Big Fish

keirstream

Reaction score
Scunnered as I am and will continue to be in larger spadefuls until I can get a cast again----------at anything with fins, I had a look through some websites tonight.
I came across this recent fish which looks an older fish to me.
That's not what interested me though, it was the spat that has been recorded between a Scandi that scoffed at the stated weight of the fish and the angler who basically told him to away and bile his heid.:lol:
Anyway, nae cheating, give us your estimates on the size (and condition if you want) for a bit of fun.:thumb:

Tayfish.jpg

Last edited:

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
Please overlook the unkempt appearance of the angler or his stupid cap and focus on these facts. The guy holding the salmon was 6'5" height and 228 pounds weight in the photo. He is holding a dead salmon tight to his body and the picture was taken at a distance of about 15 foot by a nice lady using a phone.

That was ten years ago and that is the last King Salmon I killed. It weighed 43 pound 10 ounces. I've killed them all over the size range from 20 to 43 and can pretty well judge a King or any of the other pacific salmon species. In the past ten years I've done a lot of weighing in the net on smaller fish because my scale is limited at 21 pounds...... I have caught larger ones in the years since but left them go unharmed, hoping to get photo evidence again this June :)

I suck at guessing Atlantic Salmon weights because I don't get to handle them. Thought I could remedy that this year but we all know how that worked out.

My guess is that it isn't as heavy as the King in the photo. Look at the beasts head, it's as big as mine and mine is like a pumpkin.

keirstream

Reaction score
My guess is that it isn't as heavy as the King in the photo. Look at the beasts head, it's as big as mine and mine is like a pumpkin.
So, what is it to be?
10lbs or 43lbs 9oz?
Fairly wide envelope you've left yourself.:lol:

Reaction score
I'd guess 25lb. Looks like a winter fish to me on its first spawning run to spawn in the autumn. Thanks for sharing always nice to see a fish. I'm guessing it was caught recently. We all know photos can be deceptive. Well done the lucky angler. Loch Tay I presume.

Timmins

Reaction score
Big early run Tay fish easily 30+ With all the high water this year these big fish got a free run straight into the Loch prob been in the system from late January/ early February. Here’s another two from the same place for comparison as fresh as paint . Ones 14lb and ones 28lb 6EC39C82-AD3B-4562-8C47-3C32CE8A8423.png4E5D248D-2E4D-47F8-B235-4411FBC75F7C.png

Last edited:

ArchieL

Reaction score
27lb at a very rough guess , dont know if the boy is a midget or a big laddie and snow on the hills so again hard to call the time of year based on the condition of the fish. Thanks for confusing the life out me :lol:

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
A good few years ago the lad in the pic caught a springer at best, about 14 lbs . His brother ( the one in the pic with the 28 lber) said “ wow, that must be 20 lb “. I don’t know if their weight estimating skills have improved, but if you apply the 14:20 ratio, the weight of the fish come down from 35 & 28 to 25 and 20lb , which seems about right . Ps, the lads only 5’6-5’7”.

Richardgw

Reaction score
With no known reference points to work on it is very difficult. But my guess is it is about 42 inches which will give a weight somewhere in the 28 to 32 region.

mc andy

Reaction score
I hate these games;). It's either deceptively big? Or deceptively small? As we wouldn't be having the game other wise :D.

Now to pick a weight? First glance it looked 25lb to me so that's what I'll stick with.

SP8

Reaction score
I agree with Richard, without reference points I was going to say about 28. With regard to kings my one and only experience of them was twenty years ago. What I noticed was they appeared a lot heavier built around the head and shoulder area than atlantics. My best on the trip wasn't measured or weighed. The guide said 45 but my mate and I just looked at each other and said 35 at most (guides like to massage clients egos) I'm going to have to dig out my picture of it and compare it to Ards. I was pre digital those days so its in an album god knows where. Wish I could have a go for them again one day.

SP8

ArchieL

Reaction score
To keep the thread going during difficult times what are the peoples thoughts on the fish's time of year of capture ? I see snow in the hills so was thinking spring but condition of fish suggest it has been in a while so i was thinking either a March/April capture (On a cold day) and the fish would have entered the system say early Jan ? On first look i guessed around 25lb then thought like others that it must have been declared bigger if someone was ripping the weight.

uskgrub

Reaction score
the best reference points on pics like this i think are the anglers hands in comparison to the fishes fins and head, so i will go 28lb

Greegs

Reaction score
14th March the fish was caught..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loxie

Reaction score
I saw the picture when it was reported and would have said it was about 10lb out!

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
It was last month from loch Tay. Reported as 35lb
A couple of guys I know who have had more than a few 30s off the loch (weighed off the slab and pictorial proof shown) reckoned the bigger one would have been not far of 30. The slightly smaller one was caught by the same team and i think claimed by them at 27.
Both belters of fish.