Bloke switch rod guide spacing

TAG190589

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has built one of the bloke switch rods. How did you go about determining the guide spacings?

Cheers!

fishpond

Reaction score
I haven't made one of those but you have three options a) drop Mick Bell a line as he will have spacings he uses for that blank - if you are close to selkirk go and see him it's a real eye opener in his shop; a veritable Aladdins cave for rod builders b) go on line and get spacings from one of the US sites for an equivalent blank e.g. Sage publish all their ring spacings for all ranges c) measure the spacing on one of your mates rods of similar size - I have a Airflo Nantec 11'3" #7 which I can measure for you at weekend

Best regards

Richard

Handel

Reaction score
Call Mick.

I have two but I can't measure them for you until next week.

Great rod.

Reaction score
c) measure the spacing on one of your mates rods of similar size - I have a Airflo Nantec 11'3" #7 which I can measure for you at weekend

Best regards

Richard

I always thought ring spacing was particular to the rod's action rather than length so as not to create flat spots under load. Is this not the case?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

fishpond

Reaction score
You'd think so and if you compared a really deep flexing rod with a tip action one then the rings would have to be closer together and possibly more numerous on the former than the latter but there's often not a huge difference when you compare rods of same length with similar actions and line rating - it's ensuring the line doesn't change angle too much over one ring when the rod is loaded rather than flat spots that you need to avoid.

Tight lines

Richard

QUOTE=Procurator Fishcal;1065978]I always thought ring spacing was particular to the rod's action rather than length so as not to create flat spots under load. Is this not the case?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Mick_G

Reaction score
Holy thread revival 😂

did you get round to building the switch rod? I have the guide spacings from mick but they put an eye on the bottom (butt) section which seems odd?

cheers
Mick

reedwarbler

Reaction score
Holy thread revival 😂

did you get round to building the switch rod? I have the guide spacings from mick but they put an eye on the bottom (butt) section which seems odd?

cheers
Mick
I just moved mine up a bit doesnt make a difference give Mick a ring the distance between the gold trims is approx 10mm
the section i think you mean is the one in the centre in the pic

Attachments

• IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Mick_G

Reaction score
I’ll be speaking to mick tomorrow if I get a chance, he’s always very helpful I know, just wondered if it was a common occurrence 👍

the spacings I have seem to be a little out, I’ve already had to move a snake guide the same as yours in that photo but the spacings I have put the largest ceramic insert guide about 5” down the butt section!

thanks again
Mick

nickolas

Reaction score
What surprises me about guides on fly rods is the diameters of the rings, I note that loop are starting to go up a size. If you look at the carp fishermen and the guides on there rods are massive by comparison and they are using nylon etc, the resistance of the running line going through such a small ring must be massive. Why do the manufactures use such small guides.

cuda

Reaction score
What surprises me about guides on fly rods is the diameters of the rings, I note that loop are starting to go up a size. If you look at the carp fishermen and the guides on there rods are massive by comparison and they are using nylon etc, the resistance of the running line going through such a small ring must be massive. Why do the manufactures use such small guides.
I would suggest partly because carpists insist on using huge fixed spools (larger than I would use in saltwater for bigger fish!) which means the coils coming off the big spool are of much larger diameter to be tamed by a large bottom ring - fly line doesn’t reach the bottom ring in such coils so a huge ring isn’t need plus the fact that a set of rings which are larger will add considerable weight.

nickolas

Reaction score
I would suggest partly because carpists insist on using huge fixed spools (larger than I would use in saltwater for bigger fish!) which means the coils coming off the big spool are of much larger diameter to be tamed by a large bottom ring - fly line doesn’t reach the bottom ring in such coils so a huge ring isn’t need plus the fact that a set of rings which are larger will add considerable weight.
On the other hand, guys are slowly coming round to mono on the running line, which definitely gives you more distance although it may not be a pritty as casting with a 70ft Spey line. When I first started fishing I was using a silk line which shot through the rings that were generally smaller in diameter, I then was taught to cast a trout cane rod with a cut down heavy salmon line spliced onto a nylon running line, this is 55years ago, really cutting edge to where we are today. Not sure of the relevance of the reel type to the ring sizes as guy’s using beach casters are using multiplier to maxim distance.

cuda

Reaction score
On the other hand, guys are slowly coming round to mono on the running line, which definitely gives you more distance although it may not be a pritty as casting with a 70ft Spey line. When I first started fishing I was using a silk line which shot through the rings that were generally smaller in diameter, I then was taught to cast a trout cane rod with a cut down heavy salmon line spliced onto a nylon running line, this is 55years ago, really cutting edge to where we are today. Not sure of the relevance of the reel type to the ring sizes as guy’s using beach casters are using multiplier to maxim distance.
Beach rods rung for multipliers will have more rings (as the line is on top of the blank) and smaller rings, those rung for Fs reels as I say above had much larger rings. Multipliers cast further because as the line level reduces, there is no increased friction whereas a fixed spool as the line level reduces the angle to the lip of the spool increases and increased friction.

That and fixed spools on the beach are for girls and Europeans, real men fish with a multiplier mounted at the bottom of the butt (making it bloody hard work winding in lol!).