Best gig of my life (so far)

John Keane

Reaction score
Went to see Paul McCartney back home in Liverpool at the Echo Arena last night. Didn’t really know what to expect as I suspected that he had gone a bit up his own ar$e in recent years.

Couldn’t have been more wrong! The guy, at 76, did 3 hours on stage without a break belting out 40 songs from Beatles, Wings, solo material, new material and even did the song the Quarrymen did as their first ever demo disc.

Kicked off with A Hard Days Night and finished with Hey Jude. Encored with a medley of Sgt Pepper/Helier Skelter. High spot was the pyrotechnics on Live and Let Die, simply spectacular! I grew up with The Beatles in my teenage years and to see Macca rocking out in his hometown was something else.

Fully realise that he isn’t everyone’s cup of Earl Grey but the title of the thread gives the option for anyone to post about the best gig they’ve ever been to. I’ve been to gigs by Dylan, The Eagles, Springsteen but this one just topped the lot!

Last edited:

Neil W

Reaction score
So many to choose from. Muse at Wembley we’re great, Queen at knebworth too but plant and page at the Birmingham NEC were the best

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
I respect the music McCartney and the Beatles did, probably the biggest band ever but my thing is metal, the heavier the better. Seen most of the biggest metal/rock groups over the years, some several times. Skid Row, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Megadeth, Slayer Testement, Sepletura, Paradise Lost, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Brutal Truth, Wolfspain, Suicidal Tendencies, Nuclear Assualt, Acid Reign, White Lion, Thunder, Ugly Kid Joe, Xentrix, It Bites... The list goes on but my most favorite gig was Metallica, iv seen them a few times but May 1990 just at the end of the World Justice tour was the most brutal, mental gig Iv ever been to. Got a ticket for the snake pit, only 150 out of a capacity of over 18,000. Wow what a night.....

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Not heard of many of them, I have fairly catholic taste in music and I like some heavier stuff without being a serious metal-head. Stuff like Deep Purple, Whitesnake, LED Zep, Aerosmith, Guns n Roses, Foo Fighters, etc.

I think that taste in music has to be about the most diverse topic and would never rubbish anyone else’s choices.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
I respect the music McCartney and the Beatles did, probably the biggest band ever but my thing is metal, the heavier the better. Seen most of the biggest metal/rock groups over the years, some several times. Skid Row, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Megadeth, Slayer Testement, Sepletura, Paradise Lost, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Brutal Truth, Wolfspain, Suicidal Tendencies, Nuclear Assualt, Acid Reign, White Lion, Thunder, Ugly Kid Joe, Xentrix, It Bites... The list goes on but my most favorite gig was Metallica, iv seen them a few times but May 1990 just at the end of the World Justice tour was the most brutal, mental gig Iv ever been to. Got a ticket for the snake pit, only 150 out of a capacity of over 18,000. Wow what a night.....

Can you still hear ?? :)

luney

Reaction score
Floyd

Saw Pink Floyd at Main Rd 1988 blew me away. Seen loads of gigs over a 30 year period, the Jam at the Apollo Manchester as a school kid my parent thought I'd stayed at my mates house on a school night. Stanglers Brixton Academy 1990? Eric Clapton big run at the RAH London class. The Roses with my son's Leeds 2t years since I last saw them great but surreal. Kasabian stand out too.
Jesus how long you got!!
Glad you enjoyed Mecca he stood on the should of a giant
RIP John remember it like yesterday

Last edited:

Heero

Reaction score
Sounds nice, John. Nostalgic which I thinks adds to the enjoyment.

In the same theme of nostalgia, my favorite show was the one I posted here:

https://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/the-lounge/3716-macds-juke-box-116.html#post1088937

Similar theme in that the Pumpkins are my favorite band and we’re my favorite band growing up in the 90s. They played 3 hours that show — all their hits and plenty of other greats. Really tight performance by all and a great set.

100s of shows seen in my day, but the best a performance of 20-30 year old songs by guys in their 50s. Haha.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21259

Saw the Chemical Brothers 5 times. Best one was Winter Gardens at Blackpool. Saw Orbital 3 times, absolutely fantastic. Watched the Orb and they were dreadful. Underworld were excellent as were the Levellers if not a bit too grungy. Watched Leftfield in Liverpool and they were mind blowing. Went and watched the Fall at a really tiny club in Preston and they were decent enough. Recently watched Dr Feelgood in Wigan and surprisingly they were excellent l. They had a warm up band 3 kids from Liverpool called Shamona. I think or at least I hope these 3 lads will make it really big.

yellabelly

Reaction score
Really going to give my age away here, but saw the Beatles at The Embassy Theatre, Peterborough, in 1963. They were second billing to Frank Ifield but absolutely stole the show.
Also during the 1960's saw Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochrane and Douane Eddy who was second billing to Bobby Darin. Can't remember where they each performed but I know they were either Leicester or Croyden.
Also saw some big name Blues singers, including Leadbelly, Sonny Terry and Brownie Maghee plus Big Bill Broonzy, Champion Jack Dupree and a much lesser known white folk/blues artist Tony Joe White. I'm surprised he did'nt become more well known as he was terrific.
Still got their LP's on vynil and keep meaning to transfer them to digital so I can kisten to them in the car. Never quite get round to doing it.

Not much bothered now about going to live shows but really would like to see Rod Stewart perform.

Last edited:

Safranfoer

Reaction score
As a gig experience, LCD Soundsystem in a tiny underground carpark in Manchester a couple of years ago. Properly euphoric, easily the best in terms of atmosphere and energy.

