Blank manufacturers and options available?

Sk8ter

Reaction score
I'm hoping to gather some information on who the better blank manufacturers are and what options are out there when it comes to picking a supplier and possibly a rod builder? I know I'm looking at getting a 4 piece, Skagit, fast action 13' - 13'6" (around 9 weight) to cast a 500gr -550gr Skagit Max Gamechanger or similar SH.

Would first like to assess who the better blank manufacturers are?

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I'm hoping to gather some information on who the better blank manufacturers are and what options are out there when it comes to picking a supplier and possibly a rod builder? I know I'm looking at getting a 4 piece, Skagit, fast action 13' - 13'6" (around 9 weight) to cast a 500gr -550gr Skagit Max Gamechanger or similar SH.

Would first like to assess who the better blank manufacturers are?
Sage sell blanks and they are mainly fast action. Not cheap though. These guys sell lots of blanks including sage

Sk8ter

Reaction score
Sage sell blanks and they are mainly fast action. Not cheap though. These guys sell lots of blanks including sage
Thanks. not a huge fan of Sage. One bust on me on a trip (3 days after getting it) to British Columbia, shop replaced with G-Loomis which is a super rod and been on many trips. Maybe it's just my bias but the experience made me a Loomis fan and the disappointment that day on the river with the Sage shall never be forgotten.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Would have thought with a skagit head you'd want a bit slower/full action?

Sage blanks at the moment are on about a 4 month waiting list depending on the model. I was told that they're currently not planning to make some blanks/rod ranges till next year because they're so backed up.

Love my Sage Sonic 10ft 7wt, and was tempted to build on a sage blank myself, but I can't justify it. The quality of most Sage corks are well and truly above what's easily available.

Ross James from RJC rods is a custom rod builder down in Wales (iirc) and he rolls his own blanks. He would probably be a good shout. Other than that, there's Harrison rods as well, but not sure what they have available length/weight wise.

Sk8ter

Reaction score
Would have thought with a skagit head you'd want a bit slower/full action?

Sage blanks at the moment are on about a 4 month waiting list depending on the model. I was told that they're currently not planning to make some blanks/rod ranges till next year because they're so backed up.

Love my Sage Sonic 10ft 7wt, and was tempted to build on a sage blank myself, but I can't justify it. The quality of most Sage corks are well and truly above what's easily available.

Ross James from RJC rods is a custom rod builder down in Wales (iirc) and he rolls his own blanks. He would probably be a good shout. Other than that, there's Harrison rods as well, but not sure what they have available length/weight wise.
Just look at RJC , looks impressive. Quite similar to Meiser Rods who's MKX is stiffer and hence I believe a slightly faster action (have not used one of Meiser's rods but the reviews are impressive)

LukeP

Reaction score
I’ve got a 12’6 #8 Bloke XLeNT that I built not so long ago and although I don’t have a great deal of experience with double handers it’s certainly fast actioned, that said it seems pretty forgiving and recovers well after the cast. I think he does a longer #9 that might fit your needs.. Give him a ring, he was really helpful when I ordered my blank..

cloner

Reaction score
FishingArt - blank rolling and rod building:
http://www.fishingart.eu

13'0 #8/9 and 13'6" #9/10 both in six pieces are awesome :love:

ventus-dh1389-6.jpg

cloner

Reaction score
They look interesting, how are they on price and do they roll the blanks themselves?

They do roll their own blanks. They used to cooperate with CTS. Owner is a good friend of mine, very knowledgeable guy. TBH the two models 13'0 #8/9 and 13'6" #9/10 mentioned above are my design. Price of the built rod with top components (titanium guides, prime cork and ALPS reel seat) with a sack is approx. 520 GBP. A few guys in Scotland use them :giggle:

chriswjx

Reaction score
Hmm might send a query, about just buying a blank... what kind of head weights does the 9/10 cast?

cloner

Reaction score
Hmm might send a query, about just buying a blank... what kind of head weights does the 9/10 cast?

This is a question without the answer as everybody has his/her own preferences. Below is the list of shooting heads I found to be perfect match for both models:

Ventus DH Nano 13'0" #8/9:
- Gealforce Equalizer EMT Multi Tip #7/8 32g
- Airflo RAGE Compact 480gr
- SA Mastery Atlantic Salmon #7/8 30g
- RIO Scandi VeriTip #8 510gr
- RIO Scandi #8/9 520gr
- RIO Skagit Max 525gr
- RIO Skagit iFlight 525gr
- Salmologic Logic Head 31g

Ventus DH Nano 13'6" #9/10:
- Gealforce Equalizer EMT Multi Tip #8/9 36g
- Gealforce Equalizer EEMT Extended Shooting Head Mutli Tip #8/9 45g
- SA Mastery Atlantic Salmon #8/9 34g
- RIO Scandi VeriTip #9 585gr
- RIO Scandi #9/10 580gr
- RIO Skagit Max 575gr
- RIO Skagit Max 600gr
- RIO Skagit iFlight 600gr
- Airflo Skagit Compact G2 600gr
- Salmologic Logic Head 33g

Send them a query and mention Janusz gave you the contact ;)

chriswjx

Reaction score
This is a question without the answer as everybody has his/her own preferences. Below is the list of shooting heads I found to be perfect match for both models:

Ventus DH Nano 13'0" #8/9:
- Gealforce Equalizer EMT Multi Tip #7/8 32g
- Airflo RAGE Compact 480gr
- SA Mastery Atlantic Salmon #7/8 30g
- RIO Scandi VeriTip #8 510gr
- RIO Scandi #8/9 520gr
- RIO Skagit Max 525gr
- RIO Skagit iFlight 525gr
- Salmologic Logic Head 31g

Ventus DH Nano 13'6" #9/10:
- Gealforce Equalizer EMT Multi Tip #8/9 36g
- Gealforce Equalizer EEMT Extended Shooting Head Mutli Tip #8/9 45g
- SA Mastery Atlantic Salmon #8/9 34g
- RIO Scandi VeriTip #9 585gr
- RIO Scandi #9/10 580gr
- RIO Skagit Max 575gr
- RIO Skagit Max 600gr
- RIO Skagit iFlight 600gr
- Airflo Skagit Compact G2 600gr
- Salmologic Logic Head 33g

Send them a query and mention Janusz gave you the contact ;)
Will do 😜

Thanks for the line info. I still like to find out what lines people find they get along with on it as a point of comparison with what lines I've used