Best Christmas present...?

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Santa came and he did spoil... My favourite gift is one I think many of the parents on here would like, as gifts for their children.

A book called The Lost Words - a spell book of poems to the words no longer in the Oxford English Dictionary. Bramble and lark and dandelion and fern, magpie and kingfisher and acorn... It is BEAUTIFUL. Here’s otter:

B44AE959-CF3C-4E68-8EC0-F1FA57E7C6A0.jpeg38533DBC-DF82-4C80-9B11-3C660B76591F.jpegC2877459-C750-4647-857A-FBBC62F4F29E.jpeg

I’d have loved to have read it aloud to seth. It’s a treasure. Well-played by my husband.

What was you favourite gift?

Aled

Reaction score
Nice one Safronfoer, I got a cracking pair of Barbour wellies, some Brecon Gin, and a new shirt.
Cheers
Aled

David R

Reaction score
Santa's sleigh must have been loaded to the gunnels this year, be plenty rods reels etc he had to drop of he dropped by mine with a loop opti nxt ?

Davy

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Had the usual nice shirts, jumpers and bottle of vintage Port. However, the best present will be the Daiwa Kenzaki Uptide Rod and the Abu 7001 multiplier that I buy for myself online in the next couple of days.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like my friend John above I take care of the fishing purchases here and I intend a Bauer RX #5 anodized green so that my old 15 foot Winston Derek Brown 7 weight will finally be color coordinated. I may even get a new Mid Spey 55 for it in ivory.

Other than that I and my wife are happy, we don't actively want anything that I'm aware of outside those things we don't need. Christmas day has been quiet just keeping the wood stove hot and reading these threads :cool:

luney

Reaction score
Got a bottle of Japanese whisky and Cuckoo gin to try out. The book looks mint Dee, jealous of these times you will have with Seth as mine are grown up now. Mind you it does have it's good points the whisky was from my oldest lad. Enjoy your times at Christmas as they grow up to fast.
Hey Ard once again I like your father was the chief cook and bottle washer!! Hope you are enjoying your day and keep feeding the fire.....

westie4566

Reaction score
Got more good wine and whisky than I could shake a stick at, some lovely new shirts (and I'm picky about shirts!!) plus someone picked up on a moan that my slow cooker had blown up a few weeks ago!!

The best and most simple was this - just so thoughtful, and I'm not ashamed to say it brought a tear to my eye this morning.

DSC00535.jpg

Isisalar

Reaction score
Had the usual nice shirts, jumpers and bottle of vintage Port. However, the best present will be the Daiwa Kenzaki Uptide Rod and the Abu 7001 multiplier that I buy for myself online in the next couple of days.
Was about to replace my 40yr old 7000 a few years ago. Eventually settled for a 6501 as being IIRC the only reel in the range that was still made in Sweden to the original spec.
Horror stories about Chinese made 7000s with plastic gears and self destroying level winds. Beware.
There were at the time a few older 7000s on Ebay.

John Keane

Reaction score
Was about to replace my 40yr old 7000 a few years ago. Eventually settled for a 6501 as being IIRC the only reel in the range that was still made in Sweden to the original spec.
Horror stories about Chinese made 7000s with plastic gears and self destroying level winds. Beware.
There were at the time a few older 7000s on Ebay.

Chinese ones must have been copies then as Abu make a point of stressing the brass gears in their 7000, a real workhorse of a reel. A 6500 Abu wouldn’t stand the rigours of uptiding in the Mersey. They are brilliant beach reels though.

Chicharito

Reaction score
Chinese ones must have been copies then as Abu make a point of stressing the brass gears in their 7000, a real workhorse of a reel. A 6500 Abu wouldn’t stand the rigours of uptiding in the Mersey. They are brilliant beach reels though.

I have a couple of 7001C 's (left handers) which I use for boat fishing. So far no problems with them at all.
I got one of them from my local tackle shop' flyonly' which the owner Stuart ordered specially for me through Pure Fishing for a really good price. He stocks quite a bit of Hardys stuff and said he could get most stuff that falls under the Pure Fishing company.

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
I have a couple of 7001C 's (left handers) which I use for boat fishing. So far no problems with them at all.
I got one of them from my local tackle shop' flyonly' which the owner Stuart ordered specially for me through Pure Fishing for a really good price. He stocks quite a bit of Hardys stuff and said he could get most stuff that falls under the Pure Fishing company.

Are you left handed or, like me, a right hander who gets fed up of fishing cack-handed every time a multiplier is needed?

Last edited:

Chicharito

Reaction score
Are you left handed or, like me, a right hander who gets fed up of fishing cack-handed every time a multiplier is needed?

I do write left handed but most other things I am right handed.
I just decided that I would rather reel in left handed like I do when I am spinning or fly fishing. Funnily enough it took a bit of getting used to the left handed multiplier. Much prefer it now though.

John Keane

Reaction score
Currently having a Gordon’s Pink Gin with lots of ice and Fever Tree Tonic. Have to admit it’s very nice!

Isisalar

Reaction score

Oh yes. Very much right handed and in every fishing situation, left hand wind, the really odd thing though is that the few times I've used the 6501 it feels strange to use a multiplier the right way. Will be out practicing with it very soon.
My sister has taken up fishing in the last few years, her husband is a fanatical sea fisherman, I've converted them to a bit of coarse fishing but he's a multiplier man though and through and can't bring himself to reel left handed, he's right handed, my sister ,also right handed, has followed his lead.It's painful to watch. Even ambidextrous Coarse reels are set to RHW.
Hold the rod in right hand mostly and to cast, pass to left hand to retrieve with right hand and probably back to the left to net a fish.
She /He are fishing completely cack handed because multipliers were only available right hand wind,WHY?

lax0341

Reaction score
Because you have to turn the rod that the rodrings look up....

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
I used to have no trouble with using a multiplier and beachcaster and winding right handed while layering line with left thumb. However, if you are right handed, your instinct is to hold the rod and control the fish with your stronger hand (Can’t begin to imagine playing a salmon with my left hand) Thank goodness Abu do a left-handed option on many of their best reels.

I do have a left-handed Daiwa boat multiplier, the Sealine Level Wind and everyone on the boat looks at me like I’m nuts!

Works for me though.

Eminem

Reaction score
@ Saf - the illustrations in your book are lovely. Beautifully drawn and imagined.