Best tasting fish

fishingdaft

Reaction score
I started fishing when I was 4..I'm now 62 and could count on 1 hand the amount of river or loch fish that I have tried eating. I tried a brown trout years back.and never tried it again..rainbow 1 bit on a fork and it was horrible..was always told sea trout were the best so tried one and enjoyed it..the wife bought a bit of salmon from shop today and I tried it..really enjoyed it..by far best tasting fish I have had......

ozzyian

Reaction score
I started fishing when I was 4..I'm now 62 and could count on 1 hand the amount of river or loch fish that I have tried eating. I tried a brown trout years back.and never tried it again..rainbow 1 bit on a fork and it was horrible..was always told sea trout were the best so tried one and enjoyed it..the wife bought a bit of salmon from shop today and I tried it..really enjoyed it..by far best tasting fish I have had......

The best tasting salmon is from the pool you had a sly cast in when you weren't supposed to.

wormo

Reaction score
unfortunately 99.9% of that salmon you ate would be farmed , and most people just eat it and say yeah its great , do a bit of research into farmed fish and I doubt you would eat it again!!
its not a patch on wild salmon, but that's getting almost untouchable
I prefer sweet hill loch trout or sea trout from the sea , coated in seasoned flour and fried in butter in my opinion far superior
But there are many better tasting fish out there Having 20 odd years experience as a chef ive tried a many few most for me are from the sea , flatties like turbot, halibut and even the humble plaice ,
sea bass , John dory, superb
dorado/mahi mahi scores highly with me also
as does fresh grilled mackerel and crushed sea salt , and u can't beat a winter east coast cod rushed home and done in beer batter ,,
delicious 👍
thinking of it two of the best tasting fish i have ever eaten were a big perch around 2.5lb that sadly died took home to cook for the dog and ate half my self beautifull white flesh only complaint was the bones
And top drawer was a roasted conger eel my dad caught out of little Hampton it was 47lb and tasted great with a mornay sauce , thick meaty white flakes 👌

Loxie

Reaction score
A big fat hen springer, an early run maiden sea trout, a corrib brownie when the water is cold, a chalk stream perch of a pound to 2lb and a Turbot would be my top 5, not necessarily in that order. A friend of mine who is very familiar with all of the above would say small burn trout, filleted and fried in bacon fat beat all of them. I might take my creel and a 3wt and try a basket of 4 to 8ozers myself this spring.

NT8R

Reaction score
Red Snapper, Turbot. Salmon is actually nice curried, although it’s nice as it is also, if not from a cage. Cedar plank bbqd Chinook was unbelievably good.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Anything freshly caught is better than outta a packet.. Salmon and Sea Trout are my favourite. Sea Trout over salmon. It's just not as rich so I don't get as sick of it as quickly.. wild Browns are nice. Far nicer than stocked ones. Which I find muddy. More so than rainbows for whatever reason, which are quite nice as well.

Favourite Sea fish is fresh Mackerel, Coalie Pollock or cod..

Perch are surprisingly nice too. Didn't think much of the rest tbh but watch out for the forked bones on smaller jack pike..

I grew up in the era we cooked what we caught.. kinda shows a bit 😉

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Brill take some beating, ling, fresh cod ,mackerel, and a surprise a golden grey mullet caught from a beach, even flounder, all very edible, a fresh salmon takes some beating though, shame they are off most of our menu,s.

westie4566

Reaction score
I'm with quite a few on this one. A springer sent off the smoke house with one half hot smoked and the other cold smoke. A grilse hot smoked on the bbq. A seatrout lightly poached in white wine with new spuds and a salad from the garden.

Sea fish, well ling is top of the list for me, then fresh caught cod, straight off the rocks and done batter. Same with fresh caught mackeral hot smoked on the bbq. Pollack is ace too

Had a conger a few winters ago while out codding, it made a great fish pie. Monkfish when I'm feeling generous to myself. lol.

Jack Holroyd

Reaction score
As a very keen seafood man , there are only a few fish which leave me cold ; pollock, pouting and wrasse. Top of my list is haddock, followed closely by cod, ling, halibut, hake, sardines, mackerel, dabs ( when I can find them) and whitebait when they come inshore.
unfortunately my favourite is the black bream, which we cannot catch here.
all delicious , but a wee durn brownie fried in butter is a treat.

Jack Holroyd

Reaction score
I'm with quite a few on this one. A springer sent off the smoke house with one half hot smoked and the other cold smoke. A grilse hot smoked on the bbq. A seatrout lightly poached in white wine with new spuds and a salad from the garden.

Sea fish, well ling is top of the list for me, then fresh caught cod, straight off the rocks and done batter. Same with fresh caught mackeral hot smoked on the bbq. Pollack is ace too

Had a conger a few winters ago while out codding, it made a great fish pie. Monkfish when I'm feeling generous to myself. lol.