Big Sea Trout

Rennie

Reaction score
We've had a thread or two about big Salmon over the years, encounters, tall tales, jaw dropping fish. But rarely if ever do we hear of encounters with Big Sea Trout!, indeed what would we call or class a truly big Sea Trout.
Just maybe when such a fish does come along, in the dark, on a single hander?, maybe the chances of landing it are non too high.
So, was wondering are there a few tales on the forum that deserve to aired, fish seen or hooked that were worthy of inclusion in a Buller style book.
Sadly the Sea Trout always seems to play second fiddle to its bigger? cousin and just maybe a lot of encounters or tales slip under the radar because of the nature of the sport.
Go on then, the lights fading nicely, who wants 1st cast?
Pedro.

Oscar

Reaction score
My fishing pal is a bit of a whizz on the Isle of Man rivers and catches a few good sea trout every autumn.

His biggest was a few years ago at a shade over 14lb as I recall. The Manx record is 15lb so he was close! The same year he coughs fish of 8lb, 6lb and 5lb I think

Quite an achievement when you consider the small size of the rivers over there.

Oscar.

Northwesty

Reaction score
The record sea trout from Loch Hope, caught in the 50's and displayed in the bar at the Altnaharra hotel. Was 17lb 6oz. Caught on a size 10 black pennel i think it said if my memory serves me well.

Attachments

• 2007_0624Image0026.JPG
    2007_0624Image0026.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 259

Night Hawk

Reaction score
The Towy produced some monster sea trout back in the day. I personally know 2 angling friends who have had sea trout into double figures; one with a 13 pounder and the other with an 18 pounder. My personal best is a mere 6 pounds, but what a scrap.

Mick_G

Reaction score
I don’t think my best sea trout would be classed as particularly big but I’ve not heard of many bigger off the Tyne this year…..I just like posting the photo 😂

12lb according to the McLean weigh net 😀

Attachments

• 0F9C8E09-2900-4DFC-BF2A-9AB15D6CD9F5.jpeg
    0F9C8E09-2900-4DFC-BF2A-9AB15D6CD9F5.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 238

marty31

Reaction score
Northumbrian seatrout run big, the aln and coquet fish can be big and i assume the tyne ones are too i have seen a 19lb one on the little river aln and heard of larger ones on the coquet, they are nicknamed "bullies" bulltrout presumably, but are they good fish? No, late run, coloured, heavy with milt/eggs big spotted, white fleshed horrible tasting dross 🤣

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Northumbrian seatrout run big, the aln and coquet fish can be big and i assume the tyne ones are too i have seen a 19lb one on the little river aln and heard of larger ones on the coquet, they are nicknamed "bullies" bulltrout presumably, but are they good fish? No, late run, coloured, heavy with milt/eggs big spotted, white fleshed horrible tasting dross 🤣
Imagine a 19lbs fresh one early June on a single hander at 3am........dream stuff 🚀🚀🚀

SnapT14

Reaction score
There's a geezer that fishes locally that had an 18lbs sea trout at night in July, followed by a 19lbs salmon the following day, followed by another fish estimated at 18lbs on the fly at night........the following night....

2 x 18lb sea trout
1 x 19lb salmon

Not a bad three days.....

River Dyfi ...

My biggest is just shy of 11lbs but I've lost quite a few that were a fair bit bigger.

Rheidol produces a very high average size of fish each year......

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
There's a geezer that fishes locally that had an 18lbs sea trout at night in July, followed by a 19lbs salmon the following day, followed by another fish estimated at 18lbs on the fly at night........the following night....

2 x 18lb sea trout
1 x 19lb salmon

Not a bad three days.....

River Dyfi ...

My biggest is just shy of 11lbs but I've lost quite a few that were a fair bit bigger.

