Black Cart Water

Meister

Reaction score
I've heard of fish being taken in July - talk of 12 and 22lb fish plus a few standard grilse of 5/6lb, but nothing since. Anyone heard anything?

That also includes the Renfrewshire famous "Plumb" which is now operating a pre-booking "only beach casters with 50lbs BS line and size 1 hook" policy. Deck chairs and portable BBQs are optional; but ghetto blasters are a must; especially if you're planning to party on into the wee sma' hours. You'll now have to wait up to 3-years before being allowed to add your empty cans to the pile that can now be seen from Outer Space. Who needs Anthony Gormley adding his fine sculptures to the water when the pile of cans is really a post-modernist statement about waste and urban decay; this is living art!

I've fished the river throughout August and the broonies have been good and mostly wild (I let my boy catch the stockies down the other end :p) but with very few fish showing; although quite a large coloured fish rolled in front of me last night (estimate 8 - 10 lbs). But water levels remain low with no sign of the promised return of the sea tout! There are also very few anglers on the water; maybe all raving it up at the Plumb?

Anyone anything to report?

Last edited:

borderer

Banned
Reaction score
:confused:meister
instead of talking in riddles please tell us first where is the "PLUMB" as if illegall fishing is going on as you imply then mabye RIVERUNNER will be able to stop it....:confused:

salmonaddict

Reaction score
The Plumb is a small pool on the river that has a 5' waterfall above. The fish come through the fast water below, enter the Plumb and hang around for a while before attempting to go over the waterfall. The north bank is a sheer cliff face that continues into the water and its not uncommon to see 6 anglers hanging lumps of lead and bunches of worms over the edge...and they get the fish when they're there.

Meister

Reaction score
:confused:meister
instead of talking in riddles please tell us first where is the "PLUMB" as if illegall fishing is going on as you imply then mabye RIVERUNNER will be able to stop it....:confused:

With apologies if my attempt at tongue-in-cheek local humour flew past you; and no riddles intended. This hot spot has to be seen to be believed - I may even take my life in my own hands and post a picture or two. Salmonaddict hits the nail on the head regarding the location of this spot and general lay out.

In terms of what can be done, I've raised the matter of a fish pass with the local club and there's not much interest. Some members even suggest that this spot means that their fav' spots get left alone; "so leave them to their midden" (if you know what that is... it's where we in some parts of the West take our rubbish)... "and we can fish on in peace and in safety". The last court case on this river - which was widely reported nationally and was fairly recently - resulted in (I think) not proven verdicts being handed down. The anglers (sic.) were apparently (d)angling with "wriggly things" as the police notebooks recorded and fishing for pike! Enough said m'lud!

Other than that and riddles aside, a crackin' wee river that can produce some nice wee fish - and the occasional surprise. Some of the stretches further up are really nice for the fly; but mainly small brown trout. The local club also takes good care of these stretches and there's not too much poaching.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and tight-lines.

Last edited:

HimynameizStu

Reaction score
Im very curious about this "plum" spot i usually fish from the bridge to the junction pool. there is a good pool there perhaps along the same idea that is great fly fishing if you show up and you see fish jumping and eating flys

Attachments

• flypool.jpg
    flypool.jpg
    1,007.4 KB · Views: 137

HimynameizStu

Reaction score
The Plumb is a small pool on the river that has a 5' waterfall above. The fish come through the fast water below, enter the Plumb and hang around for a while before attempting to go over the waterfall. The north bank is a sheer cliff face that continues into the water and its not uncommon to see 6 anglers hanging lumps of lead and bunches of worms over the edge...and they get the fish when they're there.
hello there i wonder if you could help me locate this plumb, i can see a few waterfalls on the river on google earth one up at the boat club and a few way futher downstream to castle sempil. i wonder what one in particular you are talking about thank you

Stuart1108

Reaction score
hello there i wonder if you could help me locate this plumb, i can see a few waterfalls on the river on google earth one up at the boat club and a few way futher downstream to castle sempil. i wonder what one in particular you are talking about thank you
In regards to your map that area also has big pike in it not sure exactly as I've never been to it but its further up river towards johnston and I've heard full of idiots so best to go early morning 4 am before there hangovers ware off

HimynameizStu

Reaction score
In regards to your map that area also has big pike in it not sure exactly as I've never been to it but its further up river towards johnston and I've heard full of idiots so best to go early morning 4 am before there hangovers ware off
Thank you for the information that has got me wanting to go out pike fishing now :) i love the black cart but i cant seem to figure out whats going on under the water, thats great news to know that im not wasting my time down there because the fishing is really hard sometimes.

-Ive resorted to 4lb line as i was getting no bites at all on 10lb(and its casting light lures much further)
-i have been trying copper spinners instead of silver as i hear this works better in dirty water
-I have been ledger fishing with worms but only catching eels
-tried 3 different micetails on patenoster rig today with no success

But it seems no matter how hard i try or how often i go out i cant seem to catch a big fish on the black cart recently its starting to drive me mad as they are jumping out of the water right infront of me :p
only big trout i ever caught here was on a castmaster but i seen one salmon caught on a silver bladed spinner at this spot in the cart

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Himy, you need to go away up from where your at buddy,if your looking to catch mate,a lot of the fish you are at will simply run on through and result In only a few catches or very little. I’d suggest going up to the top of Johnstone or edge of howwood, your bang in the middle there buddy, and the locals will help you if your stuck, give me a bell if you need more info pal.?

