when I was a young boy in the late forty's living in East Sussex, in the school holidays, I used to stay at my grans smallholding,
the toilet, was very basic, it was outside, built like a small shed,& painted black,there was a door at the front, inside consisted of a bench type structure across the width
of the hut, with the front part where your legs were hanging, closed in. there was a large round hole cut in the bench, where you sat, & the bench was hinged at the back,
underneath, the hole, sat a large bucket to catch everything. the toilet paper consisted of torn up newspaper, which was in ample supply on the bench.

My grandad, used to empty the bucket, but to this day, I still have no idea as to when he done it, or where he put the contents.

By the way, the toilet was nicknamed by all, as THE BLACK CHAPEL. happy days

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
Reading that reminded me I had this photo.

Built that years ago to replace the old one, that's my favorite spot for deep thought while staying at the cabin in the bush here. There's a 6 foot deep hole under that one and real bog roll to wipe the brown eye with. I won't explain the design but I built it with a ventilation that works beautifully allowing one to reach deep meditative states while you totally relax without any unpleasantness of smell.......