Best time of year to fish?

Mansell

Reaction score
Hi everyone ,as a beginner I was under the impression that Sept Oct where when most salmon come home to spawn and that is traditionally the best time to fish for them although I know a few enter into the river all year round hence Springer's! On my first trip to the Tay the Gillie said that you only get coloured fish in September when I was there so I'm a little confused! Got the impression that they slowly arrive through the year and spawn in October or do Springer's spawn early too? Sorry for such a silly question it's just I live in south east England and travel twice a year to the trossachs so knowing what time I should be there for the best chance would help me loads! Thanks mansell

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
On most rivers, the timing of the main salmon runs has changed over the last few years/decade.

It used to be the case that on many rivers, large numbers of fresh fish entered and ran up the rivers in September and October (and even November).

On most rivers it now seems that the majority of salmon are entering and running up the rivers much earlier (February to July/August) with much fewer fresh fish in September and October. You still get running/movement of coloured fish within rivers up to the end of the season.

Varies from river to river and to some extent year to year but that has been the general trend.

Mansell

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply it's helped loads! Was up in March but caught terrible food poisoning on the way up which lasted about5 days always thought it would of been a good time but that's fishing I suppose.ANYWAY thanks again my friend!

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
I should probably also add that although fish which run into the rivers earlier will colour up when in the river, that doesn't necessarily mean that they will spawn any earlier. So you could catch a fish in August which first ran into the river in March and is therefore very coloured - but still a long way from spawning.

By contrast a fish which enters the river in late October/early November could be silver at that point but spawning within a month.

Opinion varies between anglers about what salmon they are happy to fish for/catch.

Some only want to catch "fresh", silvery salmon (particularly if planning to eat them !), many are happy to catch coloured fish provided they are not too near to spawning.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Hi everyone ,as a beginner I was under the impression that Sept Oct where when most salmon come home to spawn and that is traditionally the best time to fish for them although I know a few enter into the river all year round hence Springer's! On my first trip to the Tay the Gillie said that you only get coloured fish in September when I was there so I'm a little confused! Got the impression that they slowly arrive through the year and spawn in October or do Springer's spawn early too? Sorry for such a silly question it's just I live in south east England and travel twice a year to the trossachs so knowing what time I should be there for the best chance would help me loads! Thanks mansell
I can see the confusion here as many beats or rivers such as the Tweed have not taken into account that Autumn fishing is no longer about catching fresh run fish. Many famous anglers would take parties of rods to fish the upper Tweed in Oct, November but no longer bother as they’re essentially fishing for coloured fish and in some cases spawning fish?
Given Water May, June see decent runs of fish on most rivers now.

Loxie

Reaction score
May and June for me. I think July is probably the most prolific, but mainly grilse and the midges are getting bad. After that its increasingly water dependent catching increasingly stale fish. April can be good in some places but mainly it's thin pickings. October to March not worth the effort for me.

Im planning around 24 days fishing in Scotland in May and June and 6 days in July. I'll fish in Devon from mid February to the end of September as the mood takes me, the weather and water conditions suit and work and family allow, but May is the time I'm really looking forward to and, more often than not, when I'll catch my first fish of the year.

Iva Auberjonois

Banned
Reaction score
April seems to be a good time to fish. try it

Royser89

Reaction score
All depends on the luck you have in a season. Right place right time.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Andrew B

Reaction score
Lost count of the times I’ve clicked on video with some click bait about So many fish in an hour in Sep/Oct and it always turns out to be some high up tributary of a spring river where every fish is coloured up.
Thing is there are some anglers new to the sport who like the OP are confused as to what Autumn fishing used to be?
It’s not their fault that genuine Autumn fishing was before their time but fishing in those areas of sanctuary for spring fish whilst productive, doesn’t really excite me.
Fishpal stats are well worth checking out as the summer months that were once no good are now producing the lions share.