Best flies

Hemmy

Reaction score
What flies do people find most successful on the Ayrshire rivers Doon and Stinchar ?

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
Haven't fished them for a few years but when I lived in Glasgow I fished both regularly. From memory, my best flies in summer were a Silver Stoat or if there was a bit of colour in the water, a gold bodied Willie Gunn. As the season wore on I would gradually move to more orange and red coloured flies like Allies Shrimps or a Red Francis. I suppose these flies would work on any salmon river.
Tight Lines

Hemmy

Reaction score
Red devil Is widely spoken of.
Thanks....is that the red bucktail on copper tubes?
I will be spending some time in Ayrshire this year and intend to spend as much time on the rivers as possible.
I am hoping to start the flytying soon in anticipation hence the initial posting

mc andy

Reaction score
Thanks....is that the red bucktail on copper tubes?
I will be spending some time in Ayrshire this year and intend to spend as much time on the rivers as possible.
I am hoping to start the flytying soon in anticipation hence the initial posting
Yes it is. Here is my version of it. The red one's that is.

DSC_0678.jpg

And how effective they are!

20120901_104040.jpg

Last edited:

Hemmy

Reaction score
What type of tubes have you tied the red devils on and are they dressed ?

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
What type of tubes have you tied the red devils on and are they dressed ?
Where do you intend fishing,give me a bit of warning and il get you on failford for a guest day!flies i have success on are flamethrower in orange/yellow/red and my fav black,ally shrimp in all colours,stoats tail/silver stoat or stinchar stoatstail,GP when the rivers warm and falling from a spate and wullie gunn(standard or gold/copper body) and of course the red devil which will work all season long!!heres a few others that take fish too, WP_000426.jpg
the red devil in the pic is tied on a polished copper tube 1/2"

Attachments

Last edited: