Best months for river teith?

Mansell

Reaction score
Hi new poster here,covid lockdowns permitted hopefully I'm hoping to get up to the trossachs by April/may maybe a day on the Tay or two (depending upon how much the Mrs will allow?!) I'd love to catch my first salmon on the Teith or the earn if not Iv heard this should be a good time of year or should I plan for another month? On TV and books always seem to say September or October but after a day on the Tay in late September the guilly said April may for fresh fish which confused me at first? ANYWAY if someone In that area knows and wouldn't mind letting me know I'd really appreciate it as me and my wife love the area around Callander up to killin and I have family history being related to Rob Roy so catching a Springer From that area would mean so much to me ! ANYWAY thanks again Jim

ArchieL

Reaction score
Hi Mansell

Springers can be caught from opening day (Feb 1st) on the Teith but recently numbers have been well down for the spring fish catches. You could take a few days on the Council stretch in Callander itself which has a few nice pools. Regarding private beats, Managed Estates will have day rod lets on the Cambusmore beats and beat 2 & 3 are worth a shout at this time of year. Lanrick estate will have fishing available around this time but you want to be on the bottom beat as this has the weir pool included in the permit and this always gives up a few springers around this time of year. River Teith fishes best with a bit of water on it as the fish need to get up past the private beats where fishing is unavailable for day lets on Keir & Blairdrummond first before reaching Moray estates water at Doune. Give me a shout if you need any further beat specific info once you choose.

Keirstream is Mr Stato for the river and will keep you right also once he sees the post.

keirstream

Reaction score
Keirstream is Mr Stato for the river and will keep you right also once he sees the post.

Just drying off my anorak as we speak Archie.:D
It really was a strange year on the Teith don't you think? We obviously don't know what was running the river in spring BUT------------------
B.D. bottom beat and Keir fished well for fresh fish all through July, August and early September yet nowhere else on the river seemed to have a fish in it? Forget mid September onwards, all that is in the river are stale river fish.
Your suggestions are spot on but I do wonder, if Mansell is indeed related to Rob Roy, then he should ignore every protocol, forget buying a ticket or gaining permissions, and just go and fish B.D. in April or May regardless of any continuing Covid regulations.. Or Lanrick Weir. Best chance of a springer anywhere on the river. Just laugh in the face of any landowners who take exception to such a famous uninvited descendant of our legendary hero.
Uncle Robbie would be so proud of you Mansell.(y)(y)

Mansell

Reaction score
Hi Mansell

Springers can be caught from opening day (Feb 1st) on the Teith but recently numbers have been well down for the spring fish catches. You could take a few days on the Council stretch in Callander itself which has a few nice pools. Regarding private beats, Managed Estates will have day rod lets on the Cambusmore beats and beat 2 & 3 are worth a shout at this time of year. Lanrick estate will have fishing available around this time but you want to be on the bottom beat as this has the weir pool included in the permit and this always gives up a few springers around this time of year. River Teith fishes best with a bit of water on it as the fish need to get up past the private beats where fishing is unavailable for day lets on Keir & Blairdrummond first before reaching Moray estates water at Doune. Give me a shout if you need any further beat specific info once you choose.

Thank you for the information it's definitely going to be handy and cheers for taking the time to reply I will definitely plan to pop up April may time anyway thanks again jim

Mansell

Reaction score
It really was a strange year on the Teith don't you think? We obviously don't know what was running the river in spring BUT------------------
B.D. bottom beat and Keir fished well for fresh fish all through July, August and early September yet nowhere else on the river seemed to have a fish in it? Forget mid September onwards, all that is in the river are stale river fish.
Your suggestions are spot on but I do wonder, if Mansell is indeed related to Rob Roy, then he should ignore every protocol, forget buying a ticket or gaining permissions, and just go and fish B.D. in April or May regardless of any continuing Covid regulations.. Or Lanrick Weir. Best chance of a springer anywhere on the river. Just laugh in the face of any landowners who take exception to such a famous uninvited descendant of our legendary hero.
Hi mate cheers for your incite it's not easy trying to find the right place to fish in a different country and you have given me really great place to start! Yes it's tempting to fish where I like but will pay my way for now? anyway take care of yourself jim

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Aye jist mention the words, BIG SPEARS '!

ArchieL

Reaction score
Mansell you could also have a day fishing the river Lenny and permits can be taken from tackle shop in callendar , there is a pool next to an old graveyard where maybe some of your old relatives lie ? Wherever you decide to fish on the river Teith or Lenny you will enjoy it as it is one of my favourite rivers set in stunning surroundings at this time of year. My advice would be to take a day on Lanrick bottom beat and fish the weir pool then take a day on Cambusmore beat 2 and fish a pool called the Torrie and then a pool called the Damhead. Remember the river Teith is not good wading so take a stick. PS please do not be tempted to swipe a coo or sheep from a field trying to play out your old relatives way of life ;)