Beware Calls to Glasgow Angling Centre!!!

Fruin

Reaction score
A couple of months ago I had a couple of issues that required a few phone calls to the Glasgow Angling Centre. I never really thought about it at the time, but I just checked my mobile bill and because they use a premium number the costs quickly rack up. Approximately 20 minutes of chatting to them over four phone calls has cost me a little over £8.
This is even more annoying as a lot of that time was spent waiting to be transferred and waiting for the right person who was dealing with my issue on teh shop floor. Be warned and ask them to call you back immediately to avoid excessive call charges!

simon grace

Reaction score
And probably kept you on hold longer than they should so they up their percentage from the premium number service provider from which they earn a cut of the profit...

rubberwellie

Reaction score
Shocking!! I've been kept on hold a few times when calling GAC as I would imagine have quite a few forum members. The person who answers the phone is hardly ever able to deal with your enquiry. I've never checked my bill though so didn't realise they used a premium number service provider. Absolutely no need, penny grabbing b*******

I'll remember that the next time I'm looking for a bit of fishing gear.

simon grace

Reaction score
Try this number...01768 864211
Straight through to a person that will deal with your call.
Will do you a deal if you ask.
Order will be with you next day.
No hassle.
Oh..his name.Yes of course,it's John,John Norris.

Disclaimer-I have no connection with this company nor do any of my family or friends nor have I eaten any of their mechanically recovered meat products or GM starch extruded french fries:rolleyes:

Paul White

Reaction score
Exactly the same thing happened to me with another company on this forum, which I flagged up in a post earlier in the year.

These Premium phone numbers are a scam to make money and so I will never use these companies again. They say they warn you on their website and literature but it is in small print and hidden away somewhere.

They offered me a refund on my next purchase, I told them to stick it......in a charity of their choice!:mad:

Paul

kgm

Reaction score
Eminem does not "like" this :mad:

Nae Likey either

Thankfully I stopped using GAC 2 years ago when they refused to look after my under warranty leaky wader problems.

Aer Lingus did similar with us last year. They cancelled the flights from Dublin to Aberdeen, four weeks before for our Dee trip - flights had been booked maybe 3 months prior.

I had to phone them to change the cancelled flight and go instead to Glasgow. Three phone calls totaling €19 to rearrange the flight they cocked up:mad: not to mention the price of the train from Glasgow to Aberdeen. I requested a refund and was politely told where to go:mad:

skyhook

Reaction score
I hope you availed of the 20% APR that GAC offers to their customers !? We must keep these companies afloat with their charges at all costs...:rolleyes:

rs2ford

Reaction score
As Simon says:rolleyes:..call John Norris first and save yourself any hassle. A&M Angling are superb also.
GAC are well stocked but their price match policy pisses me off..why not sell it at a good price to start with instead of top dollar, i am sure with the volumes they order giving a discount would not be a problem.

Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited:

skyhook

Reaction score
A couple of months ago I had a couple of issues that required a few phone calls to the Glasgow Angling Centre. I never really thought about it at the time, but I just checked my mobile bill and because they use a premium number the costs quickly rack up. Approximately 20 minutes of chatting to them over four phone calls has cost me a little over £8.
This is even more annoying as a lot of that time was spent waiting to be transferred and waiting for the right person who was dealing with my issue on teh shop floor. Be warned and ask them to call you back immediately to avoid excessive call charges!

Fruin it would have cheaper to call the USA for your order...;)

coppertoby

Banned
Reaction score
Glasgow angling for me,paul devlin built the shop/chain from nothing and his shop is second to none.,been in norris,s and mchardys,both good shops in there own right and better for all things fly tying.we met paul devlin at kelso show a couple of years back and had a few swallys wae him,couldnt meet a nicer fella.not sure about the premium rate call charges.:rolleyes:

paddymc

Reaction score
Surely he could afford a few swallys without charging me to buy from his shop over the phone ?

bankwheel

Reaction score
Never like GAC, I used to live close but was disappointed, the staff new very little about the products but its up to him to do what he see's fit to run his business, he will rise or fall by his decisions, if you don't like it, then don't shop there.
For me it's John Norris or lately AM angling, great gear and fantastic service!

keirstream

Reaction score
Forums Best Stirrer

McHardys are the best tackle shop.

In keeping with objectives of the other thread running just now, I nominate Compy for the Best Stirrer category.:cool:

bros

Reaction score
Angling Active for me, no premium lines and you actually get speak to someone.
The guys are great to speak to, very helpful. Trying a rod out is no problem either, go down the river close buy and try as many as you want.

I have no connection with them.

DOON ROD

Banned
Reaction score
The guys that work in GAC are a good bunch of lads - I usually buy most of my stuff from Fawcetts though and the service from there is different class!