Best waterproofing agent?

(Smolt)

Reaction score
I've been out in the wets of March and the SST jacket could do with a waterproof top up. What have you guys used with good effect? I have a bottle of revivex at home, it advises to use a specific revivex product to wash the jacket with firstly (it would).
I've been looking into diver daves waterproof spray also, anybody used it? All good on breathable fabrics? Any issues to report?
Thanks in advance.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Granger's performance wash and granger's performance proofer been using it for years and the water just beads off

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I’ll second that, by far the best waterproof agent.Nikwax not impressed with.
Grangers all day long!!

I used nikwax to start with nic and was still like a wet teabag?.. then switched to granger's.. Wouldn't use anything else now does exactly what it says on the bottle ??

(Smolt)

Reaction score
Well thats unanimous! Never heard of Grangers before so cheers for that lads.:thumb:

Jer

Reaction score
Thsnks for the advice lads

Been using nicwax as well and i will look ip Graingers

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
_20190310_195809.JPG

Potbellied Pig

Reaction score
Never tried Grangers, I’ve washed and reproofed several coats with Nikwax and
always thought it to be great.
Did my Simms goretex wading jacket with it
and the rain sat on it in beads.

CORONA

Reaction score
re proof

I have used the Diver Dave water repel and found it great after a couple of spray applications,the rain beaded well after i used it on an old jacket that i hadn`t worn for ages...

Is that what you guys are talking about or am i not on the right track ? :confused:

CORONA

Bothy Cat

Reaction score
Waterproofing

I've tried the spray on stuff applying several coats, also Nickwax wash and reproofing. Maybe they don't suit my jacket which still leaks like a sieve so I'll give the Grangers a try, thanks.

mc andy

Reaction score
I've tried the spray on stuff applying several coats, also Nickwax wash and reproofing. Maybe they don't suit my jacket which still leaks like a sieve so I'll give the Grangers a try, thanks.

Proofing is only as good as the garment your applying it to. If the taped seems are away on your jacket then no product will work. Also washing is almost as important as the waterproofing, as it cleans the membrane to allow the agent to proof and breath.

skyhook

Reaction score
I try to avoid or hold off washing gortex as long as possible. But after a while the outer membreme water logs and stops the breathing ability. I always used nix wax but I don't like the idea of the internals getting coated too. Must try this.

mc andy

Reaction score
I try to avoid or hold off washing gortex as long as possible. But after a while the outer membreme water logs and stops the breathing ability. I always used nix wax but I don't like the idea of the internals getting coated too. Must try this.

Totally agree about holding off washing for the first time.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Proofing is only as good as the garment your applying it to. If the taped seems are away on your jacket then no product will work. Also washing is almost as important as the waterproofing, as it cleans the membrane to allow the agent to proof and breath.
I found that out with a pricey rab jacket made of event rather than goretex, it was useless unless you washed it all the time and then after 7 months the tape started to fall off so took it back and went back to berghaus and goretex as you know where you stand with both.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
Actualy got mine hanging on the door after getting soaked on the fells and think mine could do with a re proof as its starting to soak rather than bead.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

noeyedeer

Reaction score

Have a look at Paramo. It’s what mountain rescue use.

Reason is - doesn’t rely on a membrane.

You need to wash once a year and re proof to maintain beading.

No rustling fabric either - good for stalking etc.

Greegs

Reaction score
Was reading about re waterproofing the past week or so.

What I did notice was that make sure the drawer of the machine is clean & has no washing up powder stuck in it as this has a negative effect on the wash part of your waterproofing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mc andy

Reaction score
Was reading about re waterproofing the past week or so.

What I did notice was that make sure the drawer of the machine is clean & has no washing up powder stuck in it as this has a negative effect on the wash part of your waterproofing.

I'm prefer to do mine in the bath, have knackered seems on a jacket before in a washing machine even on delicate settings. So now prefer the bath.

Cheers andy

Greegs

Reaction score
I'm prefer to do mine in the bath, have knackered seems on a jacket before in a washing machine even on delicate settings. So now prefer the bath.

Cheers andy

Did u still use the wash in the bath?

Never even thought of that.