Best thing to keep tay rigged minnow hooks in place ?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Been using tay rigged 110s for a while and always used 3lb mono to tie the hook up which works but is a pain to tie when the lures wet and you have cold hands etc. Ive seen them rigged with wire but was wondering which wire is used for the weak link ?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

noeyedeer

Reaction score
I have this issue too.
Last time (actually on the Tay) my Ghillie used an elastic band as a temporary measure.
This works, but not ideal as it can spring about under casting forces etc.

Which type of knot do you use for a tight link when using mono?
I've struggled to find one that doesn't slacken over time.

Wire sounds like a decent plan, but I'd be concerned if you use too strong a wire (and maybe too many twists to secure) it wouldn't come apart at the crucial moment........

Bucktail

Reaction score
Would think so, I picked up a couple of meters from my local hardware store for pennies.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I have this issue too.
Last time (actually on the Tay) my Ghillie used an elastic band as a temporary measure.
This works, but not ideal as it can spring about under casting forces etc.

Which type of knot do you use for a tight link when using mono?
I've struggled to find one that doesn't slacken over time.

Wire sounds like a decent plan, but I'd be concerned if you use too strong a wire (and maybe too many twists to secure) it wouldn't come apart at the crucial moment........
I just put a load of twists in the knot to the rear eye but it still slips eventualy. I think with the wire you just fold it over rather than twist it at the back loop.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Thin fuse wire also works well.
I thought about that too as ive got some at work but wasnt sure if it would be too heavy and throw the lure off a bit.

C

cgaines10

Small elastic bands, go on in seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
I use those little wire ties you get with freezer bags, just pull the white coating off with tour teeth.

wgMQVov.jpg

Rrrr

Reaction score
Managed to find the perfect thing to rig mine, kanthal resistance wire, almost like fuse wire but slightly stiffer and lighter. Had some lying about and it works a treat.

zebraness

Reaction score
Mbbbanaged to find the perfect thing to rig mine, kanthal resistance wire, almost like fuse wire but slightly stiffer and lighter. Had some lying about and it works a treat.

Gonna try this also as I’m thinking easier on the eyesight + quicker to reset it when the payo has been hoovered by a smolt munching brownie

cheers for the tip
z.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Gonna try this also as I’m thinking easier on the eyesight + quicker to reset it when the payo has been hoovered by a smolt munching brownie

cheers for the tip
z.
It certainly seems easier to rig them with the wire, you can get the link alot tighter than with mono and no fiddling with knots.

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
I don't use anything & find that the rapalas swim well enough & also hook the fish well too...
Given the option I'd rather fish with a flying C.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I don't use anything & find that the rapalas swim well enough & also hook the fish well too...
Given the option I'd rather fish with a flying C.
Ive lost quite a few on rapalas as the fish usualy takes the middle/front hook, as it turns the lure or back hook catches and pulls the hook hold, the tay rig should do away with this as it allows the lure to rotate around the fishes head and dosent allow the leverage. I agree with the flying c though, its rare they come off with them.

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
Ive lost quite a few on rapalas as the fish usualy takes the middle/front hook, as it turns the lure or back hook catches and pulls the hook hold, the tay rig should do away with this as it allows the lure to rotate around the fishes head and dosent allow the leverage. I agree with the flying c though, its rare they come off with them.

I only fish them with 1 treble hook attached to the front hook ring with 1 swivels & 2 split ring onto an size 10 Owner treble hook.
Like I say I don't really fish with Rapalas but when I have with this method all the fish that have took have stuck, probably just jinxed myself now:doh:

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
I only fish them with 1 treble hook attached to the front hook ring with 1 swivels & 2 split ring onto an size 10 Owner treble hook.
Like I say I don't really fish with Rapalas but when I have with this method all the fish that have took have stuck, probably just jinxed myself now:doh:

Just like in the tay rig video "once a fish takes its not getting off" next clip is of a salmon getting off :lol::lol::lol:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Im 1 landed for 5 hooked last season so i need all the help i can get :)

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
I’ve tried copper wire in the past. It worked ok, but the stuff I used fatigued after a while and broke. Recently I’ve used 10lb nylon, tied to the tail eye via not-so-tight overhand knot . It’s enough to hold the hook in place and when a fish takes the line slips out.

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
Just like in the tay rig video "once a fish takes its not getting off" next clip is of a salmon getting off :lol::lol::lol:

I remember that clip, Ghillie stating the fish is stapled with a owner treble & it's coming to the net & it gets off, infact I'm sure 2 in a row get off:lol:

Rennie

Reaction score
I've never spun huge amounts and its been usually with Devons and Flying C's.
It strikes me that you'll never have a 100% great hook hold when the line and hook aren't in a straight line!.Look at Kynoch type of lure's, the lure slides up the line and leaves the hook direct to the line once a fish is hooked!.
With lures like the Vison type or Rapala,your hook and line will never be in a straight line and there will always be the leverage twixt the front of the lure and the hook's mounting point itself, regardless of the arrangement for holding the hook to the lure itself.
Like the method of rigging Waddies,maybe the line could pass through the front eye directly to the hook itself and then be fixed to one of the lures hook mounting points.That way on a fish taking(and hopefully being hooked) the lure, the hook will break free and there'll be no leverage at all generated by the lure and there will be a direct line twixt angler and hook to fish, the best hooking arrangement you could hope for.
Just a thought.Pedro.

flyfifer

Reaction score

All I had the other day was 6lb nylon to rig my payo, so I tied up the rig with 3 grannie knots at the rear work a treat. 10ib fish in the net