Black Dog

Dave Carne

Reaction score
Tied in-hand to the Stoddart pattern from 1847, 2 1/2 inch hook blued to match the period (japanning came in later) - though it's much the same fly that dates back to the beginning of the 19thC (at least). Fully in-hand.
Dx

Black Dog old.jpg

Dave Carne

Reaction score
Since people are not even bothering looking at my flies on here I won't be posting them anymore.
Dx

Becksbier

Reaction score
Beautifully tied fly, Dave. Just out of curiosity, is that the pattern that was referenced in Henry Williamson's book Salar the Salmon?? Please keep posting your flies, especially the oldies.

Dave Carne

Reaction score
Don't have the book - however this is very much the same fly as the one specified in The Driffield Angler, 1806.
You can see my flies on Facebook - I ever bother posting about 25% of the ones I tie here anyway.
Dx

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Since people are not even bothering looking at my flies on here I won't be posting them anymore.
Dx

Dave

The sad fact is that relatively few folk actively use the forum and less of those are interested in the tying. Just look at TOTM votes, which really don’t budge much from 50 +\- 15, no matter what the theme is. Personally I really enjoy seeing the works of art you post on here.

I don’t often comment on your flies, because I really don’t have anything to add and am certainly not in a position to critique in any way. I’m sure lots of the other Fly Tyers feel the same way. I’m an apprentice painter and decorator, you’re turning out the Sistine Chapel every couple of days...

Keep them coming please.

Dave Carne

Reaction score
Yes, don't mind no comments but up til this morning there'd only been 50 views on this versus Sean's fly that was posted later and had 240+.
Dx

Last edited:

Handel

Reaction score
Dx

Shame we took out the Dislike button Dave, I could have used it on this one. Anyway please don't. Is that 50 views by different people or just 50 views? I have looked at it several times as I do with most of them, it is like having your own private art collection.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Yes, don't mind no comments but up til this morning there'd only been 50 views on this versus Sean's fly that was posted later and had 240+.
Dx

So basically Dave yer flinging _20200408_165422.JPG just because someone else's fly has had more views than your own ??:pound::pound: seriously ?

I've nearly always commented on yer fly's that you've posted on the forum which are stunning, but in all honesty I've never get a single reply back from you? , now keithick his started posting his fly's on the forum which are also stunning and when you comment on them at least has shown a bit of decency and appreciation to reply back to what you say

Last edited:

Andrzej

Reaction score
I very like these natural colors, as usual an impressive piece of work, especially that it is tied in-hand. I hope Dave that you'll change your mind and post your flies here from time to time, I really enjoy watching them. I think fly tying is still very popular, just not many people show their work on the internet and if, probably the fb is more popular nowadays than various forums.

luney

Reaction score
Just found this thread, thought I hadn't seen any of his classics recently. As has been said there are only so many superlatives to describe his flies, sad he's gone but he did like sitting in his Ivory tower looking down 😬😬😂