Rheidol produces a very high average size of fish each year......
Sheeesh 👍

Rrrr

Reaction score
Northumbrian seatrout run big, the aln and coquet fish can be big and i assume the tyne ones are too i have seen a 19lb one on the little river aln and heard of larger ones on the coquet, they are nicknamed "bullies" bulltrout presumably, but are they good fish? No, late run, coloured, heavy with milt/eggs big spotted, white fleshed horrible tasting dross
Ive seen some huge ones caught on the coquet and seen plenty of mid doubles from the high banks. Most of its kept quiet and off the internet otherwise you get there in the dark and the pools allready been hammerd or someones fishing it
Also a guy lost one in the dark last night on the beach using a surface lure targeting bass when i was there.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

LouisCha

Reaction score
I've never hooked and lost a giant sea trout but they are around. Last month I spent most of an afternoon watching fish from a high cliff, there were some salmon and bigger (4 - 8lb) sea trout spread throughout the pool. One particular fish lying motionless on the bottom under a fallen tree was so wide it looked like a wels catfish at first glance! Hard to accurately guess size from distance, but I watched it for about an hour and think it must have been 20 - 30lb. A friend saw another 20lb+ sea trout running, so I would guess that there are a handful of fish in that class in the river each year, but extremely rarely (if ever) caught.

Handel

Reaction score
The Towy produced some monster sea trout back in the day. I personally know 2 angling friends who have had sea trout into double figures; one with a 13 pounder and the other with an 18 pounder. My personal best is a mere 6 pounds, but what a scrap.
I know of four double figure sewin off the Towy in the last month.

Loxie

Reaction score
On the Taw system we get some really good sea trout. Since the effective end of estuary netting it seems to me that the upper limit in size is moving upwards. 25 years ago I used to smoke fish for one of the commercial netsmen on the river. The biggest sea trout he ever caught was 14lb, and he caught many thousands. Now there are credible reports of a few rod caught fish in the high teens and possibly low 20's. All such fish are routinely returned and it will be interesting to see where we end up.

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
My personal best was a 15lb fresh run fish taken in the Boat Pool on the A'an back in the 90's. I was convinced I'd hooked my first 20lb plus salmon such was the raw power of the fish. It was killed and smoked as everything was in those days and I have to say it ate superbly. A photograph of the fish was in the fishing album in the lounge at Minmore House Hotel but sadly that place has gone now. All of my party's prize fish were in it, caught over many happy years. It was known as the "Rogue's Gallery"! The A'an has always produced good seatrout, all of ours were caught during daylight hours and although the fish are no longer there in numbers like they were I still managed this 8 pounder a couple of seasons back.
avon5.jpg

Timmins

Reaction score
Only tried sea trout fishing at night for the first time this season miby 8/10 attempts for 0 sea trout and a few 3lb + brown trout one at 5lb. I had about 12/14 first light and dusk but sadly not managed my first one in the dark yet . My beast sea trout was off the tweed in October during the day 11lb auld croc 7/8 years ago . Best one this year 5lb which is a descent fish for the rivers I fish they don’t get huge up here .
A091BBCA-E49C-4D38-90F5-79EA85D65B8D.jpeg
Was hoping to read a few good stories when I seen the thread title !!! Where’s all the tales of sitting waiting for the light fading , the size 14 stoat perfectly cast under the over hanging tree, rod ripped out the hand in the pitch black , sound of the reel screaming , tripping over boulders as you chased the fish , fell in , just as I was stealring the big silver lump out the inky darkness towards the net and ……. ? 🤣🤣🤣 surely some of the experienced guys on here have some story’s to tell.

kinnaber

Reaction score
No individual specimens but did catch 3 for 24lb (7lb,8lb and 9lb) one day on the Tweed whilst salmon fishing. Won the Bill McEwan trophy on Lomond few years back for heaviest fly caught sea trout 6 1/2 lb .

reelit1

Reaction score
We've had a thread or two about big Salmon over the years, encounters, tall tales, jaw dropping fish. But rarely if ever do we hear of encounters with Big Sea Trout!, indeed what would we call or class a truly big Sea Trout.
Just maybe when such a fish does come along, in the dark, on a single hander?, maybe the chances of landing it are non too high.
So, was wondering are there a few tales on the forum that deserve to aired, fish seen or hooked that were worthy of inclusion in a Buller style book.
Sadly the Sea Trout always seems to play second fiddle to its bigger? cousin and just maybe a lot of encounters or tales slip under the radar because of the nature of the sport.
Go on then, the lights fading nicely, who wants 1st cast?
Pedro.
I am wary when talking big sea trout as DNA tests have revealed a lot of these large sea trout on examination to be hybrids between sea trout/ brown trout and salmon. It is still exciting stuff and they can fight like no other, not wanting to detract from the thread but fight wise who has caught a Steelhead in UK waters, I have never fought anything like it before or after and he was only between 4 and 5lbs.