Seeing Prince three times though - I'm glad I did that. And Fleetwood Mac with the Rumours-era line-up.

carrowmore

Reaction score
Saw the Chemical Brothers 5 times. Best one was Winter Gardens at Blackpool. Saw Orbital 3 times, absolutely fantastic. Watched the Orb and they were dreadful. Underworld were excellent as were the Levellers if not a bit too grungy. Watched Leftfield in Liverpool and they were mind blowing. Went and watched the Fall at a really tiny club in Preston and they were decent enough. Recently watched Dr Feelgood in Wigan and surprisingly they were excellent l. They had a warm up band 3 kids from Liverpool called Shamona. I think or at least I hope these 3 lads will make it really big.

I was at that same Feelgood gig , the band were stood next to us in the pub pre-gig and must have downed 5 or 6 pints before playing !

AlanT

Reaction score
I go to gigs often, mostly with either my daughter or son as we share similar musical tastes, ones that I can remember;

Coldplay
Mumford and Sons × 2
Paolo Nutini
The Kooks
The Skids & Big Country x 2
The Alarm x 2
Stiff Little Fingers
Manic Street Preachers x 4(5?)
Status Quo x 3
Passenger x 2
Amy McDonald
Steve Earle

I couldnt pick a favourite as most were excellent, all in different ways.
Quality: Coldplay
Effort: Manics
Sheer indulgence: Skids and BC
Atmosphere: Mumford
Talent: Passenger
Nostalga: The Alarm
Switch your brain off and enjoy: Quo
Canny keep the smile off your face: Paolo
Audience connection: The Kooks
Surprising outsider: REO Speedwagon (supported Quo)
Emotional: Quo (very soon after the death of Rick Parfitt, wasn't the same)

Coming up:
Richard Ashcroft in March
Proclaimers in Melrose June

Wish List:
Bruce Springsteen (who I have missed twice due to coinciding with my holidays)

salarchaser

Reaction score
Not been to many gigs for some time. Have quite an eclectic taste in music and have enjoyed different gigs for different reasons. My Mrs is more a music buff than me so have tagged along with her quite a few times.
From my choices, the Hell Freezes over tour by the Eagles in the old Wembley probably tops it. Was a bit odd as we were about the youngest there as they'd split up for 14 years. Used to watch a lot of established artists in smaller venues which were good. Saw Jethro Tull in Bristol Hippodrome a few times when we lived down there. Opposite to the eagles, biggest spread of ages imaginable.
As for talent, Glen Campbell was technically superb. Good rapport with the crowd as well.
Phil Collins on his first solo tour was enjoyable though probably a bit overproduced (if a live gig can be) for me.

Some of the best fun has been small local bands in pub cellars even if they were here today, gone tomorrow.

As for hands on encounters, the Bavarian Stompers take some beating and they've been going for ever. Always a good excuse for drinking steins and dancing on the tables.

AlanT

Reaction score
Very true that small pub bands can be superb. The best I ever saw was a young band (18 / 19 year olds) in the Kings Arms in Kirkby Lonsdale.
They were an AC/DC tribute band but were technically brilliant and had the right 'attitude' for AC/DC, the best pub band I've ever seen (and I play in a pub band, but we're just a group of misfits who get together now and again).

John Keane

Reaction score
Two best gigs, prior to McCartney were The Eagles in Denver in 2010 and Springsteen at Bramall Lane, Sheffield. Can’t remember the year but it was the Tunnel of Love tour.

D

Deleted member 21259

I was at that same Feelgood gig , the band were stood next to us in the pub pre-gig and must have downed 5 or 6 pints before playing !

They seemed really nice lads. My brother bought a CD from them and they seemed really decent humble kids. I have to say that the other warm up band seemed a bit ropey. At the bar I asked for single malt and they only had Bells. A girl behind the bar went into the stock room and found a bottle of Haig whisky. My brother and I completely smashed it in, between us. I had a really good night. My brother asked me the week before last to go to the same place and watch a Metallica tribute band. I had to make a really flimsy excuse which he saw straight through. Metallica is a bit hardcore, at least for me.

Isisalar

Reaction score
Thanks for posting , new to me but I love that mix of soul/jazz/blues , and what a great guitarist !

Which guitarist? They're both great.
Derek Trucks was in the Allman brothers and later was Eric Clapton's guitarist so I'm told.
Check out the Revelator album, it's all on YouTube, every track a winner.

Ypres

Reaction score
Best 'gig' I was ever at was the Bath Blues Festival in 1969. Nice, Colosseum, Chicken Shack, Ten Years After, Led Zeppelin etc. Brilliant. Met Stan Webb of Chicken Shack at a gig in Perth a couple of years ago. Told him I had last seen him play at Bath in '69 and he replied " Well I haven't made much ----ing money out of you then!".
Len

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Last edited:

doubletaper

Reaction score
Stuck in the Seventies!

We used to go to the Limelight in Crewe where there were some excellent tribute bands playing. Jimi Hendrix Led Zepp Bon Jovi T Rex Roxy Music Yes Etc etc Seen Budgie play there but I think it was just the lead singer who was out of the original band, a very underestimated group in my opinion. Yes at wembley in 78 blew me away when Anderson Howe Wakeman White & Squire were at the helm, WHAT a line up ( for me anyway ) Seen Roxy & Mott The Hoople a few times & may go & watch mott at the academy this May in Manchester.....