Best gear set up for Grayling fishing?

Mickyo

Reaction score
Thought I would bump this again after I posted it on an older thread.:)
Hi, I fancy trying my hand a fishing or grayling over the next few months. What is the best gear for this? also what size are the hooks that you use for you flies?
I have some light gear a Shakespeare 7'6" trion #3/4 fast action rod and a Flueger matching reel. Will these be ok. If not what is the best size rod/reel/line combination.

Thanks

Mick

ibm59

Reaction score
Thought I would bump this again after I posted it on an older thread.:)
Hi, I fancy trying my hand a fishing or grayling over the next few months. What is the best gear for this? also what size are the hooks that you use for you flies?
I have some light gear a Shakespeare 7'6" trion #3/4 fast action rod and a Flueger matching reel. Will these be ok. If not what is the best size rod/reel/line combination.

Thanks

Mick

Very much depends on the size of your river and intended method , M.

Mickyo

Reaction score
Very much depends on the size of your river and intended method , M.

That is just the point I don't really know.I presume Fly. Are there other methods for grayling? One of the rivers I'll be visiting mostly due to its proximity to me is the Wear. I Know that its a long river but its not massively wide. Just asking as a generalisation with regards to the type of gear needed. Its to give me something to look forward to do over the winter months:)

Thanks

Mick

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
Grayling

Like all branches of fishing you can make it as dear as you want or cheap as you want but your first priority is finding out what method you want to use and more importantly is it allowed on the stretch you want to fish,
You can fly fish for them buttttt dry fly nymph or czechs. you can fish with a 9ft 5 weight or 9.5ft 4 or 5 weight rod and get away with all methods although a longer rod is preferred for the czech nymphs.
You can buy a trotting rod and centre pin reel or a close face reel some floats weights hooks and a tub of brandlings or maggots.

I was out today for the salmon and spent all morning to no avail but the rise that came on n the afternoon was too great for me so out with the trout rod and landed my first few grayling of the year so happy days.

As I said check the regulations where you want to fish then decide how you want to do it and get tooled up,

RUSH

Reaction score
Trotting 12/13 ft match rod chubber floats
Bugging 10/11 ft 3/4 weight fly rod French leader or tapered shock leader some braided indicators then your cast an assortment of tungsten bead bugs good to go,though at the end of the last Grayling season I was using 30ft of 30lb braid to a braided indicator then my cast you feel every bump with the braid

ibm59

Reaction score
Some reading for you.

When the tapping stops … - Czech Nymphs Fly Fishing

I seldom fish in the depths of winter nowadays , but this set up worked very well when I did.
You'll need to find an alternative braid as the Fox stuff is no longer available. Or so I've been told.

Rod I use is a 10' #3 Marryat Tactical.

C

cgaines10

What river will you be fishing?

I generally use a 9ft #5 for general nymphing/dry fly & a 10ft #4 for high stick nymphing. There's plenty of rods it just depends on your budget so that's upto your to decide :D

Most of my fishing will be done using a 3 fly rig on the 10ft rod, with the heaviest nymph on the point. Searching the water till I locate them.

If it's a nice day and a rise comes on then I'll use the dry for a little bit, usually very small flies. The griffiths gnat is a good all rounder.

Mickyo

Reaction score
What river will you be fishing?

I generally use a 9ft #5 for general nymphing/dry fly & a 10ft #4 for high stick nymphing. There's plenty of rods it just depends on your budget so that's upto your to decide :D

Most of my fishing will be done using a 3 fly rig on the 10ft rod, with the heaviest nymph on the point. Searching the water till I locate them.

If it's a nice day and a rise comes on then I'll use the dry for a little bit, usually very small flies. The griffiths gnat is a good all rounder.
As it is the closest to me the "Wear" but others such as the Coquet and the Tyne when time and weather allows.
If I do get out this year it will be a 1st for Grayling, hence my posts here. I mean lets face it you can get some cracking weather during the winter months so why waste it sitting in the house when you can be out and about fishing:D.
Ive got various size rods in my collections going back donkeys years Mainly cheap and cheerful Shakespears but they have served me well so i'm not complaining. My son used to tie flies years ago and was very much into nymph and buzzer fishing you know like CDC buzzers,emergers and I must admit they are good and I've loads of them so fly wise I think I maybe ok;)
Cheers for your input and info. it is very much appreciated:).

