Best beats for March

Reaction score
Hi there!

I usually fish the Association water at Grantown in May so i know that area well.

My other half has booked us a week on Speyside near Aviemore this year mid to end March! Great news and I can bring my gear.

I am right to say the fish aren't that far up in March - wheres best to be heading, I don't really want to spend more the £50 a day & prefer fly only. To be fair I think the beats around Abernethy / Boat of Garten are nice stretches even if the fish aren't there at that time but its always good to feel you have a decent chance of a pull.

Looking forward to some advise.

Thanks.

G

guest2938

Hi there!

I usually fish the Association water at Grantown in May so i know that area well.

My other half has booked us a week on Speyside near Aviemore this year mid to end March! Great news and I can bring my gear.

I am right to say the fish aren't that far up in March - wheres best to be heading, I don't really want to spend more the £50 a day & prefer fly only. To be fair I think the beats around Abernethy / Boat of Garten are nice stretches even if the fish aren't there at that time but its always good to feel you have a decent chance of a pull.

Thanks.

For that money, and if fishing midweek, you may be lucky enough to pick up a rod at Tulchan. Nice experience for you, one of the premier Spey beats, and as good a chance of a fish as any. That`s where id go.

ive even linked the contact details for you

Fishing - Tulchan Estate

Good luck

DCH

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score
I used to gillie at Tulchan and heartily recommend it. Lots of lovely fly water! In 2017 March tickets were £35, cheaper even than Grantown Assoc., so well worth the extra 8 mile drive to Advie. I heard last week that a landslide has wiped out B Beat's hut - flattened it overnight! - so maybe A, C or D will be warmer at lunchtime.
There are some good videos of Tulchan's pools on YT if you want to check the beats out before booking.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
With the current weather, fish will be pushing further upriver than the last few years. I will be surprised if there is not a fish off Grantown water in March. Tulchan and Castle Grant will be well worth a go.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I think I will book at Tulchan, then take the odd day on Grantown if I'm allowed!

Morse

Reaction score
Tulchan B hut

I used to gillie at Tulchan and heartily recommend it. Lots of lovely fly water! In 2017 March tickets were £35, cheaper even than Grantown Assoc., so well worth the extra 8 mile drive to Advie. I heard last week that a landslide has wiped out B Beat's hut - flattened it overnight! - so maybe A, C or D will be warmer at lunchtime.
There are some good videos of Tulchan's pools on YT if you want to check the beats out before booking.

Hi Mr Chessman!

I understand a shooting lodge has been allotted to B beat pending re construction,(Not far from the beat)

Hoping to see you on spey again before too long.

Best wishes

Morse

Last edited:

tony rentokil

Reaction score
pensioner wow

Hi Lewis, and ,scoops,,,we met some time ago at that very hut,,,great stretch of water,,,when would you say are the best months and prices etc,,,say 100 to 150 per day,,,Oh I never had a pull back then but it was the last week in March,
Regrsd Tony Rentokil.

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score
Hello, Tony, Hello, Morse!
I'm afraid that, under the new ownership's policy, my services are no longer required at Tulchan and I'm currently seeking work elsewhere. This very night I'm sat in a really nice hotel room in the N.E. of Scotland looking forward to an interview tomorrow morning. It would be indiscreet to say where but I'd be honoured to work here, as I was at Tulchan. :)

Tony, from memory prices tended to rise steeply after March, so April may be the only dates within your price range - I'm pretty sure May was £200+. If that's too much then it might be worth asking the office about late September prices. I don't know what they'll say but there were often fewer rods on the beats then and if you don't mind fishing for coloured fish then it might be an option.

My best wishes to members who fish there this season. I always considered it a privilege whether a guest or an employee and learnt so much from John, Roddy and Lawrence over the years, but 'All Things Must Pass', as Mr. G. Harrison once sang.
Hopefully, a new start on fresh waters begins tomorrow!

John Keane

Reaction score
Hi there!

Thanks.

If they’re getting them at Tulchan then they’ll be going through Ballindalloch and Pitchroy is very reasonable. We are going at the end of May at approx £125 a day, well cheaper than Tulchan (where I shall be on D Beat 2nd week in April)

scoops

Reaction score
Hi Lewis, and ,scoops,,,we met some time ago at that very hut,,,great stretch of water,,,when would you say are the best months and prices etc,,,say 100 to 150 per day,,,Oh I never had a pull back then but it was the last week in March,
Regrsd Tony Rentokil.

Hi Tony, how are you, you been catching any salmon the past season?
Im up 2nd week of April still reasonable then, but after that creeps up sharply on the price list I have from May onwards, well out my price range, only been on A & B and they are both cracking places to fish, hopefully see some of the big Spey fish that are on the go next month

tony rentokil

Reaction score
spey beats

Hi Scoops,,,not really put the hours in on the Wye syndicate water Im in,,though a lot of the time the river was out of order.
Whats the set up,as regards booking the spey now,since the change of owners?
I heard you have to book a package,accomadation etc.
Tony Rentokil.

scoops

Reaction score
Hi Scoops,,,not really put the hours in on the Wye syndicate water Im in,,though a lot of the time the river was out of order.
Whats the set up,as regards booking the spey now,since the change of owners?
I heard you have to book a package,accomadation etc.
Tony Rentokil.

Not sure about that, I only booked the 3 days fishing through the estate as before, and a hotel separate in Grantown, give them an email they reply quickly and helpful with any queries, they do now offer catering packages for lunches and evening meals delivered to the hut of the beat your on, looks nice but il be sticking to a carrier bag with sandwiches n crisps