Best cheap spinning reel

dave1959

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of catching my first salmon of 22lb, using an old Shakey fibreglass ledger rod, an old Diawa reel from 1979 with plastic cogs and loaded with 6lb line. Its not what i'd recommend mind, but it does show what can be achieved with cheap gear. Unless i was a lucky sod;). Shimano Exage for me(y)

glenelg100

Reaction score
Fish canny tell the difference between a expensive reel and cheap reel same said for rods

Westcountry

Reaction score
something shimano ,you'll get value for money
I used to do a lot of upstream spinning in small rivers, a method that probably uses more casts/minute than any other and lots of fast winding. I used to kill cheap reels in a matter of months or even weeks.
Then I bought Shimano... they are still going strong after over twenty years with zero maintenance. Cheaper in the long run.

Andy

bencarvosso

Reaction score
If you wanted to splash a little extra the best reel I have used in the past few years by far is the okuma helios sx. I know okuma aren't as fashionable as shimano or daiwa but this reel in my opinion better made, solid feeling, the clutch is super smooth, light as a feather.

Worth a look. I have used it for sea trout, salmon, pike and is never been wanting and such a pleasure to use.

simonjh98

Reaction score
The best value for money reel ever made in my opinion is the Shimano Hyperloop. I have 3 in the 2500 size I use for spinning and bubble and fly fishing. Fantastic reel for only £25!! One of mine is about 8 years old and is still ticking over

Holwell53

Reaction score
I have a ninja a couple of years.
Had numerous grilse on it to 10lb
It's one of the best reels for the money on the market at them moment. Lovely clutch and well made.
They are marketing a lt version now which means light and tough and added a few extra quid onto the price. Personally the older one feels better made and more solid.
You won't get much better for the price.
The exage is a good reel too. Had one for quite a few years. Heavier than the ninja. Well made.
If I had to choose i would grab the ninja.
I have a 3000 size ninja holds 200 yards of 40lb braid great clutch , had 6 salmon last season on it spinning,
About £50 can’t go wrong

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Buy cheap buy twice I’ve not long bought a Daiwa bg4000 and i’m well impressed with the quality have a look at the 3or 4000 size https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...ng-Reels.htm&usg=AOvVaw0l9zYpNz-CmIvLcVKj3n3f
Disclaimer: I ended up going for a used Shimano Stradic which is very smooth to use.

I looked at both the Ninja and the BG series referenced above and would say based on feel in the hand, the BG felt much more robust, smooth (akin to the Stradic - close call) and for the extra £30 I’d say worth it.

Rennie

Reaction score
One more of the buy right, buy once club!.You get what you pay for, there's no secrets, no wonder reels for mere pence.I've coarse fished all my life, originally Mitchell and Abu reels.Their quality dropped and I moved to Shimano and Diawa reels. I've used the Original Aero range for years, absolutely solid, ultra reliable and totally dependable.The bigger Aero I used for heavy duty feeder(5oz+) flinging and now use for big river spinning
For years I did my Barbel fishing with a Diawa TD 1650, I've had hundreds on that reel to 9lb, all hit , hold, and pull like crazy to clear "Billy" from the snags.The clutch is wonderful, the gearing solid.£100 reel when new, worth every penny and still going strong!
Honestly, surf the net, do homework and you will get a quality reel at less than you expect, it really is worth dipping deeply into the pockets.
Pedro.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
IMO if your going to go all out to target Salar, spend the money on beats, rods, lines, lures why skimp on the basics. Yes there are some cheap Japanese shimano copies on the market and they may perform for a period of time but in life you get what you pay for. A few years back on the Ribble I tried a bait runner copy and hooked a cracking tide fresh fish over 10lbs it set off running so fast the spool top disintegrated the top flew off, spring broke and spool ejected into the river. I lost the fish. I had two of the same model and the 2nd one seized up after two fish. On the other hand the true shimano baitrunners iv had gave never let me down, keep them serviced they will last years. One I've got is 20plus years old so over the years has proved to be value for money over cheaper models.