Later

Mick

C

cgaines10

As it is the closest to me the "Wear" but others such as the Coquet and the Tyne when time and weather allows.
If I do get out this year it will be a 1st for Grayling, hence my posts here. I mean lets face it you can get some cracking weather during the winter months so why waste it sitting in the house when you can be out and about fishing:D.
Ive got various size rods in my collections going back donkeys years Mainly cheap and cheerful Shakespears but they have served me well so i'm not complaining. My son used to tie flies years ago and was very much into nymph and buzzer fishing you know like CDC buzzers,emergers and I must admit they are good and I've loads of them so fly wise I think I maybe ok;)
Cheers for your input and info. it is very much appreciated:).

Later

Mick

Not a problem at all. :)

I love to keep my fishing going and bugging for Grayling can be great sport!

I fish the Wear myself for Brownies and Grayling. There's plenty of Grayling around, if you want a list of good flies to use just let me know.

You can't knock Shakespeare rods, not the flashiest but do the job.

Mickyo

Reaction score
Not a problem at all. :)

I love to keep my fishing going and bugging for Grayling can be great sport!

I fish the Wear myself for Brownies and Grayling. There's plenty of Grayling around, if you want a list of good flies to use just let me know.

You can't knock Shakespeare rods, not the flashiest but do the job.
would be great if you could let me know a few different flies that you use. As I say my son used to tie this own so I've loads and he loved fishing with nymphs. Floating, sinking, in all colours and sizes. So I've probably got something in my box already.

Later

Mick

Dryfly

Reaction score
Totally dependent on river and conditions. I fish for grayling at least once a week from June to Dec (I'm a few moments from a grayling while sat at my desk) and use different approaches almost every time. Anything from 6ft 2# to a 10 ft 5#.

Flies as much a mix, but I massively prefer a dry fly over bugs and nymphs.

A great pleasure over salmon fishing is that you're almost never going to blank.:)

probably not a terribly helpful post!

Mickyo

Reaction score
Totally dependent on river and conditions. I fish for grayling at least once a week from June to Dec (I'm a few moments from a grayling while sat at my desk) and use different approaches almost every time. Anything from 6ft 2# to a 10 ft 5#.

Flies as much a mix, but I massively prefer a dry fly over bugs and nymphs.

A great pleasure over salmon fishing is that you're almost never going to blank.:)

probably not a terribly helpful post!
Of course it is! Any info is good. Ive got to admit thought I find fishing with dry fly Very hard only because i'm afraid i'm a bit like Mr Magoo just now I can cast the fly but after that well:eek:. So its feel and touch for me so I'll probably go wet fly and nymph.

(I'm a few moments from a grayling while sat at my desk)God you are so lucky nearest I am is about a 30 min drive.

Later

Mick

ibm59

Reaction score
A small , 18-22 , Griffiths Gnat / Sparkle Gnat fished dry can be deadly for grayling.
As can a small F-Fly.

This is the most durable way to dress the gnat.
Don't over do the hackle , and it's worthwhile having both trimmed and untrimmed dressings in your box.
Incidently , this pattern can also be absolutely deadly for fussy feeding trout

Sparkle Gnat Step by Step

As for reading I can recommend

Grayling Flies by Steve Skuce. Printed last year and has a good selection of modern and traditional patterns

Fly fishing for Grayling by John Roberts. A classic.

Mickyo

Reaction score
A small , 18-22 , Griffiths Gnat / Sparkle Gnat fished dry can be deadly for grayling.
As can a small F-Fly.

This is the most durable way to dress the gnat.
Don't over do the hackle , and it's worthwhile having both trimmed and untrimmed dressings in your box.
Incidently , this pattern can also be absolutely deadly for fussy feeding trout

Sparkle Gnat Step by Step

As for reading I can recommend

Grayling Flies by Steve Skuce. Printed last year and has a good selection of modern and traditional patterns

Fly fishing for Grayling by John Roberts. A classic.

Thanks for the info ibm59. As for the size of the flies I think I will leave making them up to my son:). All the flies he has tied are always minute and I'm sure he will have some in his collection that will match or be very close to the flies mentioned. I actually borrowed all of his flies tying gear with the intention of trying to knock a few flies up, but trying to tie 18-22 is I think, being a bit ambitious for a complete beginner;)
My son has just today sent me a couple of books about fly tying and also one book which has a chapter on grayling fishing by a Dr R.B.Broughton so more reading:)

Later

Mick

ibm59

Reaction score
They're pretty fish.
Enjoy.:)

P7150642-6.jpg

greenhut

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Tyne??? You'll not get grayling on the coquet but if your willing to drive another 40mins north you've got the till, the fed have some cracking grayling water up near wooler on the till and some very big grayling, it's a small river up there so you have to be stealthy, I like to long trot

Handel

Reaction score
Just to add some confusion, a couple of weeks ago I caught a 4lb grayling on a 14ft salmon rod with a size 4 cascade on the end. I was salmon fishing and no I wasn't in the UK. Fantastic fish.

Mickyo

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Tyne??? You'll not get grayling on the coquet but if your willing to drive another 40mins north you've got the till, the fed have some cracking grayling water up near wooler on the till and some very big grayling, it's a small river up there so you have to be stealthy, I like to long trot
The club I have just joined have beats on the Till so I'll have to make a few enquiries although its very hard to obtain any info as its like the secret society:( no willing members:rolleyes:

Later

Mick

happy days

Reaction score
I learnt to fly fish in the late seventies on the welsh Dee at llangollen and am still a member, they often hold the world grayling championships on this river and a 3lb grayling is not impossible. my go to set up is a guideline lpxe 5wt with a 4cast 5 line. If I could only use one fly it would be the coch y bonddu both wet and dry, others are royal coachman, red tag, and weighted heavily dressed gold ribbed hares ear, some of my biggest grayling have taken a teal blue and silver on the point when I have been fishing the dusk for sea trout, I have never tried the chech nymph but have watched the visiting international teams catch fish after fish. Its good to go after fish that you know are there. The Dee is a beautiful river and anyone visiting N Wales should consider a few hours on the Dee, a day ticket is easily bought from Watkin and Williams hardware shop in Llangollen who also supply access maps, or download them from the website.

Dryfly

Reaction score
Don't forget a red tag. Size 14 to 18. An outstanding Grayling dryfly. I'm not a huge fan of bugs and heavy stuff, love the visual nature of the dryfly. In fact, I very rarely fish anything else for trout and grayling.

Don't be fooled into thinking its winter so no rise. grayling regularly rise freely for hours on end. Grayling are not the sharpest fish in the river so can be rather easy to catch on occasion.

They are very good eating too.

Rrrr

Reaction score
The club I have just joined have beats on the Till so I'll have to make a few enquiries although its very hard to obtain any info as its like the secret society:( no willing members:rolleyes:

Later

Mick
Whats the club mick ? Also the derwent has grayling fishing with day tickets that are really cheap. Its abit overgrown in most places but fishable. A couple of mates fished it last winter but i didnt go as i wanted to see if they caught anything before standing in a freezing stream all day. They had a few fish using dead drifted weighted nymphs and it was the first time they had fished the method or for grayling so not sure if there are a few about or they got lucky.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mickyo

Reaction score
Whats the club mick ? Also the derwent has grayling fishing with day tickets that are really cheap. Its abit overgrown in most places but fishable. A couple of mates fished it last winter but i didnt go as i wanted to see if they caught anything before standing in a freezing stream all day. They had a few fish using dead drifted weighted nymphs and it was the first time they had fished the method or for grayling so not sure if there are a few about or they got lucky.

Feel the same. If I do go out I'll be putting some extra insulation around me Crown Jewels;).
As for the club, not sure I should say as there might be some members on here, and as Ive only just started with them i hate to cause any upset:) if you know what I mean

Later

Mick

Rrrr

Reaction score
They rekoned it was worth the effort and cold but not sure if they had a good day or the river has a healthy stock but for about a fiver a day it may be worth a cast. The guys ive spoke to that fish our bit of club water on the till seem to prefer long trotting with a float and closed face reel for grayling. Not sure if it better suits the water available or they just prefer the method.