Best treble hooks for Atlantic Salmon fishing in saltwater?

susie lund

Reaction score
Anyone have a good size 1 treble hook they use for salmon fishing? I have used Owner ST 41, but i have lost more fish than i can catch, and want a better hook.

Rennie

Reaction score
Size 1 terrible!, bloody 'ell, how big are the fish you plan on Angling for!
Poor attempt at humour aside, I use the std. Partridge outpoints, the X1's for tubes etc and the X2's for fly tying.I also like the sadly discontinued X4 Partridge Frodin hook which I love.
A second option is the Guideline Trebles, expensive, but very very good for tubes etc, tadge stronger too!.
Pedro.

susie lund

Reaction score

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
Couldn’t say . I’ve got the ultra point inline 4x trebles on my vision 110’s . Nice , strong and v sharp

yellowbelly

Reaction score
You'll need the 78 for larger fish, and heavier lures, it's a heavier wire hook, a lot stronger, BLN is black coloured, if that's what you want, or BN.

Red Spinner

Reaction score
What you are using I would call a casting jig and I have used them for many sea species but not salmon.

With the hook attached in the photograph a hooked fish will use the body of the lure to lever themselves off the hook. You know this has happened when you loose a fish and the lure come back with a bend in the body
The system used to stop this happening is to extend the distance between the hook and the lure, add 2 extra split rings or (best of all) a 10-12mm piece of very strong stiffish line.
The line I used was 130lb Spectra braid which I stiffened with super glue, with soft line the hook can snag itself on the lure.
The link can be use for both treble and single hooks, single hooks direct all the rod power to a single point which gives better penetration on a hard mouthed fish or the corner of the jaw. I preferred single hooks (Mustad 10829NP-BN) for +10kg fish.

I also use Owner hooks because of their consistantly high quality, I check the hook points regularly and replace any damaged hooks, resharpening the used hooks at home.

If you continue to loose fish comeback as there are other hook systems that are equally effective.

Last edited:

1kofly

Reaction score
Guy who is fishing a lot in best destinations said that the best trebles he used and is from Guideline. And just showed to me what can be done with my Owner (just bend it) and it was not possible to do it with Guideline. I was impressed.