Stuart1108

Reaction score
Thank you for the information that has got me wanting to go out pike fishing now :) i love the black cart but i cant seem to figure out whats going on under the water, thats great news to know that im not wasting my time down there because the fishing is really hard sometimes.

-Ive resorted to 4lb line as i was getting no bites at all on 10lb(and its casting light lures much further)
-i have been trying copper spinners instead of silver as i hear this works better in dirty water
-I have been ledger fishing with worms but only catching eels
-tried 3 different micetails on patenoster rig today with no success

But it seems no matter how hard i try or how often i go out i cant seem to catch a big fish on the black cart recently its starting to drive me mad as they are jumping out of the water right infront of me :p
only big trout i ever caught here was on a castmaster but i seen one salmon caught on a silver bladed spinner at this spot in the cart
Go bit further down to duck Island near airport sea trout sit close to that island

HimynameizStu

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the advice! Ive went up that way with the islands but i never thought it was as good as the deeper parts down that way of the previous pictures, as i only really fish that spot thats all that i know :) i have seen a very big salmon caught(with bladed spinner) on the area that i fish so thats why i have stuck there for so long but im 100% interested in trying out these islands again looking at it from google maps it looks great and with this new information i feel a lot more confident about going to try it out again.

There are 2 islands up there they both look like they have nice features. On the white arrow island there looks like there is a nice pool where i have marked.

I have actually been having some success with worms on the bottom :)

Attachments

• islands.jpg
    islands.jpg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 106
  • whiteislandpool.jpg
    whiteislandpool.jpg
    912.5 KB · Views: 107

fachabala

Reaction score
Hi Jimmy the fish ,,seen any of the escaped salmon from the carradale nets yet ?? I only ask as two have now been captured on the Leven ,and we are very close ,tight lines

Greggmcaulay

Reaction score
Looking for some more info on the big pike 👀

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Season tickets go sale TOMORROW boys, between 11 am and 3 pm at ,RODS +REELS ANGLING SHOP in High Street Johnstone, at the front door due to covid. Uptakes of tickets 🎫 will be big this year I’m guessing,so I’m letting you all know now,I personally had ONLY , a couple of fish last season ,due to not being allowed to fish to well into June,and one of the fish I took just happened to be the biggest fish that was to come from the water last year,a nice fish of 16lb,so I’m sure all anglers will be hopefully hoping for a good run this year,I noticed one of the seasoned members on the forum said it’s 4 years since a very good run of fish came,and he recalled that this had happened previously and the fourth year later, another bumper run came again,so here’s hoping lads,as this is the fourth year this year, I’ll certainly be waiting in line tomorrow...New members are £50 ( £20 joining fee) retuning members £30 ,brilliant.

Tight lines boys..........jimmythefish.cart

D600E82F-6975-48CB-9E4B-329F80F63DB1.jpeg

Andygraham

Reaction score
Anyone had any luck so far? Know it's rare but seen a few farmers being caught on leven wondering if they are still kicking about on cart/gryffe , fished the gryffe a good few days and still not seen anything

Stuart1108

Reaction score
Anyone had any luck so far? Know it's rare but seen a few farmers being caught on leven wondering if they are still kicking about on cart/gryffe , fished the gryffe a good few days and still not seen anything
Heard of 1 of the bailiffs there was 1 caught in cart few weeks ago obviously cant say for sure but I trust the guy that gave me the info so I think they still be thair there has been some sea trout off the gryffe by greylin fishers

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Great seeing all the turnout at the river clean up yesterday and how good it was to see every single person get right into the social distancing routine,loads of rubbish lifted,new paths made through all the briars and the council going to come to lift the rubbish bags. The wife dropped off a hot tray of sausage rolls+ I gave the lads a bottle of Johnny walker and plastic cups to heat them up. I too noticed a lot of the wives had got into as well with there litter pickers ,how good was that,👍,great job ladies. The black cart is looking superb for the start of the season and SEPA have done a fantastic job,putting in new walkways,bridges,strimming and putting on the brush cutters and clearing new paths through all them 6ft high briars and thorns. Me and 2 of the sons made a new path too yesterday away up the top end that was virtually impossible to get through. It took us 3 hours and knackered,but it’s going to allow access to a beat that was almost impossible to get to,seen tam lift 3 out it 3 year ago,but he was cut to ribbons,blood all over the shop just fighting to get through it,so now it’s opened up under the new bridge so head on lads,that’s a place I’ll guarantee you ,you’ll get a pull.So to end.... great clean up and FairPlay to all that did turn up and help,bringing extra masks,gel.gloves etc. Can’t wait for the season to start.Could I lift the biggest fish out the river again this year. Not if tams got anything to do with it,he says “ you’ve had your day jimbo ,time to move over and let the BIG DOG IN.👍

Last edited: