Big Day Out

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
After a long very busy spell at work, I finally managed a week's holiday last week. I was in the rare position of doing what I wanted (other half still working !) so decided to make a dash to Scotland to make the most of the good weather and get into the mountains.

Monday (travel day) saw me up Beinn Bhuidhe (Loch Fyne). My lack of walking fitness was soon exposed, I found it very hard going. Many months since my last hill walk. Lovely weather and views though.
20210531_151503.jpg

I then drove up through Glencoe to Roy Bridge. The scenery was superb in the clear evening sunlight, one of the best drives in Scotland I have ever had.

Tuesday saw me catch the 8.15 a.m. train from Tulloch to Corrour. The return train wasn't until 9.20 pm so had lots of time to complete the circuit of 3 munros. This gave me the rare opportunity to sit on the mountain tops and really take in the sights, peace and wilderness feel to the area and just enjoy the lack of any human noise. A hearty venison casserole at Corrour station was much appreciated before the train back followed by a drive to Dalwhinnie.

20210601_135620.jpg
20210601_162548.jpg
20210601_182226.jpg

The plan for Wednesday was to cycle in from Dalwhinnie to Culra and then take in some of the 6 remote munros out there. I doubted I could manage all 6 (a few conversations with others sugested it would be unlikely). The cycle in was fairly straight forward altho
20210602_212119.jpg
20210602_212119.jpg
ugh the last couple of miles is a bit rutted and would be very tricky when wet.

The setting was stunning.

20210602_090949.jpg

The sun was hot but thankfully there was a strong/very strong cool wind when up high. I was on a good day (found my mountain legs by then !) so completed the first ridge of 4 in good time. Due to the perfect conditions, I decided to make the long slog up from the vallery to Ben Alder and complete the circuit of 6 and am so glad that I did. Stunning scenery, splendid isolation (when in the mountains met one runner coming the other way and saw one other person at distance). The cycle out wasn't too bad (about 10 miles), I wouldn't want to have walked it !

Another night in a tent and then a drive back to confort, hot water, food e.t.c.

Hoping for similar weather on my "official" munro trip with my walking group in July !

20210602_165307.jpg
20210602_102821.jpg
20210602_163435.jpg
20210602_105055.jpg

picasso

Reaction score
Nice pictures, part of the fun doing the Munro,s is trying to make the most of what little time you get off to get at them. You seem to have made the most of this trip.

keirstream

Reaction score
Heading off at lunchtime tomorrow to do the same circuit from Dalwhinnie.
Cycling in Friday afternoon, tenting in splendid isolation and early start on Saturday should see us well into the round by mid afternoon.
It might prove a bit of a struggle for me with lack of hill fitness as this is my first day in the hills since last August but, due to having large panniers,
a stash of the Red Death and Uisge Beatha awaits our Saturday night revels back at the tents. I am aiming for 4 but who knows?
The downside is that there is going to be one mighty pissed off wee cocker spaniel watching me pack in the morning and head off without her.:eek:
She is still just too young to take on a day like that, indeed, any one of the hills could screw up her wee joints so, she has plenty puppy time yet before any serious thoughts of hillwalking for her.:)

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
In good weather, Culra looks a fantastic place to wild camp. Once you are up the first steep ascent, the circuit of 4 is fairly easy. It's just then whether you can and/or want to make the long slog from the valley floor up Ben Alder. Once up there, there is a steepish descent before the last munro, otherwise fairly easy.
You will definitely enjoy it out there if you get at least reasonable weather.
The cycling is fairly easy except the last mile or two whichever way you go - rutted path/track off to the left or lake shore with stream crossing, deep gravel e.t.c. Having done both, I would go with the rutted path/track.

keirstream

Reaction score
In good weather, Culra looks a fantastic place to wild camp. Once you are up the first steep ascent, the circuit of 4 is fairly easy. It's just then whether you can and/or want to make the long slog from the valley floor up Ben Alder. Once up there, there is a steepish descent before the last munro, otherwise fairly easy.
You will definitely enjoy it out there if you get at least reasonable weather.
The cycling is fairly easy except the last mile or two whichever way you go - rutted path/track off to the left or lake shore with stream crossing, deep gravel e.t.c. Having done both, I would go with the rutted path/track.
Not good weather unfortunately
Gusts that blew us off our feet on Sunday and major clag curtailed the weekend to 5 Munroes. Having not climbed a hill for nearly 10 months my hill fitness was at a low ebb but the round of 6 was definitely on if it weren't for the weather. On top of that, 1st time on a bike for maybe 20 years found me in the ditch on 4 occasions with the bike on top of me.:D
Report and photos tomorrow sometime.(y)

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you didn't have the great weather that I had, it makes such a difference.

I can well believe that you came off the bike, I cycle several times a week including off road and found the last couple of miles tricky !

Ypres

Reaction score
Great report and photos. I did this particular round of Munros so long ago I was based in Culra bothy. Long since closed due, allegedly, to presence of asbestos. I did them in winter over two days. Going up Lancet Edge had the excitement of hearing a sharp crack and a split appearing right across the snow/ice in front of me and the slope sliding about three feet before settling. I finished up the ridge at a near run.
Seem to remember that in those days we drove an old Land Rover practically to the bothy. Loch Pattack? Apparently there was always the worry that the garrons (ponies for stalking) would eat the wind screen wipers. I’m talking about late 70s!

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Yes, the track goes around the shore of Loch Pattack. A landrover would save you 10 miles of cycling each way !

The ponies are still there by the loch, very solid heavily built animals.

Winter in the Scottish mountains is a different proposition. You need a fair bit of knowledge and experience to do it safely.

Ypres

Reaction score
Yes, the track goes around the shore of Loch Pattack. A landrover would save you 10 miles of cycling each way !

The ponies are still there by the loch, very solid heavily built animals.

Winter in the Scottish mountains is a different proposition. You need a fair bit of knowledge and experience to do it safely.
Glad to know my memory has not gone the same way as my fitness haha. Back in the day I was a very keen winter climber. Grade 3/4 stuff like Observatory Ridge or North East Buttress on the Ben not to mention annual trips to the Alps. Route Major on Mont Blanc anyone? Oh happy days!

picasso

Reaction score
Glad to know my memory has not gone the same way as my fitness haha. Back in the day I was a very keen winter climber. Grade 3/4 stuff like Observatory Ridge or North East Buttress on the Ben not to mention annual trips to the Alps. Route Major on Mont Blanc anyone? Oh happy days!
I think at least a third of my Munro,s where done in winter and a good winter day is worth a dozen in summer. I,m still a keen winter climber was leading grade 5 but missed the whole of last season with the restrictions. Regular visitor to the Alps , Mont Blanc (Goutier Route), Matterhorn (Hornli Ridge ), Eiger ( Mittellegi Ridge) and a few 4,000 metre summits for acclimatization. Conge in February for Ice is always a good week, the joys of being a member of a good active Mountaineering Club.

keirstream

Reaction score
Friday afternoon cycle in, the 1st time on a bike for 20+ years was interesting. With no pannier bags arriving in the post pre outing I was left with no option but bungee a 75 litre rucsac across the pannier which made for a very unstable movement of weight either way.:(
Anyway, having reached the track that covered the last mile or so without incident I began to feel a bit more confident. Twice into the ditch soon dispelled that notion which was a feat I equalled on the return journey with the bike balancing on my napper.:D
4 Munroes on Saturday, and a 5th on Sunday, all over 1000m was a good couple of days for a ring rusty walker like myself, not having been near a hilCulra6.jpgCulra8.jpgl since August my hill fitness was in question but grit, determination, Snickers bars and Jelly Beans drove me on.
Sundays weather was horrendous, Ben Alder had disappeared from the landscape all day but the clag lifted partially off Beinn Bheoll just enough to give us the confidence to attempt the round of the 2 hills. However, after being blown off our feet by howling gusts of wind on the ascent and hearing the howls of lost souls from the direction of the great corrie of Ben Alder made us decide that 1 hill was more than enough as we backtracked off the summit to Culra.
Good to get back on the hills though.(y)(y)

Attachments

• Culra1.jpg
    Culra1.jpg
    869.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Culra9.jpg
    Culra9.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Culra10.jpg
    Culra10.jpg
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Culra12.jpg
    Culra12.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Culra13.jpg
    Culra13.jpg
    803.7 KB · Views: 9
  • CulraOssian.jpg
    CulraOssian.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Culra6.jpg
    Culra6.jpg
    896.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Culra8.jpg
    Culra8.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 10
  • CulraBenAlder1.jpg
    CulraBenAlder1.jpg
    875 KB · Views: 8
  • CulraBenAlder.jpg
    CulraBenAlder.jpg
    850.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Culra3.jpg
    Culra3.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Culra1.jpg
    Culra1.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Culra2.jpg
    Culra2.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 6

Ypres

Reaction score
I think at least a third of my Munro,s where done in winter and a good winter day is worth a dozen in summer. I,m still a keen winter climber was leading grade 5 but missed the whole of last season with the restrictions. Regular visitor to the Alps , Mont Blanc (Goutier Route),
Matterhorn (Hornli Ridge ), Eiger ( Mittellegi Ridge) and a few 4,000 metre
summits for acclimatization. Conge in
February for Ice is always a good week, the joys of being a member of a good active Mountaineering Club.

Some very good routes there. Funny enough the Goutier Route on Mont Blanc was my very first Alpine route. Arrived Chamonix, got drunk, long lie in, went up to Goutier Hut in afternoon/ late evening, got up at some ungodly hour, summited, returned to Chamonix, got drunk. I had literally just left the Paras and was as fit as I had ever been in my life.