Best modern salmon fishing book recommendations

Gerryatric72

Reaction score
I have a good collection of books including Falkus’s bibles but many when I check were written many years ago, like Richard Waddington’s (just checked 1978.)
I guess the internet gives out a lot of info but as someone who needs to read to learn( read that as Billy no mates) what up to date books can anyone recommend please? I presume the principles are the same but is there any fresh thinking?

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
The thing is what the likes of Falkus wrote all those years ago is still relevant today. Yes they were written in times of plenty and tackle has moved on but Salar hasn't changed (other than numbers) so I dont think you'll find anything new in the latest books that will give you a cutting edge or new approach than what the old boys wrote.

ACW

Reaction score
The thing is what the likes of Falkus wrote all those years ago is still relevant today. Yes they were written in times of plenty and tackle has moved on but Salar hasn't changed (other than numbers) so I dont think you'll find anything new in the latest books that will give you a cutting edge or new approach than what the old boys wrote.
Must agree,also the francis grant book is not an easy read,and i beleive now rather expensive ,whereas the falkus book is very reasonably priced.

Rennie

Reaction score
You start with Falkus and once you've got your initial grip of Salmon Fishing, then you move onto Fancis Grant.
The Grant book is excellent in my eyes!
Pedro

Gerryatric72

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I have both Falkus salmon and sea trout books together with his other books he wrote.and some of his videos. Just wonder what complete novices make of greased line fishing etc?
I understand the Francis T Grant book is heavy going !

Rennie

Reaction score
The reason the Grant book appears such heavy going, is it's a step to two above the Falkus books on a technical level.
As such its not a "how to" book, more of a what do you do when the std. approach has drawn a blank for you, or you are looking for more from your fishing.
Its very much a book for those who are looking to improve their fishing over and above the std. 45 deg. cast, swing, steps approach.
Probably this book will start to make sense to anyone once they've got a grip of what Falkus preach's and are ready to absorb more.
I'd probably agree its not a volume for the rank beginner!
Pedro.

Richardgw

Reaction score
I recommend ‘Successful Sea Trout Angling by Graeme Harris & Moc Morgan’ first published 1989. Yes I know it is about sea trout but the authors have moved on from the Hugh Falkus volumes and what they say for sea trout can give and understanding that can then be applied to salmon. In MHO a modern thinkers classic.

For spinning the enthusiast my want to read ‘The Salmon & Sea Trout Fisher’s Handbook by Hugh Falkus with Malcolm Greenhalgh’ published 1997. Not, in my opinion a book for fly fishing but I found the two chapters on spinning excellent.

leckytech

Reaction score
The reason the Grant book appears such heavy going, is it's a step to two above the Falkus books on a technical level.
As such its not a "how to" book, more of a what do you do when the std. approach has drawn a blank for you, or you are looking for more from your fishing.
Its very much a book for those who are looking to improve their fishing over and above the std. 45 deg. cast, swing, steps approach.
Probably this book will start to make sense to anyone once they've got a grip of what Falkus preach's and are ready to absorb more.
I'd probably agree its not a volume for the rank beginner!
Pedro.
Just bought it for £30, looks like it goes for much more so happy bunny. You can never have enough Salmon books :)