Black Jay

Fruin

Reaction score
A little Black Jay mixed wing for the fishing box...
20210225_181253.jpg

Andrew B

Reaction score
Cor that’s so cool being a fishing fly n all! Just don’t lose the damn thing in a tree or something 😂
I’m just glad I didn’t get on my traditional wing tirade the other day when you posted the Green Highlander for the Japan comp lol, as you clearly know how these classic flies were really tied back then?
Re the Green Highlander for Japan I totally get it re the modern tying of the wing as that’s kinda the way in Japan.

Wouldn’t you agree though, that traditional built wings and mixed wings using the left fibres for the right and vice versa thus using the materials natural flow, makes for a much nicer fly?

Just outstanding this and one last point, being made for fishing I’m guessing it was tied with far less care and attention which automatically makes it look all the more right imo.

Fruin

Reaction score
Cor that’s so cool being a fishing fly n all! Just don’t lose the damn thing in a tree or something 😂
I’m just glad I didn’t get on my traditional wing tirade the other day when you posted the Green Highlander for the Japan comp lol, as you clearly know how these classic flies were really tied back then?
Re the Green Highlander for Japan I totally get it re the modern tying of the wing as that’s kinda the way in Japan.

Wouldn’t you agree though, that traditional built wings and mixed wings using the left fibres for the right and vice versa thus using the materials natural flow, makes for a much nicer fly?

Just outstanding this and one last point, being made for fishing I’m guessing it was tied with far less care and attention which automatically makes it look all the more right imo.
Right on all counts Andrew. A big difference between a fly for a frame and a fly for fishing. I think it is much easier to get nice lines on a wing tying tips up. However, when you do this on a fishing fly the feathers are always fighting against their natural curve. So, for fishing flies, I prefer them tips down and, yes, with a bit less effort / care.
I'm still learning though as I've only been trying these on and off for a couple of years. I do like a mixed wing though, but not as popular to look at.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Right on all counts Andrew. A big difference between a fly for a frame and a fly for fishing. I think it is much easier to get nice lines on a wing tying tips up. However, when you do this on a fishing fly the feathers are always fighting against their natural curve. So, for fishing flies, I prefer them tips down and, yes, with a bit less effort / care.
I'm still learning though as I've only been trying these on and off for a couple of years. I do like a mixed wing though, but not as popular to look at.
Well you’re a quick learner is all I can say. It’s so cool to know about the heritage and what they were trying to achieve.
Re flies for fishing I’m guessing that those Grub patterns would still be fantastic fish takers esp on waters that have been heavily fished with Snealdas ect.
The whole idea behind Grubs was to present something that looked like it came from nature ( Kelson words) they genuinely thought that salmon were taking flies as food back then.
Still I’d have no hesitation in tying on a grub fly for a days salmon fishing now.