Blasted salmon and sea trout on the East coast of Scotland?

Deepwading

Reaction score
There are persistent rumours that very large quantities of industrial-grade high explosives will soon be detonated underwater at former coastal salmon netting stations near Aberdeen.

Piker20

Reaction score
You'd think all the seal huggers would be out in force.

Eh that's an idea, prebait the area for seals and "accidently" thin them out a little.

Rrrr

Reaction score
You'd think all the seal huggers would be out in force.

Eh that's an idea, prebait the area for seals and "accidently" thin them out a little.
I like the sound of exploding seals.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Deepwading

Reaction score
Blasted salmon and sea trout?

There are persistent rumours that very large quantities of industrial-grade high explosives will soon be detonated underwater at former coastal salmon netting stations near Aberdeen.

A bit of research on the internet suggests that it will involve detonating nearly 700 tonnes of high explosives. That's 700,000 kilograms.

There will be two main detonations a day - Monday to Saturday - for many months. Each underwater detonation will involve up to a tonne of explosives.

A new coastal mixed-stock (explosive) salmon and sea trout 'fishery'?

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
A bit of research on the internet suggests that it will involve detonating nearly 700 tonnes of high explosives. That's 700,000 kilograms.

There will be two main detonations a day - Monday to Saturday - for many months. Each underwater detonation will involve up to a tonne of explosives.

A new coastal mixed-stock (explosive) salmon and sea trout 'fishery'?

It would help if you stopped talking in riddles and say what you actually know.

fly guy

Reaction score
I think it may be something to do with the expansion of Aberdeen harbour and an underwater noise impact study has been carried out. It involves blasting, piling, dredging etc..........I could not see anything else on the internet:confused:

mows

Reaction score
I think it may be something to do with the expansion of Aberdeen harbour and an underwater noise impact study has been carried out. It involves blasting, piling, dredging etc..........I could not see anything else on the internet:confused:

That was my thought too, but no idea why the talking in riddles.

Strange.

G

guest2938

It can only be the new Torry harbour works, or the installation of the offshore wind turbines

DCH

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
Still not seeing that many riddles, though Deepwading appears to have a confused myriad of language/turns of phrase. Looked like there was a description of what and where, though admittedly not why:

viz:

• There are persistent rumours that very large quantities of industrial-grade high explosives will soon be detonated underwater at former coastal salmon netting stations near Aberdeen...

• A bit of research on the internet suggests that it will involve detonating nearly 700 tonnes of high explosives. That's 700,000 kilograms.

• There will be two main detonations a day - Monday to Saturday - for many months. Each underwater detonation will involve up to a tonne of explosives

Is it true? Lots of stuff online about planning given within 3 years ago for the harbour expansion etc. Not much about community engagement or feedback from salmon interests visible, though the RSPB were apparently worried about deleterious impacts on flipper... :rolleyes:

Either way divvn't fret: it's all going to be ok. As we all know full well, there's no problem with the river or the near-river & estuarial influenced marine. And the outgoing smolts and returning adults don't run along the coast and actually apparently just use the D-Bored Patented Salmon SockTM, which bypasses the estuary altogether. Result.

;)Regardless, all we will need is 20-odd years of C&R and we'll be absolutely rolling in salmon.

:wait:

:D:):D:):D:):D:)

Maybe they will continue to increasingly go up the Northie...

G

guest2938

I don`t know why i had`nt until now, but today I clicked the link on your signature "Fed up of debating C&R - see here" going all the way back 8 years ago, ..........and i am glad that i did.

DCH

fachabala

Reaction score
Anything to do with blowing up Aberdeen has got to be a good idea :flock::boom::whoo::lol::lol:

mmb051

Reaction score
Aberdeen Harbour Expansion

The most surprising, and worrying, aspect of the Aberdeen Harbour Board expansion is that the R Dee Board appears to be keeping its head down. I couldn’t find mention of it in the minutes of meetings published on their website. Twice daily explosions of the magnitude stated must surely have a detrimental effect on migrating fish. Previous studies have shown these migratory routes are right in line with the area of explosions.
Further, there is another giant windmill going up in Aberdeen Bay and other significant industrial developments are planned in the Moray Firth, Nigg, Montrose Bay and off the mouth of the Tay. The last episode of BBC Landward described the push for huge expansions of tidal power installations in the Pentland Firth. Are the licencing authorities aware of the implications to migrating fish and a host of other marine animals?

SOS

Reaction score
The wind farm at Aberdeen bay is being developed by a company called Vattenfall Who when asked by the Dee board/trust about the impact it would have on the Salmon and Seatrout gave the board one million pounds towards the smolt tracking study, so maybe there have been similar donations in the Moray firth and Aberdeen harbour projects.

Deepwading

Reaction score

UPDATE: Local sources have confirmed that the program of underwater detonations has begun.

No mention on the local fisheries websites etc. Nothing.

It all seems like another case of 'what's happening isn't happening..'

Eminem

Reaction score
No blasting was required for the wind farm however some blasting has already taken place for the new deepwater bearth and more is planned.