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
Personally, never had huge amounts of luck with Sea Trout, the bigger ones that have eaten my fly have all departed fairly shortly after, including!
One on the Towy one night, just had a 4 1/2/ber on the inty. and Silver Stoat tube and I was fishing a pool just in front of a complete U turn in the river.It ran off so hard and fast it left me stood in the pool playing the fish with the line stretched across the short field and the fish round the other side of the U .My pal thought that was absolutely hilarious!. Wasn't small!
A fish on the Spey at Grantown in the Slates one evening, had a 2lber, then a 4lber then a 6 1/2lber, the 4th fish again on the inty, and Silver Stoats tail tube took so hard and fast it stripped all 35 yds of Cortland blue inty. and just kept on going, most of the time airborne untill it fell off.I guessed it was doubles when I saw it in the fading light.
One on the Tweed in November at Sunderland Hall in the Black Strand on the 15fter, hit the tube so hard it left me swearing and the reel screaming as it danced across the top dragging a wet 2 with it. An experienced Sea Trouter stood watching said that went a good 10lb.
I have access to water on a river that has and does produce the odd real beast of Sea Trout early on, and these fish could often be seen laid up in a certain spot most years if the water was right.The only chance of getting a bait over them would be a spinning rod and a surface popping pug!.I hooked one in the pool below one year on the switch rod just as the light went.I'd seen a fish or two show where they usually do, so for once took off the wee Salmon flee and upped the lure size and switched to 12lb maxima.This thing took me and ran in one, it never stopped or slowed at all, it just furrowed and charged over the top leaving a wake like a torpedo relentlessly as I wound up the drag on the reel and held on for grimm death.At roughly 200yds to a weir, it never stopped and went straight over the weir and broke me with literaly a few yds of backing left on the reel.That fish left me dazed and shaking.
The only one of those fish I ever felt I had a chance with was the Tweed fish on the big rod. The others, I was there for the ride, no more, in short I'd no chance.
Such raw savageness from the take untill game over and on the usual 10fter and Dragonfly reel I never considered I'd a % of a chance.
My own thoughts are there's far more big SeaTrout caught, but as they're usually solitary anglers in the dark, then they're kept quiet, club fish especially tend to be kept quiet.The bigger lumps I feel are lucky to be landed especially in the dark with the tackle used, it's just the state of play and how the game gets played.
Keep em coming folks, entertaining stuff!.
Pedro.

sewinfly

Reaction score
I remember it well.

Arrived at the Towy during the day at some time and fished Cystanog and Palace beats hoping for a fresh fish off the tide.
Several hours later and nothing.Packed in and went to Barley Mount fishing late afternoon and into the dusk as it crept in.

Was thinking of packing in but decided to fish Nantgaredig further down.Got to the pool.
Set up Hardy Gem 10ft 7wt,12Ib Maxima and a shakey blue intermediate line with a size 10 double on.

There was one guy below me fishing,so I got in above him and few casts later and into the V of the river the rod tip was pulled down not hard just like a weight was attached.

Lifted into the rod and thought a fish of about couple of pounds.Not moving much then it did and assuming it was slightly bigger.

Then a tail came out of the river like the size of a shovel !! Jesus Christ I thought.
It made no big runs as such and just powered up and down.
The old guy below me netted it and took the photos, I was bloody shocked and shouting.
At 18 pounds it was released and swam off.
Shaking I went back to the car as couldn't fish anymore,then realised I threw my rod into the bankside when it was landed.
Had to run back across the fields to get it.

Guys fishing further up heard me shouting and wished they'd come down to look as I found out later.

Have never come anywhere near it.

Had this painting done then by John Searl.

Sewinfly.......

Attachments

• IMG-20200806-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200806-WA0001.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 20180130_124422.jpg
    20180130_124422.jpg
    925.9 KB · Views: 197