Best tasting fish

Loxie

Reaction score
I'm with quite a few on this one. A springer sent off the smoke house with one half hot smoked and the other cold smoke. A grilse hot smoked on the bbq. A seatrout lightly poached in white wine with new spuds and a salad from the garden.

Sea fish, well ling is top of the list for me, then fresh caught cod, straight off the rocks and done batter. Same with fresh caught mackeral hot smoked on the bbq. Pollack is ace too

Had a conger a few winters ago while out codding, it made a great fish pie. Monkfish when I'm feeling generous to myself. lol.
I'd forgotten about ling, a tricky one to fillet and skin but well worth it. Hake are good too but I've never caught one. One summer on the North coast I caught some fabulous fat mackerel. We parked on an island and made a driftwood fire and a makeshift grill from an old lobster pot. I filleted them with a gralloching knife and soaked the fillets in sea water for 20 mins. They were outstanding, but I'm not sure they would have passed health and hygiene regs!!

westie4566

Reaction score
Hi Andy, great to see someone else sing the praises for ling. They are sweet and flaky. I’ve never caught a monkfish on rod and line.
When we were up in Shetland a few years back Jack, the cod went to local care homes etc;. The ling was frozen and into cool boxes then straight in the freezer when I got home. As you say it's sweeter and also 'meatier' than cod.

In a 'normal' season at the coddies I usually get 3/4 ling - ace. The real winter bonus when codding is the occasional lobster!!!!

At the end of the day 99% of what you catch out of the sea, if cooked really. really fresh is sublime.

Jack Holroyd

Reaction score
When we were up in Shetland a few years back Jack, the cod went to local care homes etc;. The ling was frozen and into cool boxes then straight in the freezer when I got home. As you say it's sweeter and also 'meatier' than cod.

In a 'normal' season at the coddies I usually get 3/4 ling - ace. The real winter bonus when codding is the occasional lobster!!!!

At the end of the day 99% of what you catch out of the sea, if cooked really. really fresh is sublime.
Absolutely right. Taste and texture,,,,,,, perfect.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately fish are like ducks in that the ones who taste best are becoming rare.

I come from a hunter gatherer / small farm background and so we ate what we caught or shot. Having many decades and well functioning taste buds to aid in developing opinions regarding taste of fish & game this is what I came up with.

When it comes to food derived from a wild animal I want a species that when cooked can stand on its own in the taste department. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard some recommend wrapping some fish or game with bacon I could hire a smuggler to get me into Scotland in time for your Springer fishing. No offense but if I need bacon or curry sauce or flavored batter to improve the taste of the meat of a fish that fish is safe from my knife .............

I spotted Ling early on in the posts and assume that to be Ling Cod, yeah baby straight up very tasty fish!

Next for the salt water would be the Halibut we catch in the extreme Northern Pacific, sorry but it is a bit better than the Atlantic variety, don't know why but seems better. Another one that needs no supporting cast aside from perhaps a flick of salt and pepper the halibut.

Rockfish is another.

Much to their demise the King Salmon is by far the best of the Pacific species rich in oils and normally a huge fish that will yield many a meal.

The Sockeye here in Alaska may end up like the kings on the mainland where the people can get at them. Very rich and firm no additives needed.

The Pacific Silver Salmon is a close second to the Sockeye. I don't eat trout but would like to get my hands on one of these cold water Burbot that are highly touted as being good as Ling.

I have smoked a lot of salmon mostly sockeye and silvers but only when they were available in surplus. They deserve to be served up as fillets or steaks not brined and smoked unless you must to preserve them.

Same rules apply to meat, if I have to over season it to make it palatable it's best left on the hoof or wing. Wish we had wild boar, they even look tasty :)

keirstream

Reaction score
A big fat hen springer, an early run maiden sea trout, a corrib brownie when the water is cold, a chalk stream perch of a pound to 2lb and a Turbot would be my top 5, not necessarily in that order. A friend of mine who is very familiar with all of the above would say small burn trout, filleted and fried in bacon fat beat all of them. I might take my creel and a 3wt and try a basket of 4 to 8ozers myself this spring.
I seem to remember you arguing with Wee John Carruthers in Gualin Lodge about the superior merits of Ling?
John was apoplectic because he thought it was a rubblsh fish and you weren't listening to him
He responded by cursing and throwing his can of Tennents away.:D

Petekd

Reaction score
In general, haddock or turbot for me, closely followed by beach caught sea trout. Had the most wonderful bit of fresh haddock from the Smugglers chippy on Lizard point a few years back, that was different level and lives long in the memory!

Tyke777

Reaction score
Ling goujons in beer batter, fresh Cod with new garden potatoes and peas, fresh mackerel cooked and eaten on the boat,

Fresh Brown Trout.jpg
wee brownies cooked again on the bank and eaten, there are three wonderful wild brown trout in the pan, kelly kettle on the go for a cuppa after a glass or two of red, pre dinner drinks.

Supper tonight was a small john dory, a beautiful fish, pan fried in butter finished in the oven - magnificent.
Sea Trout better than salmon.
The best fish I have ever tasted - fishing out of Castries St Lucia, caught a mahi-mahi or common dolphinfish, the "cook" took it below and appeared in 10 minutes with a wooden board for everyone - on it a piece of boneless pan fried Mahi mahi, half of lemon, lime and orange and a can of chilled local beer - a meal that will remain in the grey matter for ever and a day.
Whatever food you have two things make it taste far better, good company and if it can be done eaten in the outdoors :cool:

fishingdaft

Reaction score
unfortunately 99.9% of that salmon you ate would be farmed , and most people just eat it and say yeah its great , do a bit of research into farmed fish and I doubt you would eat it again!!
its not a patch on wild salmon, but that's getting almost untouchable
I prefer sweet hill loch trout or sea trout from the sea , coated in seasoned flour and fried in butter in my opinion far superior
But there are many better tasting fish out there Having 20 odd years experience as a chef ive tried a many few most for me are from the sea , flatties like turbot, halibut and even the humble plaice ,
sea bass , John dory, superb
dorado/mahi mahi scores highly with me also
as does fresh grilled mackerel and crushed sea salt , and u can't beat a winter east coast cod rushed home and done in beer batter ,,
delicious 👍
thinking of it two of the best tasting fish i have ever eaten were a big perch around 2.5lb that sadly died took home to cook for the dog and ate half my self beautifull white flesh only complaint was the bones
And top drawer was a roasted conger eel my dad caught out of little Hampton it was 47lb and tasted great with a mornay sauce , thick meaty white flakes 👌
unfortunately 99.9% of that salmon you ate would be farmed , and most people just eat it and say yeah its great , do a bit of research into farmed fish and I doubt you would eat it again!!
its not a patch on wild salmon, but that's getting almost untouchable
I prefer sweet hill loch trout or sea trout from the sea , coated in seasoned flour and fried in butter in my opinion far superior
But there are many better tasting fish out there Having 20 odd years experience as a chef ive tried a many few most for me are from the sea , flatties like turbot, halibut and even the humble plaice ,
sea bass , John dory, superb
dorado/mahi mahi scores highly with me also
as does fresh grilled mackerel and crushed sea salt , and u can't beat a winter east coast cod rushed home and done in beer batter ,,
delicious 👍
thinking of it two of the best tasting fish i have ever eaten were a big perch around 2.5lb that sadly died took home to cook for the dog and ate half my self beautifull white flesh only complaint was the bones
And top drawer was a roasted conger eel my dad caught out of little Hampton it was 47lb and tasted great with a mornay sauce , thick meaty white flakes 👌
Great reading your reply Wormo..some delicious sounding recipes..many thanks

pfeul

Reaction score
Fresh water fish: pike perch (sandre in French), a handful of crispy fried minnow or eels cooked in salted butter

Salt water: saint pierre (don't know the name in English it seems to be John dory) cooked at low temperature, turbot, sole

But my péché mignon from sea is not fish but octopus and squids. Miam

Neil W

Reaction score
Cod and chips by the seaside takes some beating. Sea Trout, wild salmon, raw fresh tuna, and John Dory make up my top 5 with Bass, Sea Bream, snapper being close behind. I like fish 😀

ozzyian

Reaction score
Fresh water fish: pike perch (sandre in French), a handful of crispy fried minnow or eels cooked in salted butter

Salt water: saint pierre (don't know the name in English it seems to be John dory) cooked at low temperature, turbot, sole

But my péché mignon from sea is not fish but octopus and squids. Miam

I think your sandre is zander here and saint peter is indeed john dory.

marty31

Reaction score
There's a few comments about ling! I never rated ling at all! Bit like a big eel! When we used to boat fish off dunstnburough! reeling in a ling was classed as a booby prize! And usually returned! Maybe i (we) just didn't know how to clean/cook it properly!

fishingdaft

Reaction score
Unfortunately fish are like ducks in that the ones who taste best are becoming rare.

I come from a hunter gatherer / small farm background and so we ate what we caught or shot. Having many decades and well functioning taste buds to aid in developing opinions regarding taste of fish & game this is what I came up with.

When it comes to food derived from a wild animal I want a species that when cooked can stand on its own in the taste department. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard some recommend wrapping some fish or game with bacon I could hire a smuggler to get me into Scotland in time for your Springer fishing. No offense but if I need bacon or curry sauce or flavored batter to improve the taste of the meat of a fish that fish is safe from my knife .............

I spotted Ling early on in the posts and assume that to be Ling Cod, yeah baby straight up very tasty fish!

Next for the salt water would be the Halibut we catch in the extreme Northern Pacific, sorry but it is a bit better than the Atlantic variety, don't know why but seems better. Another one that needs no supporting cast aside from perhaps a flick of salt and pepper the halibut.

Rockfish is another.

Much to their demise the King Salmon is by far the best of the Pacific species rich in oils and normally a huge fish that will yield many a meal.

The Sockeye here in Alaska may end up like the kings on the mainland where the people can get at them. Very rich and firm no additives needed.

The Pacific Silver Salmon is a close second to the Sockeye. I don't eat trout but would like to get my hands on one of these cold water Burbot that are highly touted as being good as Ling.

I have smoked a lot of salmon mostly sockeye and silvers but only when they were available in surplus. They deserve to be served up as fillets or steaks not brined and smoked unless you must to preserve them.

Same rules apply to meat, if I have to over season it to make it palatable it's best left on the hoof or wing. Wish we had wild boar, they even look tasty :)
Brilliant reading...many thanks

keirstream

Reaction score
The best fish I have ever tasted - fishing out of Castries St Lucia, caught a mahi-mahi or common dolphinfish, the "cook" took it below and appeared in 10 minutes with a wooden board for everyone - on it a piece of boneless pan fried Mahi mahi, half of lemon, lime and orange and a can of chilled local beer - a meal that will remain in the grey matter for ever and a day.
Whatever food you have two things make it taste far better, good company and if it can be done eaten in the outdoors :cool:
Ahhhh! also known as Dorado. We used to kill a few to be cooked at our favourite restaurants on the Marina side in Costa Rica and Cabo San Lucas.
A very special treat exceeded only in the superlative taste league by Tuna. Tuna steaks, fresh from the sea and fried lightly for a minute or so each side are just overwhelmingly ecstatic to the taste buds.(y) Finer than the finest fillet steaks.
Not as good as Aydock though.:D
B.T.W. that atmospheric photo, so typical of the North of Scotland looks like the head of Loch Na Sealga with Ben Dearg Mor back right and the Fisherfield Forest in the mist left with the shoulder of Beinn a’ Chlaidheimh showing left of picture.
Magnificent.(y)

Last edited:

kimbo

Reaction score
John Dory best tasting fish for me. Don't touch salmon because of all the chemicals in it unless it's s wild one. Catch plenty of Pollack, cod, gurnard etc but second for me is a fresh cod about 8ib, Bass is very overlated in my opinion. Wouldn't touch Monkfish, to me to cut the tail off and throw the rest away doesn't sit well with me

bassfly

Reaction score
I had a nice piece of natural smoked Haddock poached in milk, butter and a bay leaf last night.
My favourite though is Sea Bass pan fried and served with lemon and caper butter made in the pan with a mix of chopped herbs, parsley, tarragon, dill and chervil. Served on a bed of crushed potato mixed with butter and black pepper.
Fresh mackerel straight from the sea onto a bbq takes a lot of beating.