Best thing for a sticking ferrule ?

happy days

Reaction score
Ive got a 6 piece rod and one ferrule joint is getting harder to get apart after each trip, I remember as a kid the old sages telling me candle wax is that still the case ?

kimbo

Reaction score
Ive got a 6 piece rod and one ferrule joint is getting harder to get apart after each trip, I remember as a kid the old sages telling me candle wax is that still the case ?
There are a number of threads on this with different products that people use. If you do a search it should come up. There are a number of things sold by the tackle shops. I personally use candle wax, it works for me

christian roulleau

Reaction score
Paraffin / candle on the male part; it is important to clean the female part from time to time to avoid excess thickness.
I tried loon's graffitolin and it works fine

Rennie

Reaction score
Clean the female ferrule out with hot water, detergent and a bottle brush, clean the male section with the same solution, then apply candle wax to the male ferrule.Should be cool as an Arctic day after that!
Pedro.

goosander

Reaction score
Was told by a well known rod builder who is a member on here not to use candle wax. Use a pencil which has a carbon content. Had a Hardy Swift which was stuck and refused to come apart that I had greased the ferrules with.
Bob.

rodbender

Reaction score
Was told by a well known rod builder who is a member on here not to use candle wax. Use a pencil which has a carbon content. Had a Hardy Swift which was stuck and refused to come apart that I had greased the ferrules with.
Bob.
I was told not to use candle wax also probably by the same rod builder who has a vast knowledge of all things carbon :D, I was told on warmer days the wax can melt and you could loose a section.

Rennie

Reaction score
Of all the Rod and Pole sections I've had stuck- and it's plenty!, they've all stuck in the same fashion.Untreated bare carbon on bare carbon, moisture and the application of perhaps a little too much shove and most certainly after a good twist to align the sections.On wet joints at times a vacuum gets generated and one can almost feel the sections drawn together more than you're pushing!.
In these circumstance's heat is generated and if one is very very unlucky that will at times almost glue the sections together, resulting at tears at bed time!.
Keeping the sections clean and with a slight application of wax helps alleviate all this!
Too much wax, or wax thats melted on a hot day will allways come apart under a hot tap!, allways, it's after moisture ingression, friction and a bit too much force the joints can glue solidly and irretreivably stuck!.
Pedro.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Bob.

Hardys are bad for this. I think what happens is that they are not properly circular in section and as you cast (esp with a sinky setup) one of the sections rotates relative to the other thus tightening the joint until it won't budge. I had a Gem do this a few years ago (I don't care about the 'never fails' unjamming solutions it was NOT coming apart) and it became a 3 piece for two months until one day it just slackened and became a 4 piecer again.

HD, forget Simms and their overpriced snake oil potion, just send me £30 and I'll send you a patented Ozzy ' Lubing Stick' which works really well - but remember to clean your male pokey bit and female part well before using.

110-6B.jpg

Don't be deceived, you should be aware that this is not a ripoff, these things have graphite inside them (very nearly like an expensive rod) and not the old fashioned pencil lead.

(in all seriousness a 3b (at least) pencil nub is an easy way round the problem)

Last edited: