Best Spinners

D

Deleted by request

I am adding a spinning set up to my arsenal this year. what spinners should l look at buying

Middle Bay

Reaction score
If your fishing the Tay I would suggest Toby Salmo, Vision 110, Flying C and a few Kynoch Killers if you are harling.

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
Now let me think goes away has a rake about in his stock.
FLOATING DEVON a few of those
SINKING DEVONS a few of those.
KYPE LURES a couple of those
Minnex tadpoles a couple of those.

Let me know and I will put a selection together.

Chris

Richardgw

Reaction score
The key questions are where and when are you going fishing as without this information it will not be possible to advise fully. Also are you going to spin in just high water or throughout all river levels. A mepps 3 as mentioned by others is an excellent lure for small spate rivers or bigger rivers in lower water. But it is not best for the big rivers in heavy water.

Each river has its favourite lures and for good reason that they work. So you need to take notice of what is being used in the rivers you are going to fish at same time of year and in same water conditions. For example for early spring on the Tay ABU Salmos, Tobies and Vision 110s are popular whilst for the same time of the year on the Hampshire Avon it is a paternostered wooden devon. Another popular choice for larger rivers when the water has warmed a little into April is the Flying C. I use these in 15 & 20 grams. I find 20 grams heavy enough as for extra depth cast a little bit further upstream and allow a few more seconds for it to sink before kicking it into action.

I have a selection of Wooden Devons, Tobies, Mepps, Flying Cs and Rapalas and will try all in a year depending as mentioned earlier, on time of year, river and water conditions on the day. But like any angler you will develop your favourites

D

Deleted by request

The key questions are where and when are you going fishing as without this information it will not be possible to advise fully. Also are you going to spin in just high water or throughout all river levels. A mepps 3 as mentioned by others is an excellent lure for small spate rivers or bigger rivers in lower water. But it is not best for the big rivers in heavy water.

Each river has its favourite lures and for good reason that they work. So you need to take notice of what is being used in the rivers you are going to fish at same time of year and in same water conditions. For example for early spring on the Tay ABU Salmos, Tobies and Vision 110s are popular whilst for the same time of the year on the Hampshire Avon it is a paternostered wooden devon. Another popular choice for larger rivers when the water has warmed a little into April is the Flying C. I use these in 15 & 20 grams. I find 20 grams heavy enough as for extra depth cast a little bit further upstream and allow a few more seconds for it to sink before kicking it into action.

I have a selection of Wooden Devons, Tobies, Mepps, Flying Cs and Rapalas and will try all in a year depending as mentioned earlier, on time of year, river and water conditions on the day. But like any angler you will develop your favourites
Be fishing the tyne, wear, and ure. U spun 30 years ago catching sea trout with devons

Andrew B

Reaction score
All depends on what type of water you’re fishing and also if the club or beat only allow downstream spinning.
one lure that’s not been mentioned that I had so much success with on the small spate rivers in Wales and Devon was the small rainbow trout Rapala.
man that lure caught me some fish when others were blanking on the worm and the usual flying Cs.
I can think of three times when I followed someone down a pool who caught nothing and immediately caught fish.
only thing about them is the limited range of casting em which is why I recommend them for small rivers.

Never used Devons but I believe that fishing Devons does involve some skill as they’re effectively fished like a fly as opposed to just being cranked in?

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
A wee order of mini Kype lures for a ghillie on the river Tay.
These are fished just like the floating Devon and are way cheaper than your vision 110 or even a rapala and no by b to break off.

Attachments

• IMG_20210127_182255.jpg
    IMG_20210127_182255.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 49

Meldon9

Reaction score
If you want to keep it simple, a size 3 gold mepp will catch in any conditions at any point in the season.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Never had a fish on a gold bladed lure in nearly 50 years!! Silver mepps with blue spots on the other hand are deadly in Northumberland!

Rrrr

Reaction score
Never had a fish on a gold bladed lure in nearly 50 years!! Silver mepps with blue spots on the other hand are deadly in Northumberland!
Other way around for me. Ive had the odd one on the silver ones but most are on gold with red spots.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

marty31

Reaction score
All depends on what type of water you’re fishing and also if the club or beat only allow downstream spinning.
one lure that’s not been mentioned that I had so much success with on the small spate rivers in Wales and Devon was the small rainbow trout Rapala.
man that lure caught me some fish when others were blanking on the worm and the usual flying Cs.
I can think of three times when I followed someone down a pool who caught nothing and immediately caught fish.
only thing about them is the limited range of casting em which is why I recommend them for small rivers.

Never used Devons but I believe that fishing Devons does involve some skill as they’re effectively fished like a fly as opposed to just being cranked in?
I think the guy with the rapp didn't just have a good killer lure! I wouldn't doubt he also was a very good fishermen!!

Andrew B

Reaction score
I think the guy with the rapp didn't just have a good killer lure! I wouldn't doubt he also was a very good fishermen!!
Well as it happens the old guy who owned the beat did tell me for a non local I must of been good at reading the water.
First time it happened I took this guy off the campsite who had all the gear and never caught a thing and I desperately wanted him to catch but you simply can’t Help some folk? He stood next to me and watched an eight pound June sea trout miss the lure and somehow grabbed it again. It’s almost like his negative thoughts transmitted down to his lure lol.