Best cheap spinning reel

Compedjjd

Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking for peoples opinions on what the best cheap salmon spinning reel is

Compedjjd

Reaction score
thanks I was looking online in tackle shops and can’t see any for sale any ideas on who sells them

Isisalar

Reaction score
Tired of buying Chinese made poor quality reels from various manufacturers for inflated prices eg. Daiwa £70 reel around yr 2000(3bb if that) that never worked properly at all.
3 yrs ago I thought I'd dive into the cheap Chinese fixed spool market. (95%of my fishing is Centerpins)
Bought 2 reels, 4000 and 5000 size for £24 delivered. They're now about double that in price. Having bought a cheaper model for £6 with 6bb for occasional use I now know that the BB ratings mean the more BB's the better the general quality.
I can assure you that if you find a Yumoshi reel to suit you with double digit BB's you won't be disappointed. EBay is your friend.
Best fixed spool reels I've ever owned. Yes I've had more than one Salmon on them, great clutches good line lay, solid. Bale arm
Has NEVER once failed to engage.

Last edited:

glenelg100

Reaction score

Compedjjd

Reaction score
Because my salmon reel broke and want a replacement reel quickly as my local shop doesn’t sell them other reels

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I have no personal experience of their fixed spools, but know a few who use them and swear by them, some of the ABU reels come highly rated too, just do a search, check the revues , decide on your budget and see what ticks all your boxes, the greater the number of BB,s the smoother they are, but the greater number adds to the weight of the reel, spare spools are useful, best if they are aluminium, plastic spools do not like braid. I always have spools with both braid and mono loaded, braid where distance is needed (with a mono leader), mono for close range scenarios.
peter

Compedjjd

Reaction score
BB5C4BB1-CEBF-4510-96C6-70AE19D89D9D.png

bencarvosso

Reaction score
I have a ninja a couple of years.
Had numerous grilse on it to 10lb
It's one of the best reels for the money on the market at them moment. Lovely clutch and well made.
They are marketing a lt version now which means light and tough and added a few extra quid onto the price. Personally the older one feels better made and more solid.
You won't get much better for the price.
The exage is a good reel too. Had one for quite a few years. Heavier than the ninja. Well made.
If I had to choose i would grab the ninja.

Rrrr

Reaction score

lowforcefly

Reaction score
Can't agree more with the previous two posts !
I have lost count of the number of cheap FS reels I have binned after very little use.
In my early days, it was because it was all I could afford, later it was it was for specific uses where I couldn't warrant the expense along with my main kit.
Never again, it really is false economy.
I would rather buy second hand quality kit, if push came to shove?
I would suggest you buy the best you can afford / warrant, most of us have had to have that discussion with ourselves,
especially as there is quite a bit more to fail when compared with a fly reel, or centre pin.
The exages are proven which is something to consider.
I have had a Penn spinfisher 7500LC , for sea fishing, since they came out, and it has so far proved bomb proof...have a look at there range.
Good luck which ever way you go !

Mel....

bencarvosso

Reaction score
I also agree with the above posts, but if you are on a budget the ninja is a lot of reel for the money. I have used and use stradics, daiwa tdrs and various other higher end reels, and you do get what you pay for, but having really abused the ninja I can't fault it and it has done everything a more expensive reel has ever done for me.
Now if it lasts another few years of abuse then I would say that it's 50 quid price tag was a steal.

rotenone

Reaction score
hi I was thinking on the Penn wrath 4000 what’s your opinion on that ?]
Penn are a much over looked reel generally speaking they are excellent as posted the exage front drag is great budget reel

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk