Blackwater 2021

Ian Carter

Reaction score
Hi folks, any reports for the Blackwater yet? Im itching to get fishing now that school is finished for summer.

Also, my favourite beat is not available anymore CASTLE BEAT LISMORE. Fort William have lost it, anyone know runs it now?

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I notic
Hi folks, any reports for the Blackwater yet? Im itching to get fishing now that school is finished for summer.

Also, my favourite beat is not available anymore CASTLE BEAT LISMORE. Fort William have lost it, anyone know runs it now?
I noticed that too but no idea who took it on or even why Fortwilliam let it go unless the cost became prohibitive. Personally I prefer Glenmore as my first choice though and so would probably still visit.

It might be worth dropping Paul Whelan a message to ask.

Petekd

Reaction score
Grilse are running this past week or two but not in massive numbers and not hanging about either. It fished really well earlier in the spring then went a bit quiet through May, it should kick on nicely over next week or two. I had a look for an hour this evening, one lost grilse is all but it’s coming into lovely order after the recent rise.

Ian Carter

Reaction score
Im booked for Tuesday on the Ellis stream just upstream from the castle beat. Its €100 this year but I am allowed to split my time over 2 half days. Makes the 2 hour journey bearable when I can split that over the 2 days as well.

Last edited:

GeeBee

Reaction score

It looks like Ballyrafter House is now running it.

Very expensive too - all year it's EUR 120 a day !

So in June & July its basically double what Paul or Jason/Connie would charge you...

Rates have been dropping on the river since foot & mouth, i'm surprised to see them go the other way.

Last edited:

boomdocker

Reaction score
Im booked for Tuesday on the Ellis stream just upstream from the castle beat. Its €100 this year but I am allowed to split my time over 2 half days. Makes the 2 hour journey bearable when I can split that over the 2 days as well.H
How'd it go? Heading down that way tomorrow

iainmortimer

Reaction score
It looks like Ballyrafter House is now running it.

Very expensive too - all year it's EUR 120 a day !

So in June & July its basically double what Paul or Jason/Connie would charge you...

Rates have been dropping on the river since foot & mouth, i'm surprised to see them go the other way.
That’s a lot of money given the fly water is quite short!

boomdocker

Reaction score
Ya, was fishing at Glenda's today. Saw a few fish and got one quick handshake, but that was it.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I fished the fly on 3 parts so I was very happy with it. I’ll hopefully fish it once or twice this year still.
Do you go below the bridge Ian? When I was there the main fly stretch seemed to be from just below the croy to the bridge. I did fish the next pool up from below the weir but from what I could gather that was not very productive. The water below the bridge was quite skinny and slow and I was told better for sea trout than salmon.

Ian Carter

Reaction score
I didnt go below the bridge. Ive attached a pic, yellow line shows fly water and salmon lies, red shows where I have hooked up with fish (in medium to high water). Im told the best spot is the middle yellow line, near the far bank.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-11 at 16.46.44.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-11 at 16.46.44.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 41

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Okay thanks. Where the Cory is
I didnt go below the bridge. Ive attached a pic, yellow line shows fly water and salmon lies, red shows where I have hooked up with fish (in medium to high water). Im told the best spot is the middle yellow line, near the far bank.
Thanks, yes that’s what I was told although apparently the ‘V’ of smooth water just down from the croy where you start fishing the middle line is a good lie but close in and so once one or two people have been through it’s done for some time.

GeeBee

Reaction score

I have had two fish in the middle of the pool just feet above the bridge.

I have fished below the bridge and you are right, it shallows out. I did wonder though if there was depth below the stream entrance, but i wasnt sure where the beat ended.

It is a lovely beat but in my opinion only suitable for two rods, as Iain says, once the upper water is fished through you're done - i once got there late at 9.30am and two rods had fished through already and released three fish.

I fished the bridge pool, had a nice grilse by 11 and then three rods had no fish for the rest of the day...