Best jackets

junior

Reaction score
Hi what wading jackets do you like the most a dry all day jacket I have about 8 musto fxp a like and a snowbie prestege a couple guideline jacket reason am asking is a bought a cheap jacket called a froggs tec toad it is made from a polypropylene material AVE not had a chance to use of yet but a tried a wet test with my son and found it quite promising a put it on he poured 2 buckets water over me a was bone dry then took off soaked it with the hose inside and down the sleeves turned it outside in gave it a good shake. Hanged it on the line ten mins it was bone dry it cost £36 and was voted better than brand names in America what's your views

Markymac

Reaction score
The loop torne is a brilliant jacket. Its pricey but it's so hard wearing and waterproof its definitely worth the money. It's the best jacket I have had and I have had a few different wading jackets.

Rennie

Reaction score
Junior, its perfectly possible to get a jacket that will keep you dry from the outside, however that type of jacket won't keep you dry on the inside as it won't be breathable!.You can end up soaked through but it won't be from the heavy rain!.
I'm unsure as to if Polyproylene will give a breathable jacket!, only time will tell you that!
There's been so many threads on jackets before on the forum.Most will roughly give the advice that a Simms jacket will give the best results.Expensive I know, but you do get what you pay for and they are the best out there!
I've had loads of jackets in my time, but the Simms stand head and shoulder above the others.My first G3 jacket by Simms has just died, after 7 years + of sterling service.I'm now on my second and it keeps me bone dry!.
Pedro.

kimbo

Reaction score
I went on to sportspursuit website, bought a Berghaus gortex jacket £75 reduced from £170.
Also bought a Berghaus deluge reduced from £130 to £49.95., both unbelievably waterproof and breathable. Wouldn't bother with all the expensive fishing jackets now. I put a small rucksack on my back so I don't need numerous pockets

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I went on to sportspursuit website, bought a Berghaus gortex jacket £75 reduced from £170.
Also bought a Berghaus deluge reduced from £130 to £49.95., both unbelievably waterproof and breathable. Wouldn't bother with all the expensive fishing jackets now. I put a small rucksack on my back so I don't need numerous pockets
This is just what I wanted to hear. I’ve only been salmon fishing for 3 seasons including this one and had a cheaper wading jacket which let me down in heavy rain so saved up for a Simms it was £500 I got it for £400 and it’s great but need another for my son who is still growing he’s over 6ft at 14 years old already. And was reluctant to pay another £400 anyway even if he didn’t out grow it. I’m off to look at berghause now. Cheers

HOWKEMOOT

Reaction score
Hi what wading jackets do you like the most a dry all day jacket I have about 8 musto fxp a like and a snowbie prestege a couple guideline jacket reason am asking is a bought a cheap jacket called a froggs tec toad it is made from a polypropylene material AVE not had a chance to use of yet but a tried a wet test with my son and found it quite promising a put it on he poured 2 buckets water over me a was bone dry then took off soaked it with the hose inside and down the sleeves turned it outside in gave it a good shake. Hanged it on the line ten mins it was bone dry it cost £36 and was voted better than brand names in America what's your views
Read the other threads. Get a SIMMS, over the piece it will be more cost effective than several walking jackets that do not have the anti abrasion properties of a SIMMS, the pockets, the fit for wading, the added elbow protection, ach just do it.

M

Tangled

Reaction score
I bought an £20 karimor jacket from sports direct as an emergency purchase, regarding it as a disposable item and I've been really impressed with it; used it for three years and still use it now for knocking about in. I only stopped using it to fish in as I needed a wading jacket length to stop getting the pockets wet!

I now have a £50 Airflo jacket that is absolutely waterproof and breathable - used it in Russia where it rained all day, everyday for a week.

It has a lot of good reviews, they're still available on eBay.

Airflo Defender Waterproof Wading Jacket | eBay

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Junior,

Wading jackets are a hardy perennial for debate on the Forum. if in lockdown you've got some spare time, have a look at the saga of the great Jacket Hunt on Just One Week:

Chapter 1 - specification and contenders

Chapter 2 - the challenges of buying online and the Simms G4

Chapter 3 - Simms G4 in use and how I wound up with the Patagonia SST

Review of the Vision Keeper and Vector (following the first part about the weather)

The bottom line of all my research, testing and shopping can be summarised as:

- Non-breathable jackets are a deception at any price.
- If you're working to a tight budget and only fish April-October for 10-15 days annually, the Vision Keeper at around £80 is hard to beat.
- With a bit more money the Vector offers a jacket that is bomb and waterproof
- The Airflo and Snowbee Prestige offer you more specification and a bit more warmth at around £120-140
- For cold weather the Greys jacket is a good option, but it's too warm for summer and autumn when the sun's shining.
- If you fish for more than 20 days each year in all weathers then it's worth investing in a really good jacket. By and large you get what you pay for. If I was paying full price I would not have gone for the Patagonia, which is now showing wear inside that before too long will impact the membrane.

junior

Reaction score
Hi a would definitely try the froggs togs teck toad jacket even as a spare a got mine for under£40 on Amazon it's been put against Simms orvis and another couple brand names in America and came top above them all for under £40 it's worth looking into honestly go check the reviews